You are here

Disrespectful, mentally disturbed stepson ruining my life

momsos31's picture

First post here, so I apologize now for the long vent. 
i have an almost 13-year-old stepson who I have raised for the past 5 years when his dad and I got together. I have 2 bio daughters from a previous marriage, one also almost 13, and the other 7, and then my husband and I completed our family with a daughter of our own this year. 
Back story: my stepson was not planned by my husband and his ex, they forcefully married and then ended up separating when SS was 2 while my husband was in the military. My husband would visit and check up on SS over the years to which the Bio mom (who I like to refer to as egg donor), would reply all is well. Fast forward to SS being 5 years old when my husband's military term was up, and bio mom tells hubby that he needs to take SS, she "can't care for him anymore" (in my and my SIL's opinion, the child support payments were stopping and he was just a paycheck for her). Husband and his family go to pick up SS from her and discover she had lied about many things, and that he had missed a good chunk of kindergarten, she was taking him out to bars to live her party life, and the living conditions were horrid for a toddler. I imagine he was stuck in front of a tv with a bag of chips while she slept off her hangovers, speculating of course. BM has lived 2 hrs away ever since and has MAYBE visited/called SS a total of 6 days in 5 yrs, half of those being that we were in the area and stopped for him to see her. 
From 5 years old to 7 1/2, my husband took on full-time dad and had issues with his son he didn't know how to handle (routine pee and poop accidents where he'd hide his underwear in the closet, behind the toilet, etc.), social awkwardness, poor eating habits with the exception of very few dishes, poor behavior at school, etc. 

Husband and I started dating when SS was 7, things were great, and I invited him and his son, at this time 8, to move into my (I consider our) house and we all movied in together on the day I closed on it (as I was in the process of purchasing after my divorce finalized). For the first year, things were ok, SS still had issues but I never wanted to overstep hubby's parenting of his son or push myself on SS being a stepmom. Then when SS was 9, my husband entered into a demanding, full time night shift position. Things have only gotten worse since as I've had to progressively become the primary parent and disciplinary. 
Now, my stepson's issues have only escalated. His potty accidents never ceased at least until he was 12 years old (his room always stinks but i've given up checking). When he was 10, I got tired of scrubbing his underwear and deep cleaning his bed, and decided it was time for him to wash his own clothes, so back to hiding them it was. Tried giving him kid diapers to which he absolutely refused and gave me arguments for him to wear them. He will not brush his teeth or bathe worth anything. He will lie and run water, and I have to send him back in again after a nasty ass stare down from his devilish eyes. If I tell him "do this, finish your homework, eat that, or choose between these snacks," etc. he will without a doubt be defiant and go out of his way to do the opposite of what was asked of him.
When confronted for doing wrong, he blatantly LIES. But I've tried the other extreme of letting him do what he wants all day and not ask a single thing of him, and he still won't do what he's supposed to do. Once i didn't say a word all day to him, and he literally played video games for 11 hrs until i went over, softly told him that was enough and to go get ready for dinner. He never got dressed, brushed his teeth, or grabbed anything more than crackers all day. He threw his hands up and yelled at me that he "barely was on it!" He will slam things, hit walls, break his toothbrush, destroy anything new for the home I get, write on furniture, throw away anything I bought for him when sent to his room after his behavior (xmas presents, clothes, shoes) stating he doesn't use them or doesn't like them. I really think he is the cause of a recent nail in my tire as I have too much suspecting evidence. 
He has always had disciplinary or behavioral issues at school also. With a written behavioral evaluation from his school and a verbal evaluation from his pediatrician, he was diagnosed as having ADD, ODD and no incontinence, he CHOSE to have accidents. And for the record, before this kid, I NEVER believed in these diagnosis, and very wrongfully chalked it up to lack of parenting. I finally had enough 2 yrs ago and got hubby to agree that SS needed therapy. But with husband's schedule, I had to be the one to take him to therapy every week to no avail.
Finally one morning before therapy, i ignored SS's attitude while telling him to get ready as everything is an argument- eating breakfast, brushing teeth, getting on clean clothes- and i sat down for the HALF HOUR and just wrote all the issues he was given me or my girls (as he particularly likes to pick on my younger daughter, now 7). I got to therapy, told the therapist that i was sitting out as i had my other kids with me this time, gave her the paper and said "here was our morning." The therapist came out after the session, and apparently getting SS's reaction to the issues she now read about, and said "this is way beyond me, he needs to see a psychiatrist. And hide your knives."

We need to bring him, but there's no decent ones around here. I've put so much time, money and energy into this kid, while trying not to let him hinder the time I have with my older daughters on my week (shared custody with decent co-parenting with my ex). My husband is at a loss with what to do, knows his son has issues, admits that I'm a great mom as he claims my girls are perfect, but yet, at times blames my coldness towards his son to be part of the problem. I don't want to be that way, i used to never even curse, but this kid has brought out the absolute worst in me, and i honestly hate him for all he's putting me through and trying to take away from my girls. 
When husband's home, I try to step back and let him deal with him, and he will support me in disciplining for the most part, but also hates to see his son in a constant state of grounding. I cook and clean and have a self-employed business as well while taking care of our baby and my other girls. I don't put much on the kids as far as chores as I want them to be a kid, basically just "clean your room, shower, brush your teeth, eat dinner, feed the pets, do homework and use manners." THIS, he can't do. I'm firm with my consequences if you don't follow rules, so if I say no tv for the weekend, there is no tv for the weekend. No empty threats here. I set the same rules for all the kids, and I don't agree with being easier on him just because he's difficult as this also sets an example for the younger ones. 
Being the main parent while my husband works at night and sleeps during the day sucks with a stepkid like him. I used to call husband at work and tell him how SS was acting, but with husband's line of work, it's not best to keep distracting him and unloading home problems on him while on duty. If I try to ignore SS while home alone with him, he will purposely try to annoy and disrupt me if trying to watch 20 min. of tv, or keep hitting his door if sent to his room, and then if confronted, he acts naive. Same with school phone calls or while talking to his grandparents about his behavior with me, he's always "the victim."

I'm so done, and have seriously contemplated divorce for peace of mind. I do imagine husband will be just as eager for SS to get a life of his own at 18, but I don't know how to deal with 5 more years. I love my husband soo much, but I despise this kid just as equally. I never thought I'd be an evil stepmomster, but I don't know what to do to be happy or to find a middle ground with this kid. Any advice is welcomed!

ndc's picture

Have you discussed your husband getting a first shift job so he can do the heavy lifting with this kid?  This living situation cannot be good for your children, and it's clear it's not good for you.  Is boarding school/group home an option?  Have you considered living apart until the SS is 18 (although I can't imagine this kid will successfully launch).  Did you hide the knives?  I'd be petrified to live with a kid whose therapist told me to do that.

SteppedOut's picture

Completely agree.

Seriously? Surely the ONLY job for your husband can't be this night shift job. It just CAN'T be. And how DARE he try to blame some of this on YOU! 

Why did he just leave his kid with bm? He never saw the child? BM clearly was wrong, but so was he. 

This is not fair to you, or your daughters. Does their dad know the therapist told you to hide the knives? You could lose your children over this - if I was your ex, no way I would want my young daughters around demon preteen. 

What happen when puberty hits and ss is big enough to overpower you? 

I'm sorry, but sometimes "love" is not enough. This is one of those times. Either he steps up in a major way - INCLUDING finding a job that allows HIM to parent HIS SON AND get this kid the treatment he needs or you should live apart, or divorce. 

Yawza. I hope that isn't too harsh, I don't intend it to be mean... just sometimes when you are living in chaos you get "used to it" and it feels almost "normal". What you (and your daughters!) are going through is anything but. You need to help yourself and your children. 

momsos31's picture

Harsh or not, I appreciate and need to hear the feedback from a neutral party. 
so to answer ndc, DH was ordered out on seas for months at a time so he didn't get to see him unless back on homeland. And I have considered a boarding school for him but seems the only ones are really expensive and out-of-state. DH has threatened boot camp with him before, which I am for (I'll try anything), but I honestly think it was just an empty threat from him.
I did put the knives away and did tell DH what the therapist said, but also know SS was just looking for attention by bringing up self-harm. He told the therapist that same day he purposely cut his tongue apparently, but I found out from my daughter and his cousin that he was chewing on a pen cap and accidentally cut his tongue a little. He is a very petite kid for his age, and I don't see him overpowering me anytime soon, especially since he likes to act weak when asked to do any sort of physical labor. 
I bring it up often that it's harder on me because I HAVE to be the primary disciplinary because of DH working nights, and he has agreed to switch to days when his time is up, which due to his situation, prbly won't be for another 5 years unless his employer makes a change, and by then, this kid better be launched somewhere. 

Winterglow's picture

"DH has threatened boot camp "

OK, here's what you do... You find out everything you can about boot camp and the next time it comes up, you tell your dh where it is and calmly hand him the application papers (or whatever it is you need to get the kid in) - possibly already completed and only needing his signature.

SteppedOut's picture

But why is his ONLY option THAT job?? Especially right now - there are so many positions open paying top dollar! It is definitely an employee's market. 

Awful convenient for HIM. 

simifan's picture

I would not count on this. My BS grew over 15" from 12-14. I swear he grew over an inch a month at times. 

Rumplestiltskin's picture

It's sad but it sounds like the damage done by BM's parenting is deep-set. It's going to take more than you can do to correct if it's even possible. I would look into a therapeutic boarding school or maybe inpatient therapy. Also agree that your DH needs to work a shift that allows him to deal with his son. Don't put yourself in this position. You aren't the one to correct this, except to put boundaries in place that protect you and your children. 

momsos31's picture

Thank you. I feel like so much is on me to try to "fix" this kid, but there's just no fixing him. Something is definitely miswired in his brain with all his emotional tantums and how out of the way he goes to be defiant. I'll have to look into a possible inpatient program. Honestly haven't thought of that. Ty

stepmarch88's picture

I have felt the same way about my 13 yo SD and thought I could actually make a difference and force some kind of drastic change. I was wrong and I feel like I should have checked out a long time ago but i did the best i could and it sounds like you have tried to be civil and courteous toward yours. It's weird to read that somone else's SK is acting the same way with tantrums and on a mission to be defiant but some of this is just teenage stuff, right? at least that's what a lot of people say but don't you think it's different when it's your SK versus bio kid? thank you

momsos31's picture

Yes! It's completely different when it's the SK rather than Bio because, at least with my SS, I'm put into that parenting role, and because I'm not his real parent, he feels almost entitled to treat me with disrespect. I have had many talks with him and have put it in the perspective that I'm just another adult in the "village" helping to raise him, just as his aunts/uncles, grandparents, teachers, coaches, etc. and as an adult (nvmd a parent), there should be common respect. But that's where this is some miswiring with him, there is NO consideration for anyone else. It's only "this is what I want and that's it" and even when I give him an option he likes, he'll refuse it for the sake of arguing. It's so beyond frustrating. How long have you been dealing with your SD's issues and has anything helped? Anything to help keep your marriage strong?

Rags's picture

Far from "teenage stuff".  He wants to act like a toddler, bend his ass over the arm of the sofa, grab the paddle, and give him a lesson in age appropriate behavior Vs consequences.

smh

smh 

Rags's picture

Where misery is the consequence for poor choices.

Have his therapist write a statement to the court outlining how dangerous it is to have this kid in the home with your girls. Take the choices out of the hands of DH and his toxic fvck nugget.

If you have no choice but to have him remain in your home, have him medicated into an eternal stupor.

If DH does not have the balls to effectively parent, then outsource it and make abject misery the consequence for SS's choices. 

Take care of yourself and your girls and get this kid and all of his associated drama and risks out of your home and family.

All IMHO of course.

I share your fury over all of this.

momsos31's picture

Thank you. I definitely have my focus on my girls, and for the most part, it's just A BUNCH of defiance between him and I with me parenting him. DH did agree to meds before and we had him on some light ADD stuff, but def. didn't fix the disrespect and defiance part as that's a chosen behavior. If I could send this kid away, for even just a month of real disciplinary action fof him to see how good he has it at home, I think that would do wonders. But then again, with how miswired his brain seems to be, he'd prbly just resent me more for doing it. 

Winterglow's picture

I have nothing to add to the excellent advice already given but wanted to send you a ron of hugs because you must be emotionally, mentally, and physically exhausted. 

(((((HUGS))))) 

momsos31's picture

Ugh, you summed it up perfectly. I definitely needed these hugs, so THANK YOU! I'm so glad I posted, I keep feeling like there's something wrong I'm doing, especially since i've personally considered sending this kid away for help, so it's such a relief to have others understand how I feel. 

Nette5's picture

Look up RADS - Reactive Attachment Disorder.

Basically, he was neglected the first 5 years of his life & never learned to bond with another human being. This is not something easily fixed.  

I believe my nephew had this when he was a baby because: my sister didn't want a baby then, went through a divorce before he was born, didn't want a boy, mostly focused on her daughter, & then my dad had a life changing accident when nephew was 5 months old & my sister focused on helping my mom.

This nephew still has issues like not being able to remember faces of family members & other stuff I'm not around to see. I do believe his step dad adopting him & sister when they were under 5 helped a great deal, but I'm sure some of his issues are related to RADS.

shamds's picture

Easy solution, as amilitary man, i'm surprised your partner hasn't gone down this route, ss is told to shower, if he refuses he is told to immediately go to backyar and you hose him down eith garden hose and body wash shampoo and rinse off. 

1 session of that and the humiliation should sort out this bullshi*!! No way would i allow a filthy stinky skid to remain in my home this filthy. Nope not happening 

i have several military family members and they all run a tight ship at home. Their kids fear repercussions from military dad. The fact you're being told to hide the knives is crazy

momsos31's picture

Right?! I feel like I do have to run a tighter ship with him because him not following basic rules affects my other kids and my house. He's the kind of kid though, if we were to hose bathe him like that, he would then act out even more later because now he's mad about that. There seems to be no disciplinary action that can whoop some sense into him.