You are here

Eye for an eye

Invisible91's picture

So, I've given up trying to greet SO's daughter whenever she walks through the door as she makes an obvious point of ignoring me. She'll smile and greet her mother and won't even bother to look my way if I am not sitting right next to SO...
However, she DOES have a very nice boyfriend (who does EVERYTHING for her--I feel sorry for him) and he will make a point of including me in the dynamic--it's not only about SO, its about US, as a unit.
I will say hello to him right in front of SO's daughter and ignore her...She isn't the sensitive type, though, so she doesn't take it personally.

She has REALLY been making a point of ignoring me for the past couple of days and I think it is because I took in a stray cat from the neighborhood (I am a HUGE animal lover) and she doesn't like the fact that she may have some fleas and can no longer take her boyfriend's dog over to our house. Her boyfriend is nice to the cat and will interact with her, but SO's daughter will ignore her too (probably because she's MY cat, as SO told her).

I didn't like how she treated my cat last night when her boyfriend was over. She shouted at the cat several times to get out of her room and clapped her hands (which I'm afraid may have scared her). I could feel my body tensing up as I heard this from the other room, and I was just about to go over there and take the cat out of the room MYSELF, just so she wouldn't bother the poor baby. If it happens again, I might just flip. This cat is my baby and I feel like a mother to her.

notsurehowtodeal's picture

Are you treating the cat for the fleas? You might want to consider confining her to one room of the house until you are sure the fleas are gone - otherwise they will infest the house and she will get them again.

Once she has the run of the house, you need to explain to SD how she should treat the cat. If she doesn't want the cat in her room she should close the door!

jumanji's picture

Well - DOES the cat have fleas? Has she been spayed? She HAS been vet-checked, right? I love animals and have taken in my share of strays. But I would be a bit peeved if a previously outdoor animal that "might" have fleas was allowed into my room w/o anyone asking. Why don't YOU just shut her door?

ChiefGrownup's picture

Do not allow her to yell at cat. March right in there and tell her never to speak to cat like that again. Do not seek permission from your SO first. Just do it. Don't yell yourself, but use a scary voice. Very firm, very calm, and a few notes lower than your normal relaxed voice. Pierce her with your laser focused eyes.

Then pick up the cat, leave the room, close the door behind you so cat cannot go in their again.

SM12's picture

Seriuously!! You are such a CHILD!!
The girl does not like you! She does not want interact with you! It has been made clear over and over and over.
No amount of blogs will change that fact.
You getting a mangy cat will change that fact.
If someone brought a flea infested animal in my home I would be pissed too.
Seriuously...the girl is a teen. In her world you have dont NOTHING to deserve her attention, love, acceptance.
You are just the chic sleeping with her mom.
You will NEVER be besties....let it GOOOOO!!!

Stepskids ignoring StepParents has been a theme since the first divorce. You are nothing special.
Leave the girl ALONE! She is free to talk to or ignore who she chooses.
You forcing her to say "HELLO" is not going to make her like you any more.
From my perspective, you are too damn needy and she can see it. She is just loving the fact that she can get to you so easily.
Ignore her, or go get your own place and only see your SO when the kids are away.