You are here

"dad, i was thinking id like to go into the military"

Calypso1977's picture

This is what my SD13 said to her father.

A child who has never been told "no", who constantly gets her own way, and who drops out of sports because its "too much running".

I told him she'd last a week at most. First time she mouths off to her superior officer and has to run 10 miles and do 500 pushups she's screwed. I also think you have to have pretty good grades and be able to pass the entrance test. yeah, dont think tha'ts gonna happen either.

although i would enjoy seeing her have her ass kicked, and the though of her being shipped far, far, far away.....for years at a time....

Aniki-Moderator's picture

My SS16 wants to join the military. While I like the boy most of the time, his mouth is running constantly, he's lazy except for his mouse/game control hands, and likes sleeping until noon.

On the flip side, if he actually joins and makes the cut, CS ends that much sooner!

thinkthrice's picture

Just listened to a recruiter on the radio a couple weeks ago. The military is getting more and more selective due to the dumbing down of the Western world's "educational" system.

They require good grades, no run ins with the law (not even speeding tickets or moving violations--they check into EVERYTHING) and preferable someone with college courses in math or science.

My son went into the Air Force Reserves back in January of 2012. He came from a pretty strict background (my parenting) and had excellent grades, is physically fit, college credits in math and science, no criminal record, just a couple speeding tickets and it took a loooooonnnnnnnnng time for him to get in!!

My skids would NEVER EVER EVER make it in the military. They would choose JAIL over the military anyway. The local jails around here are basically a resort. Yoga, painting, television, 3 squares, free medical, dental, eyecare, meds, etc. etc.

thinkthrice's picture

Just what we need. . .a weakened military. Oh wait the CIC is doing that anyway. Ok I'll shut up now.

thinkthrice's picture

I wasn't talking about massive troops, I was talking about the current U.S. regime's obvious dislike/disrespect for the military and the mad dash to defund it as well as to release dangerous enemies.

Yes, the military is much more technical nowadays then it once was.

JingerVZ's picture

No offence LadyFace, but I doubt the rest of the world elected the US as its police force.
Most countries don't want or appreciate this self elected role.

moeilijk's picture

Have to be careful about who 'people' is. "Peacekeeping" is now often an euphemism for military-enforced order that large numbers of people disagree with, but benefits the people with wealth/political control.

Aniki-Moderator's picture

SS16 gets excellent grades. I don't believe he has the mental/physical stamina for the rigors of military.

Drac0's picture

I'm curious as to what SD's rationale is.

And what thinkthrice said above is true. Depending on the outfit, the military has higher standards for being eligible for recruitment.

CantKeepDoingThis's picture

You know what? If SD15 wanted to join the military, I'd say go for it!! There have been some cases where they actually turned those who otherwise would not become productive citizens into such. Might do her some good if she can make it in. She isn't getting any structure from her parents...they just let her run the show. Structure is something some people just need. She won't be allowed to make it all about her in the the military. She will have to be responsible, no blaming things on others, no one else to pick up her crap for her (like DH eventually does when she doesn't clean her mess).

Hmmmmm...makes me think I should go pick up some pamphlets for the various branches and leave them laying around the house. Wink

Calypso1977's picture

SD is a follower. Plain and simple. Her cousin is going into the Navy. Im sure he's told her about how "cool it is" and he has been anxious to ship out - sounds like he hates life and is using the military as an escape.

Willow2010's picture

SS went in in 2012 right after he graduated HS. His grades were barely above passing and he was a very unruly and disrespectful kid all through school.

They took him in with NO problem. His boot camp was all inside air conditioned training facility's. The officers that train them at boot camp now are not allowed to curse or holler that the kids in boot camp now. It was absurd. It sounds more like boy scout training than the military.

SS has been disciplined at least 3 times since he went in. (over a year) I don't think they will kick him out. THANK GOODNESS!!!

If they will take SS, they will take almost anyone.

Rags's picture

Recruiters are definitely becoming more selective as the military is shrinking and they will have to do more with fewer people.

My SS reported to USAF BMT in April 2011. He just completed year 3 of his initial 6 year enlistment. Getting in is not the only challenge regarding the military. Staying in even for only one enlistment is not a given any more. They have ever decreasing tolerance for bullshit. My skid has seen several of his peers booted out for a variety of stupid shit.

During his long interface with both the USMC and USAF recruiters we witnessed many kids who were rejected due to grades, school discipline issues, legal issues, physical fitness, etc.... Don't bet on a slug kid getting in and if they do get in, don't bet that their selected service will tolerate their presence for long if they don't pull their head out of their ass.

My Skid is doing well and just tested for E-5. If his test score and other qualifications are adequate he will be promoted in the Fall. So far I am proud of him. I take some of the credit. His mom and I raised him with expectations and I am sure that his Jr. and Sr. year of high school at Military School did not hurt.

Good luck with your skid.

Rags's picture

There are several good military schools throughout the country.

Admiral Farragut Academy (St. Petersburg, Florida; coeducational)
Army and Navy Academy (Carlsbad, California)
Camden Military Academy (Camden, South Carolina)
Carson Long Military Institute (New Bloomfield, Pennsylvania)
Chamberlain-Hunt Academy (Port Gibson, Mississippi; coeducational)
Christian Brothers Academy (Albany, New York)
Culver Military Academy (Culver, Indiana)
Fishburne Military School (Waynesboro, Virginia)
Florida Air Academy (Melbourne, Florida; coeducational from 2005)
Forest Hill Military Academy(Millersburg, Kentucky)
Fork Union Military Academy (Fork Union, Virginia)
Hargrave Military Academy (Chatham, Virginia)
Howe Military School (Howe, Indiana; coeducational)
La Salle Institute (Troy, New York)
Lyman Ward Military Academy (Camp Hill, Alabama)
Marine Military Academy (Harlingen, Texas)
Marion Military Institute (Marion, Alabama; coeducational)
Massanutten Military Academy (Woodstock, Virginia; coeducational)
Missouri Military Academy (Mexico, Missouri)
New Mexico Military Institute (Roswell, New Mexico; coeducational)
New York Military Academy (Cornwall on Hudson, New York; coeducational)
Oak Ridge Military Academy (Oak Ridge, North Carolina; coeducational)
Randolph-Macon Academy (Front Royal, Virginia; coeducational)
Riverside Military Academy (Gainesville, Georgia)
San Marcos Baptist Academy (San Marcos, Texas)
St. Catherine's Academy (Anaheim, California; Kindergarten - 8th Grade; all boys)
St. John's College High School (Washington, DC; first JROTC school in the USA; coeducational)
St. John's Military School (Salina, Kansas)
St. John's Northwestern Military Academy (Delafield, Wisconsin)
St. Thomas Academy (Mendota Heights, Minnesota)
Southeastern Military Academy Florida www.SEMA.us.com
TMI — The Episcopal School of Texas[1]
Valley Forge Military Academy and College (Wayne, Pennsylvania)
Wentworth Military Academy (Lexington, Missouri; coeducational)
Wisconsin Air Academy (New Berlin, Wisconsin; 6th-12th Grades, Coeducational)

The ones I am most recently familiar with are:

MMA-Tx
MMA-Mo
WMA-Mo
Valley Forge-Pa
Carson Long-Pa
Fork Union-Va
Massanutten-Va
Hargrave-Va
Howe-In
Culver-In
St. Johns-Ks
NMMI-NM

The school my dad, myself and my younger brother attended is no longer in existence. I competed against many schools on the list when I was a Cadet and we considered and toured many before selecting a school for my Skid.

We sent my Skid to NMMI which in my opinon is the best school for the money of any available. It is consistently in the top 20 boarding schools in the US and is surprisingly affordable.

Some are JCs as well as high schools.

Military school, any of them, is an amazing opportunity for a kid.

IMHO of course.