You are here

Financing University

Modernworld1011's picture

My spouse's divorce settlement specifies that both parents are responsible for undergraduate college fees. The fees are capped at cost of state college, but there is no specification with regard to which parent pays what amount. Does anyone have any familiarity with how this usually shakes out if there are currently no support orders in play? Salaries are at parity, but the ex has more bills and more debt. Is this something decided by a court? i am trying to understand for budgeting purposes, so there are no surprises in a couple of years. Thank you in advance for any information shared.

CH2015's picture

In most cases here in Alabama typically the cost are split down the middle and each parent covers their portion. In the event that one parent or the other is unable to pay then a court order would need to be in place to force that parent to come up with the money. Also all student loans would be in the childs name so the mothers debit would not factor in there not allowing her to be able to secure the funds to pay.

Rags's picture

I agree with you on this Sally. If expenses beyond CS are split 50/50 then it is logical that college costs would be similarly divided. Unfortunately family law courts are generally far from logical so it would probably be a good idea to ask the court for a clarification just to avoid the potential drama.

SM12's picture

You may need to check with an attorney on this but many states have changed how College is to be paid in a divorce situation. From my understanding, many states now have changed it to where CS stops at 19. They are no longer forcing parents to foot the bill for college tuition. Therefore, your CO could be challenged and changed.

Last In Line's picture

Why should either parent be paying?? Unless it is required by the state, then the kid should either make it through on scholarships or loans. Parental financing of college isn't mandatory--hell, who could afford it anyway?

Calypso1977's picture

my fiances has the same wording (the cap is a godsend) but it is explicit that he pays one-third of tuition only.

jumanji's picture

My ex volunteered to pay 100% (there were reasons for that). He's paid nothing. Whatevs. By next May, I will have two college grads.