You are here

Any Advice Please: At my LIMIT with Step Daughter

HelpAndBeHelped's picture

This is my first time posting, and I don't even know if I am in the right forum, but I have got to vent before I EXPLODE! I don't know where to begin and I'm sure once this all starts coming out, it will just begin to flow and I won't be able to stop it! I hope that I can get my story across, so that if there is anyone out there going through a similar situation, you can offer me some advice, or even just assure me that I am not the only one, nor am I CRAZY...bc that is how I am starting to feel. So let's get to it. I have a 12 going on 13 Stepdaugher. My husband and I have only been married for 2 years and were together for quite some time before that. We were very careful with bringing our lives together and even bringing his daughter into our life together, bc in my opinion, and as a step daughter myself, I knew this was a fragile time for her. We dated for a year before even easing into her and I meeting. We were very careful not to force a relationship between her and I, when he had her it was there time, I NEVER stayed the night there when he had her. All that just for a little background and pre-story. I was not rushed into her life, we took it slow, and we all eased into things. Because of my husbands unconditional love for his daughter, and my unconditional love for him, I immediately took to her and loved her as if she was my own. We tried to do everything right and when the time came and we made the decision to move forward with our relationship we had all of the open talks with her, explaining that I was not taking her mothers place, and never could or would. Her father had talks with her alone, I had talks with her alone, and we all had talks together as a family. I explained to her that I had been in her very position and situation and if she ever wanted to come to me with any questions or concerns that I would be there. We had a great relationship, and I would like to think that we still do, I care for her deeply but her behavior has changed so fast and I dont know where things went south but I am at my wits end with her behavior and where I fit in. I feel like I CAN'T parent her. I am her "friend" and dad is in control when she is at our house. The child is out of control and I Am at my wits end. It is causing problems in my marriage and I don't know what to do. I have tried talking to husband but he ALWAYS finds an excuse for her or defends her bc "she went through a lot with the divorce"... Let me just give you some examples of the behavior I am speaking of... She only comes to our house when she is pissed at her Mom or Grandmother for not getting her way... when she is supposed to be at her mom's house.. she dumps her at her grandmothers and she stays there full time, while her mom "stays with a friend." She has no rules there so there for when she comes to our house she has no rules. Her mother made the decision after the divorce to homeschool the child against my husbands consent... he did not know until after it was already said and done. When he found out he confronted his ex and asked who would be monitoring her online homeschooling and who was going to see that she did it and her response was that "she has no other choice, she has to" ... well that was BS. When she was at our house my husband would "go to war" to get her out of bed, I would take off work, and I would stay home and over see her schooling. She was so far behind from not doing it when she wasnt with us that no matter what we did we could not catch her up. Eventually she quit coming to see us at all bc she hated that we tried to enforce rules. This child, at her age, did noting at all for herself. It was like nothing I had ever seen. When the next school year rolled around my husband went to enroll her back in school, after his ex agreed, and to his surprise, the ex had already enrolled her in a different online homeschooling program. His ex quit answering the phone, his daughter quit contacting him, and he could get a hold of no one. He would drive to the house and they would never be home. He would get a text every once in a while from his daughter asking for money or when she wanted or needed something. I watched as my husband mourned for his daughter. It was like someone had passed away. We tracked her online schooling to find out she did the program for all of 3 weeks before completely quitting. NO ONE, Not her Mother, Not her Grandmother, was making this child do her school. If she didnt want to, then she just didnt do it. Months later, here we are today.. she calls every so often and wants to come and stay. Of course my husband will not tell her no. He wants to see his daughter. She will show up unannounced, and stay for as long as she likes. I dont know if it is out of the fear that he knows he will call her mother to come get her, or that she will leave and he wont see her again for gosh knows how long, but he WILL NOT PARENT her while she is here. She will stay for weeks on end and do absolutely nothing, and if I approach the subject, I AM THE BAD GUY... She stays up all night on the internet... I am talking 5pm to 7am talking to her boyfriend, who her mom and grandparents let STAY THE NIGHT WITH HER WHEN SHE IS WITH THEM. She sleeps all day, does not go to school, does nothing for herself, talks to me like I am trash and whines to her father when I am not at her every beck and call. She has no chores, no rules, and does nothing for herself. I have found empty packs of cigarettes in her room, and my husband will not say anything to her. Its like he doesnt care as long as she is here. It's like he will not parent her out of guilt. It drives me insane. She talks to him like he is trash, she throws tantrums like a 3 yr old if she doesnt get exactly what she wants when she wants it. I literally find myself hiding in my bedroom all evening bc I can't take it anymore. She has complete run of what I thought was MY house when she is here. She will wake him up at midnight if she decides she wants icecream and he will get out of bed and take her, even though we live 25 mins from town. If we are in the living room in the evenings watching a movie, she will come out of her room, decide she doesnt want to watch it, and turn the tv off or change it, and walk away... and he will say nothing. We have tried to think of a ton of different activities for us to do as a family or even for just the two of them to do together, and she wants nothing to do with that. She blares her music all hours of the night, walks around the house on her cell at 3am, is in and out of the kitchen (right by our bedroom) all hours of the night. I havent slept in over a week. I am losing it. I cook dinner every single night and if it is something she doesnt want or feel like having... she will play him and whine and he will take her to town and get her fast food, while myself and his plate waits at the dinner table. IF she does decide that she will eat what we are having, I am expected to fix her plate, cut her meat, and do everything but physically feed her. If I dont, then she will whine to him until he does. Anytime him and I do get a few seconds of alone time, in our bedroom at night, after laying down for bed, she will come in and plop down between us, bc she is "bored" and wants to "hang out", until literally I am on the couch. It is not as if I take time away from the 2 of them... I purposely give them father/daughter time and exclude myself at some points bc I know how important it is for the 2 of them to have a relationship. We tried family time but it literally got to the point where I can hardly stand to be around her. I dont want to feel this way. But there needs to be some serious PARENTING going on.. and it WILL NOT happen. I keep the house clean and after fighting the laundry battle have agreed that I will wash, fold, and put away her clothes.. all that I asked she do is pick them up out of the filth in her room (which he wont make her clean) and put them in a laundry basket. She refuses to do this one simple task and when she has nothing to wear she will cry to her father that I wont wash her clothes and all she has to wear is dirty clothes, until the point that I again, am the bad guy. She steals from me, she steals from him, she steals things from our home...and he does nothing. She has been caught stealing from others as well, and he always defends her even when she is in the wrong. I can't tell you the number of lies I have caught her in and her dad has caught her in...and he does nothing. She manipulates and plays him like a fiddle. She once snuck out of the house in the middle of the night...he caught her...and there was no punishment. I CAN NOT TAKE it anymore. It is killing my marriage every single time she comes. My husband and I have talked about it and discussed it, and everytime she leaves we will talk about it, agree to be on the same page, parent, and back one another, and stay as a united front.. our lives will go back to normal.. and then bam, she shows up unexpected and that all goes out to the waste. Its like he is so scared she will leave again that everything him and I discuss is out the window. I have no problem with being on the backburner while she is here so they can have their time, but I can not handle this. Once, I simply asked if she would pick her dish up out of the living room and put it in the dishwasher and she threw it across the room into the sink, and told me to wash it myself... i told her she may talk to other adults that way but that she would not disrespect me that way...my husbands words "she is just not used to rules bc she doesn't have them when she is not here". She brings friends over whenever she feels like it without asking, wants to be taken here and there, and threatens to just have her mom come get her and take her if my husband doesnt, so of course he always does. I don't even know if I can get my point across with this post at how terrible it has become for me. And as long as she is here my husband is happy and does not care... he just makes up excuses for her. I am just lost at this point... I love her, and I want better and more for her, and that is not going to happen without parenting. And when she does have her few nice moments, I love spending time with her and want her around... but I can only take so much before I am at my wits end again. Please help!!!!!!!!!!

ENuff's picture

What an effin nightmare !!!

You hubby's needs a back bone ~ justifying her bad behavior isn't helping at all. She needs to he accountable for her poor decisions n bad behavior. Sorry !!! No likie ~ bye bye.

I still can't get past her NOT being in school ~ utterly ridiculous.

Well my kids fathers passed away ~ their lives are completely different than it was when he was alive. Should I just sit back and say ~ oh please excuse their bad behavior their father died. Bullshit !!!

Put you big boy pants on n engage n actually show up in his daughters life n care. All he is now is a taxi n an ATM. Stop being her friend n show up as her parent. So sick of hearing ~ I feel bad for them. I feel horrible for my children losing their father at the ages of 14, 12, 9 n 4. Sure my kids are hurt n angry but they will be respectful. They will go to school. They will get good grade n behavior. Or they will find my foot up their ass.

If you don't take controll now ~ what's her future?? Working a shitty job with no health insurance or dental care. Maybe pregnant n homeless. Or maybe being a stripper or a pole dancer.

Open your eyes there Daddio ~ it's time to care. It's time to wipe the tears from your eyes n give her a swift kick in the ass. Nobody ever said parenting was easy ~ they love us n someone's they hate us. All part of parenting.

Sorry I am just now figuring this site out and I replied as a "comment" first. Thank you!!!! These are all things I have told him over and over. Don't you want more for her? I was the product of divorce and my mother and father both made it their mission to make sure I had better than what they had. Isn't that what parents do? Live their life doing the best they can for their children and wanting to give them a future. And he has a backbone with EVERYTHING else. EVERYTHING and EVERYONE...but when it comes to her...its whatever whenever. And he knows he is just a taxi and atm... and he says he will take what he can get. NO NO NO!!!! That is not ok. I don't know how much longer I can sit back and watch this.... It's unfolding before my eyes... and I feel like I can do nothing to stop it. It's like he knows all this, and wants all those great things for her....he says what he should do, and that he doesn't agree with her behavior, and that it isnt ok... well then he needs to be doing something about it!!! does he think they are just magically going to happen?!?!?!? Tell me about not being able to wrap your head around the school thing...they are setting her up for failure.. and even though she is not here most of the time.. he is just as fault and he needs to do something before it is too late!!! I just dont get it. I know I will not be able to sit around and watch much longer...and now its at the point where he just tries to avoid the subject with me and anytime I try to bring it up it starts a fight. I know what I would do if she was MY child!!!!! And to some extent I almost feel misled, bc this was not the way things were, or the way they were said to be at the start of our relationship. We always talked about and agreed about family, and how children should be raised... and this my friend, was NOT part of the plan!!! Thanks for your reply! I am sorry to hear of your husband, but by standing strong for your children, and raising them in the right way, I know any husband/father would be proud!

Even now, she has a friend over...who we didn't know was coming.. and I am up listening to them have the "run of the house"...while Husband is snoring...

Just an add on to my original post since I am laying in bed listening to stepdaughter run through the house at 2am. When I say I "can't" parent her or have the "friend role".... This is by no choice of my own. Anytime I even attempt to correct her in anyway or say anything to her I am then the bad guy and know my husband will immediately be saying something to me. Either that I "just need to relax" or am "making something out of nothing" or "don't rock the boat". It is usually that I am "overreacting". Believe me when I say if I had my choice things would be a lot different. When I do say something to her about her attitude or whatever the situation at the time may be she runs to dad and manipulates and twists and lies, whines and pouts, bc she knows how to work him and knows he will say something to me. It is very frustrating that as a step parent I am expected to "love the child as my own" "care for the child as my own" but yet when it comes to discipline, it is all on her dad and I am just not supposed to say anything? Just grin and bear it? Hide in my room? It is to the point where I feel I'm nothing more than a maid at this point. When she is here it seems as if the husband avoids all communication with me bc he knows I will want to address the subject. At what point can I say enough is enough without him feeling as if he is choosing between me and her? I do not want him to feel that way... But eventually he will have to chose between me and her BEHAVIOR. It saddens my heart bc I do care for the child and I feel like my hands are tied and I can't help her. It pisses me off at my husband as much as her that he won't step up and quit worrying about if he hurts her feelings or if she throws a fit and goes back to her moms, and just do what is right for the child. She needs discipline and stability. The disrespect that comes from her is something I can't bear much longer. I'm living in a nightmare and this is not what I signed up for. This is more than "teenage years" ... This is heading to a dark bad road... And I'm not sure it is one I am willing to travel.

emotionaly beat up's picture

This is YOUR home too. You do have a say. Your husband is afraid if he says anything to his daughter then she won't speak to him. Most likely you are afraid if you say anything to your husband it will cause a fight, or he will leave you for hs daughter.

One of you needs to get over your fear. It won't be him.

He is allowing his daughter to get away with this. You are allowing your husband to get away with this. As a consequence, they are both happy and you are the only unhappy one. You will never change her, you will never change him. That leaves you. Can you find the strength, the courage and the self respect to TELL your husband if he doesn't sort his daughter out you will. If she doesn't ask permission to invite friends over, you can tell that friend, sorry, this isn't a good time for me, you will have to come another day. Peope need to realise that their actions have consequences. Your SD needs to know if she doesn't ask permission to bring friends home, the consequence will be they will not be allowed in, and she is going to feel might embarrassed. Your husband needs to know if he continues to disrespect and disregard your feelings on this, you will deal directly with his daughter and he will suffer the fallout from that. So either he discipline his daughter himself and teach her some manners, or you do it. But either way, I'm your home you expect manners and boundaries. The consequence of you not standing up to your husband is the life you have now.

The only person not at fault here is SD. She has two adults in your house letting her get away with this. Hardly being raised the right way is she.

SD Is not the problem, her father is. You are part of the problem because you know your husband doesn't want you to say anything, you know if you do it will cause a fight. Your husband has got you bluffed. He is a bully. You are now too afraid to speak up in your own home. News Flash.........like all bullies, when you stand up to them, they back down. What's the very worst that could happen here. You tell his daughter the way it's gong to be in your house and your DH leaves you and takes his daughter. That's it. That's the worst. That would actually take all the stress and anxiety out of your life.

However, I suspect that won't happen if you stand up to him and stop letting him allow his daughter to treat you and your home with such disrespect, he will do what all bully's do. He will back down. Anyone who bullies another person is a coward. Your husband is also very selfish, he is looking out for himself here and not you. That means that he will always go wherever his bread is buttered. If he is faced with losing his wife and his creature comforts, there's is a very good chance he is choosing to pull his daughter into line and choose you. If she doesn't like it, there's a good chance she will dump dad.

But whatever the outcome, it is not yours to worry about. That relationship is between him and his daughter. You only have to work on the relationship between you and your husband. It's no good the way it is, so stand up and change it, if he refuses, then leave. When it gets to the point where you are now, you have nothing to lose by standing up for yourself and calling the shots in your own home.

Dad may change if the stakes are high enough. Men who treat their daughters like this are weak and selfish. When push comes to shove, they will choose themselves over their daughters.

comfortablynumb's picture

I think it's time to lay it on the line for your husband. Tell him to take charge like a man and discipline his daughter or you are out of there and mean it. You've got to be willing to give it all up if you really want a change.

Oh, and just a small tip - when kids are up all night, they like to sleep in. I find these mornings after to be ideal for vacuuming.

THANK YOU ALL for your support, advice, and comments. I have read them all and am taking it all in. I intend on replying to each one individually as soon as possible (Likely, in the middle of the night since sleep is something I haven't been getting these past few weeks!) I will try to add any more info and answer any of the questions in the comments. I must admit, I was skeptical about posting my story/venting on here, but I have found it very refreshing, encouraging, hopeful, and even freeing that there are people out there who have been through similar situations and take their own time to listen to me and offer their help! It is quite a wake up call that I am not being heard in my own house, but complete strangers are hearing what I have to say!!! I can't thank you all enough for your comments!!!! Please keep them coming, even when I don't have the time at the moment to reply, I am checking back frequently on my phone for any new comments! I hope that eventually I can be as much help to someone else, as I am finding you all to be to me! Can't thank you all enough! Wish me luck, as each night is a battle!!!! Sending my love, hope, and thoughts to each of you and your own situations!

Thank you.

I wish you the courage you need to
Stand up
And change this. Good luck.