You are here

The Burning Platform. An effective strategy for launching kids.

Rags's picture

It has been a while since I have posted on the Burning Platform. If I ever have. I usually don't post, I reply to the posts of others.

A friend has asked me to present The Burning Platform Beck and Call Chore Boy/Girl strategy for new STalkers.  So here it is.

Some young adults make little to no effort to grow up or to step out into their own lives.  Of course many parents/SParents participate in the launch process by supporting young adults as they go to university or during a transition phase while they work and make progress in starting their own lives. This is not really for those kids who are making an effort.  

The burning platform is for those kids whose aspirations do not go beyond being a professional sofa rodeo rider holding down the furniture in mom &/or dad's home. My SKid was one of these kids. He really was not a bad kid, apparently he was just completely uninterested in growing up and engaging in his own life.  His mom and I had been on him for two years to get his university applications filled out and submitted.  We offered him the mom and dad full meal deal scholarship to any school he wanted to go to and could get accepted at anywhere that might be.  Nothing. There was absolutely no indication that he cared to make an effort in the direction of launching.

In comes the burning platform.  His mom and I discussed it and reiterated to him that his presence in our home was entirely dependent on his effort. He could stay rent free as long as he was either 1. A full time student in good standing with his school.  2. Working full time.  Or 3. Working part time and going to school part time maintaining good standing with his school.

He chose none of the above.  So... we turned him into our live in beck & call boy/chore bitch and we worked that kids butt off.

Our model was based on "work time".  His mom and I both are hard working professionals. We always profided SS with a nice home, good food, nice things, and much of what he ever wanted, asked for, or showed interest in.   At that point we informed him that his presence in our home was a day to day status based on his completion of a comprehensive chore list each day.  He had to complete it between the time his mom and I left for work and the point when the first of the two of us got home from work.

For the next 4 months that kid scrubbed, cleaned, vacuumed, mopped, dusted, polished, trimmed, weeded, mulched, scraped, primed, painted, washed, dried, folded, sliced, diced, chopped, cut, cooked, served, cleaned, put away... and when it was all done at the end of the day the next day... he did it all again.

He only tested us twice in that time and did not do or complete his daily chore list.  The morning after each of those incidents he spent the day on the front step, or wherever he decided to sit while we were at work all day.  No food, no water, nothing.  The first time he was asleep on our back patio when I got home.  He was so mad.  "Dad, I didn't have any water and it is HOT"  I introduced him to the green thing coiled on the back of the house that magically produced water when you turned the spicket. 

We turned off the cable TV and the internet every AM when we left for work so SS was denied his usual forms of mindless gaming and to minimize distraction from his work time duties. 

After 4 months he asked me for a ride the next day.  When I told him I would be at work and he had his chores to do he informed me that the next day he had a meeting with the USAF recruiter.  He also informed me that the day after that he had a meeting with the USMC recruiter. I asked him what happened to the Army, Navy, and Coast Guard.  He replied that he didn't like boats so the Navy and Coast Guard and that his last two years of high school at Military School removed the Army from his list.  So, I gave him the rides he asked me for.

He enlisted in the USAF on the delayed entry program and four months after that we dropped him off to leave for USAF BMT.  To put the dot of the period in his beck and call boy career we kept him on the work time duties schedule for the 4 months leading up to his leaving for BMT.   

9.5 years later he has a thriving USAF career, he just got his line number for promotion to E6 and is dedicated to making the USAF his first career.  His mom and I are extremely proud of the man that we raised together.  The toasted toes he had from the "burning platform" have long since healed.  

Our son is kicking butt at his life and career.

For kids that are not interested in stepping into adulthood the burning platform and beck and call service provider model is an effective way to get them to step off and fly.  If they won't work for themselves, day after day after day of menial drudgery, faced with nothing but a future of performing chores serving the other residents in the home is a great motivator for them to grow up and get on with life.

When faced with cling-on kids/SKids, light the platform on fire, keep adding fuel and stoking the flames of drudgery and insane boredom and watch them soar. Even for people married to a failed parent who produced failed family progeny in prior relationships, the burning platform is effective.  Not only can the burning platform pressure a kid to launch, it can also motivate a lacking partner to either step up and be the equity life partner they should be or... step off of hte platform and get out along with their leech failed semi adult children.

Either way.... we win! We either get the partner we thought we had when we kicked off the blended family marriage or ... we get a chance to move on to a new life adventure with the drama of SParenting and a untennable marriage to a failed parent fading into our past.

The burning platform can work for teens as well as for cling-on adult aged Skids/Kids. All it takes is zero tolerance for dead beat children and an induced state of abject misery to "burn their feet" and get them moving into a state of adulthood away from our families and marriages. 

And that... is the burning platform model of launching hesitant semi adult or adult children and entering the joyous world of the empty nester.

Good luck.

Survivingstephell's picture

My first born freaked out after graduation and became paralyzed on my couch. Then she invited her bf to join her.  Being my first I had no experience with this.  Very few of my high school friends did this back in the 80's.  I suffered , yes suffered, as I struggled with this failure to launch.  In December of that year I got tough and gave her pretty much the same ultimatum.  Within a week she was enrolled in college and had a part time job I helped her to find.   

Some of these kids NEED some tough love and expectations forced on them.  My other two had their moments but they were warned that if the pulled the same crap my oldest did, they'd be out.  Key was I started making that clear after the drama with my oldest. They are three years apart.  Happily I can say all three of my oldest are launched with degrees and jobs with insurance.  

I don't get why parents think it's better to have grown kids sucking on the wallet taking up space in a home they don't contribute to.  Granted the economy could be better but ambition is key to getting them out.  Missing out on stuff and going without is a great motivator.    

Exjuliemccoy's picture

Rags, I love this story and know it's helped a lot of ST members over the years.

A key component to The Burning Platform is that your wife, the bio parent, collaborated in the creation and implementation of it. As a parent, she wanted her child to succeed and did what it took to help him launch. Your bride is a hell of a woman.

Rags's picture

There is no doubt that my bride's participation was the critical success factor in the application of the Burning Platform with our kid.

And yes, she is a hell of a woman.  The most pure hearted person I have ever known. A great mom, a no BS partner, an incredible professional and has absolutely the most incredible work ethic and framework of ethics of anyone I have ever known.

I am a very blessed and lucky man to have her sharing her life with me.

CLove's picture

But she ghosted us after graduation, so we couldnt impliment anything. Now she drifts between wherever her friends drive her, and Toxic Trolls apartment. 

Im keeping this in the back pocket in case Munchkin goes down the same road.

TheAccidentalSM's picture

To launch my sister, she used to provide zero comforts in the home.  No food, no TV, nothing.

Rags's picture

Oh, we provided plenty of comforts, food, TV, etc... We just rationed it based on kid performance.  Except for the food part.  Except on the days he tested us by not doing the list of chores. Then he got no food from the time we left the home until we returned after work.  Then he ate dinner with us... after he cooked it.

All of this only after he turned 18 and graduated from high school.  Though we did limit electronics heavily the last 5-7 years before he turned 18.

If your sister was anything like my Skid.  I am sure she needed the burning platform.

1st3rd5thWEInHell's picture

Thats great but most steps dealing with kids like these dont get any say in a "parenting plan" while the bio parents just continue to enable.

SS18 has been coddled and enable to do as he pleases by his mother and father. He lived with us and refused to do any chores or clean up after himself. He demanded 24hr access to a tv for gaming, waking up whenever he felt like it and 0 consequences for his problems at school. Eventually, he went back to live with his mother at 16yo because he wanted to drop out of school and work (LOL). Well his mom complained the whole time about the same shit that i complained (but bizzarely i was a weird bitch and a tyrant when I did) while his dad continued on coddling. BM told him on his 18 bday that now that child support is ending she cant afford food for him anymore and kicked him out. He lives with his uncle now and hopes to.move back with daddy but thankfully at this moment there is no room available

He says he is too good for the army or navy but wants to get his ged and go to college lol....i dont believe he will ever have a career in anything besides mooching off his parents for life until he gets some girl pregnant

Most steps have to deal with grown bad stepchildren sitting all day at their home until their partners wake up and decide to act (most likely never happening)

Rags's picture

IMHO the "most" sparents you mention do not get a say because they do not demand a say and they are not equity partners in their blended family marriage.  I would tolerate nothing less than equity status in my marriage and I would demand and tolerate nothing less from my mate.  I am fortunate that my DW agrees. But, if she didn't she wouldn't be my wife.

AngrySO's picture

Today I presented the burning platform to my wife. We have a 23yo mooch DumbAss that lives on the couch for the last four years and hasn't moved since he's moved in. 

it's been a complete rush to have fear running through this house. Tomorrow is Day 1 and I expect a major fuck up. Internet has been disabled, routers taken down and he's lucky I'm not making him wear a tux while he does this. 

Thanks Rags. 

Rags's picture

Good for you and for your bride.  Be ready for the delay and "what do you want me to do" complaints from your wife.  They will come. But.... the Skid is not a minor and his mommy needs to stop enabling his failure to launch.  

Good luck.

Interestingly for both my DW and I, once we dropped SS off at the MEPS center to report to USAF BMT, it was an adjustment for us to pick up all of the housework he had been doing for the previous 8mos.  The law of unintended consequences I suppose.

Survivingstephell's picture

You go!  Stay tough and unyielding in your pursuit to get him out.  Stay tough on your wife too.  Maybe sweeten the deal with a special night or trip when he's out.  It's easy to stay tough on the skid, partners know our weak spots 

Exjuliemccoy's picture

Happy Birthday, Rags! Hope you've had a wonderful day, and that your bride and son spoiled you.

Rags's picture

Thanks Julie,

It was a great day.  But.... they all are great birthdays when I have them with her..... Sappy I know.

Pardon

The SKid called ... just before midnight so he squeeked it in right under the wire.  He is doing great.  He just submitted his re-enlistment papers for 6 more years in the USAF.  That will get him to 16.  He will qualify for full retirement at  38.  His mom and I are very proud of him. Though he has his mom scared to death. He is having his usual annual bout of winter bronchitis which in the COVID 19 world gets all kinds of concerns rolling.  They tested him for COVID and his results will be ready tomorrow.  He is confident that it is just his usual lung grunge.

Mom and dad are driving down on Sat AM to spend through Monday with us to celebrate my 57th.  Great timing.  In the middle of the 2021 South Texas IceMageddon.

Thanks again.  I am hoping 57 turns out better career wise than 56 was.  I am getting tired and bored with being arm candy.

Wink

Wink