You are here

Frustrated

DarlingMom28337's picture

I've been feeling frustrated lately and just wanting to have a break from my stepson who lives with us. He's lived with us for about 8 years now. His behavior has progressively got more and more selfish over time. He is always trying to put down the other kids in the house, and talks about himself 24/7, turning every conversation into about him. He doesn't want to share, but expects to use everyone else's things even without asking. He seems to often have an attitude, is very short and acts disrespectful and entitled. He has been acting very selfish for a while now and its just increasingly worsening with time. He is always wanting extra privledges, has his own room (while the others share) and complains when he is asked, like every child, to contribute and help take out the trash or put away dishes. Everything in his eyes is unfair, although in reality he has alot more freedom and privledges than the other children. He has to be told multiple times to do something, has been increasingly shady and sneaky, lies, and keeps taking things from others in the house without asking. We are at our wits end with his behavior and attitude. 

tog redux's picture

How old is he? Does your husband parent him or just let him get away with his behavior?

14 years old. Inconsistent routines. I'm always the one reminding and trying to enforce rules. I have asked him since 6th grade to take 2 cold lunches a week and we pay for 3 hot lunches. He has NEVER consistently done it and all together last year and this year he just doesnt do it and buys everyday and the school charges us.

notasm3's picture

How you deal with this totally depends on his age.  If he's now 8 or 9 he's still a young child.  If he's 16 then he's old enough for you to tell him to go eff himself.

Katie Step Mom 2017's picture

how old is he? His age is so important.. although I don’t think age is an excuse, I want to help your sanity by telling you it gets better. My SS was the most selfish person I’ve ever known from age 12-16. Like seriously soooooo BAD. A complete nightmare... manipulative, false sense of confidence, entitlement, emotional abuse.. and absolutely no regard for others. 

I wish I could give you better advice but the only thing that helped me was complete disengagement. I interacted only when necessary. I was blunt, and I didn’t put up with his shit. I stopped putting a lot of effort into holidays, birthdays, etc because I believed he was old enough to know he was a selfish ass hole and he didn’t deserve the efforts from me, and they would never be reciprocated. When I stopped, it felt good because there was no disappointment or expectations. 

Good luck to you *give_rose*

Maxwell09's picture

I watched this video this week on Facebook of a psychologist explaining teen behavior. She basically classified them as reverted toddlers in a big lanky body they are too confused on how to use to control. She said parents need to accept the self centered ness as a green flag their kid is being a normal teen but correct the behavior and show them how to “adult” in a sense. 

He knows what hes doing because he always openly said he was going to use his BM to make her buy expensive things for him and take advantage of her. She contacted us and told us he's also been very disrespectful and rude to her and doesnt follow rules there either.