You are here

Did I not think this through

RemarriedWidow11's picture

I am a widowed mother of 2 (kids are 23 and 18 yrs old). My daughter (23) has moved out and my son (18) is currently in college. For the most part, they were easy to raise, they behave, are polite and respectful. I remarried 6 years ago to a man with 2 kids of his own (now 16 and 12). My stepdaughter (12) is pretty good for the most part. My stepson is as well, however, I am having difficulty dealing with him now smoking marijuana. Dad doesn’t seem to mind as long as he keeps it from our home. He has not done this and it upsets me to no end. And when I say anything, my husband thinks I’m picking on him and tells me he’s a good kid. I never allowed this with my kids. Drugs was an absolute no, especially since my first husband/kids’ dad died of an accidental overdose of pain medication. I have zero tolerance. Yet I feel like my husband and my SS do not care. The other issues I’m having is my SS is just plain disrespectful. He thinks he knows everything, he is manipulative, he lies, he’s selfish and rude. My husband favors him so he doesn’t seem to notice, gives in to everything he wants, and believes the lies. Yet, I want to scream at the top of my lungs every time I notice this behavior. SS’s mother is hardly in the picture. She favors her daughter and does very little for her son. She is a narcissistic sociopath so I wonder if he is the apple not falling far from the tree. Things were different in the beginning. We meshed well, our kids got along, we seemed to fit and have the same goals for our family. However, now I’m starting to wonder if I should’ve thought marrying my husband through a little more. Now that I’ve had to deal with his ex, see how different our parenting styles are when it comes to his son only, and how my feelings don’t really seem to matter when it comes to SS, I’m wondering if it’s time to move on or if this is worth fighting for. 

RemarriedWidow11's picture

I forgot to mention that my husband works nights and I work days and we do not have days off together, which means that my husband has constant free time in the mornings while kids are in school, and I have his 2 plus my son every night and on weekends. I feel overwhelmed and like I never get a break. And on top of that, I deal with my SS who drives me absolutely crazy. 

lieutenant_dad's picture

You made a very fair compromise about the pot. You'll let go of the fact that SS smokes (you're not the parent, so it's not your problem) so long as it's not in your house. However, your DH and SS don't like that and are doing as they wish.

A few things I would consider:

• Toss the pot everytime it's in the house. When confronted about it, stand firm and say, "I said not in my house and I meant it; you don't like that rule, I can either have the cops deal with it or you can move out - choice is yours." That would be said to BOTH DH and SS.
  • Call the cops. State that you found it on SS and would like for them to handle it. I'm usually not a fan of involving the cops in parenting issues, but your DH and SS BOTH need to know that this is serious, unless it's legal in your state (still wouldn't be legal for SS).
  • Make a stand with DH. Remind him that there was a fair compromise, and he is being an arse and not a partner by tossing that compromise out the window. If he wants SS to be able to smoke in his home, then he can find a new home with SS.
  • Move out and live separately. You can remain married, but you keep the pot out of your new home.

Your DH allowing SS to be disrespectful would be enough for me to consider moving out. I can put up with a lot, but once I am no longer valued as an equal adult in my relationship, I lose all respect for my partner.

Rags's picture

Things change and past agreements may no longer be viable.  So... call the cops and let the now adult 18yo deal with the authorities regarding his drug use.

Nothing you or DH can do at this point will drive home the point to this toxic young adult kid.  Let the legal consequences of his behavior make the point.

The presnecr of pot in your home is easy to fix if there are no pot smokers in  your home.