You are here

For anyone who may be wondering...

CantKeepDoingThis's picture

Turns out that the color guard captain tryouts didn't happen as planned...why there hasn't been any further talk about it until yesterday. The band director has decided with all the drama (more than likely all the tattling going on between the girls trying to be the band director's favorite, SD15 definitely one of them), he is going to bring in some unbiased people to pick the color guard OFFICERS...yes, plural! I'm not sure how many officer positions there will be, but they will be judged based on actual skill, and their answers to some interview questions. This makes it even more unlikely that that SD15 will get the captain position, as I've seen her compared to the the other girls...at least a couple of them have skills far better than she does. Was watching SD15 practice outside yesterday, and she couldn't keep her flag or or her rifle off the ground!

There is hope that these poor girls aren't going to have to be bossed around by SD15!! Even if she makes one of the officers, she will still have to work with the other officers...decisions will not just be hers. I'm sure she will still do her best to back-stab any officer's above her, hence more drama...but she will make herself very obvious.

Exactly my thoughts, as well. The captain/section lead should always be a senior, in my opinion. It has to do with maturity, as well as it makes it something to work up to...if you want captain, you will stick out all 4 years and work hard. Just like the drum major, it is ALWAYS a senior. Now, the guard this year didn't have any seniors, in that case, it should have been a junior...but it was a sophomore, which is what SD15 would be next year, though they will have seniors and juniors next year.

I think the reason that skill is considered, is that the band director looks upon the captain/officers to actually come up with the routine...which personally, I think he is just being lazy. I never heard of that before! I was in band in high school, and so was DH. Mine was a smaller band, and his was a large band that did things like the Rose Bowl parade and stuff. In DH's band, there was a color guard director (an actual teacher-type position) that worked with the band director to make sure the color guard's routine fit in with the choreography of the the band director's for the the band. In my band, the band director dictated what he wanted the guard to do. The little sophomore captain came up with the routine this year, and it was BAD...they basically hardly did anything but march around with their flags straight up.

txcuti133's picture

When I was in Colorguard, we all had to try out for the position every year. An unbiased group of judges decided whether or not we would make the line. When it came to the positions, only a junior or a senior could be the captain whereas a sophomore could be the representative. We also did have an instructor who would make up the routine and worked hand in hand with the band director to make sure that everything ran smootly. Plus, Winterguard was optional, and we did not have to do it if we did not want to. I surely hope she does not get the captain position because she is very immature and does not take it seriously unlike someone who is more dedicated.

Oh, I'm certain that will be the case when SD15 doesn't get it!! Both SD15 and DH are already saying the process is BS! It is the only honest and fair way to do it, especially since there has been so much drama this year! If the band director and assistant directors make the decision as they did in the past, they will have to deal with parents screaming that they are playing favorites (which ALWAYS happens no matter who they select). By adopting a process of bringing in outside judges, they have some ground to stand on...the judges did not know the girls, and they will have score sheets to show why those who were made officers got those positions!

Orange County Ca's picture

I knew life wasn't fair when Mom gave my brother a bigger scoop of ice cream. She always liked him more. Beee

LOL...Well, seems SD15 smacked herself in the face with her flag AGAIN! How can she expect she is captain material if she keeps smacking herself in the face with the flag?

Her boyfriend's dad apparently has one of those machines that you can use to make custom decals, and he made a color guard one for SD15 with her name. DH is trying to get me to put it on my car...told him to put it on his! Anyway, he knows how I feel about putting kids' names on the back of one's cars (one of my peeves...safety thing...my kids' names have never been put on my car...I had my son's number, but JUST his number...if I was driving around in the city, no one knew if it was one of my kids' sports numbers or what sport, or if there was some NASCAR with that number that I liked or something...and even now, his number is gone, and I just have a sticker from his college in it's place). I refuse to drive around with her name on my car...I'm not her taxi, anyway!

jumanji's picture

That really is the only reasonable way to do it. And honestly? When it's the advisor/coach choosing? It usually is the kid s/he likes best.