You are here

Borrowing my stuff

Childless stepmom's picture

So here's another one. .. DH has spoken to skids that they not to use my hair dryer, towel, clothes. DH does not like them borrowing stuff generally. I'm particular about my towel for hygienic reasons. Anyway, first weekend with us, I've bought each skid their own, towel, hair dryer, toiletries , put ini in nice baskets in their room. They still freaken use my towel!!!! Anyway! I get a text from SD15 ( has own phone) from BM's Phone to ask if she can borrow my GHD hair straightener this weekend? ( BM's weekend). She knows she is not meant to ask me, but DH is out the country this week... How do I handle this? Have not responded yet as text was from BM phone, and SD15 can text me directly for free.

just.his.wife's picture

Reply:

Ah BM, we really haven't hit the buddy buddy girlfriend stage of borrowing stuff yet. Lets keep it that way hmm?

Ok that was snarky real reply:

"Sorry I will be using it myself. Your mom can get you one at (insert store name here)"

Childless stepmom's picture

Wink yeah message was like " hi, sd here, can I please blah blah...." I have blocked BM from texting and calls now.. No reason for us to have conversation, been there, done that, she can't open her mouth without mud slinging, so really not worth it. Besides that SD 15 should know better than to ask... Is she just trying her luck because DH is out of town?

CantKeepDoingThis's picture

In short....oh hell no!!! I would NEVER let HHB borrow my stuff...and to be taken over to BM's? Oh yeah...that would NEVER EVER IN A BILLION YEARS happen! BM can go to Wal-Mart and grab a cheap one for her house!

My experience has always been that anything HHB gets her hands on is never returned, or is returned broken! And if it makes it to BM's house? Yeah, you can count that as something to never be seen again! Now, I've never allowed HHB to borrow my personal things, but this has happened to things DH has let her "use".

CantKeepDoingThis's picture

I had to laugh one time. DH asked if I had a black shirt that HHB could borrow for something so that he wouldn't have to go to the store to get one. I just looked at him funny. He asked what the problem was. "First of all, you know I will NEVER let HHB borrow anything of mine, because I would never see it again. Second, you obviously don't pay any attention! I'm a size small and she is a size large!"

Sootica's picture

Don't respond.If she asks you about it when she sees you just say " Oh that was you? I don't respond to messages from numbers I don't recognise" then change the subject.If those straighteners leave your house I guarantee you, you will never see them again.

Shaman29's picture

I too would ignore the text from BM's phone(why oh why does she have your number???). If your SD texts you directly a simple "no you can't" will suffice. You don't owe this kid an explanation.

It is ridiculous to me these days the way a lot of adults (my H included) feel the need to justify their decisions to their children. I would get the stink eye from H's kid whenever he'd tell the kid no (rarely) or give her instructions to do something and she would questions his decision and start to explain. I would always stop him and say "Excuse me H, you are the adult, she is the kid. You don't have to explain yourself to her. Ever."

Glare. Glare. Glare. }:)

BarkAtTheMoon's picture

Sally, I like #4 or #7 myself.

My DH is bald and shaves his head lol!

~ Moon