You are here

Another thread about keys and locked doors

CantKeepDoingThis's picture

We've had this discussion a few times. SD15 is really big with leaving the house and leaving the door unlocked. She did this every morning that DH took her to school if she walked out after DH because she was running late (which is most mornings).

Well, I got stuck with the taxi duty this morning (from other thread, supposedly ride bailed on her, and I had to consider my options of NOT taking her to the practice and having to put up with her all day at the house with anger targeted at me, or just taking her to practice...the later was the lesser of the evils). As she was leaving the house, I watched her just walk out and leave the door unlocked...AGAIN! BS19 was still home, but was asleep. I quickly opened the car window and told her to go back and lock the door. Got the usual attitude and eye-rolls...like she didn't get the big deal with locking the door. When she got in the car after locking the door, I made it a point to tell her she needs to always lock the door...that leaving it unlocked while others were asleep leaves the house and the people sleeping unprotected. And my exact words, "I respect you enough to lock the door when I leave the house and you are still asleep, I expect you to respect me and others in the house enough to do the same!" Yeah, you could tell by her expression she didn't like that!

I like the idea of one poster a while back...while the kids were done, take all the things they value out of their room and hide it away. Let them return to find their stuff gone, and see how it makes them feel! I'm seriously considering doing that to SD15 the next time she walks out of this house and leaves a door unlocked!

Jelly2's picture

My dh is as bad as the skid about that. I have been tempted to "steal" a bunch of stuff just to show him it can happen.

Orange County Ca's picture

Of all the suggestions the missing panties is the best. Then the discussion of how it may not be just panties next time but how a burglar can kill if discovered and surprised. And the coup de gras how upon seeing he's surprised by a 15yo girl might just decide rape first then death is the route to go.

Or just print out this article and give it go her after reminding her she is often the first one home in the afternoon:

http://newsok.com/moore-girl-raped-by-burglar/article/2095131

The town of Moore is in Oklahoma.

I know Moore very well, and when at the time of the article date, Moore wasn't much bigger than the town we are in now! It was still small enough that it was very separate from Norman and OKC (these days, if it wasn't or the signs, you can't tell when you are driving out of one into the other).

Sad thing is, DH has explained all of this to her before...that even though we are out in the sticks, it is still a neighborhood here...a neighborhood of 1.x-acre lots, but a neighborhood none the less. It started out a very nice area for manufactured homes...the ones that actually cost something. Our homes used to have to meet certain requirements for siding, how they were skirted, roof overhang, etc. They wanted manufactured homes that were as close to houses as possible. However, the original owner of the unsold property went belly up (not enough people were buying out this way), and the management company that bought up the property started selling to any kind of home...just to get the lots sold and make up the money. There is very literally a lot out here that someone made a crappy attempt to build a tree-house as a home, and now the lot is just covered with junk and deserted. We also now have used single-wide metal trailers on some lots, etc. Some folks went belly up, and their homes got picked up by landlords that just rent the places out. Now, it hasn't gone "ghetto" quite yet, but surely not the caliper it used to be. There have been some shady elements living out here! As I've mentioned a couple of times...there was this kid in BD23's class in school who was burglarizing houses out here. He didn't hit up our house, but he did approach BD23 when she worked at GameStop to get rid of some stuff for him, claiming it was his. I thought is fishy, and BD23 and I went to his house when he wasn't there and talked to his mom, who confirmed that the stuff was stolen. She went into his room and found all kinds of other stolen stuff, and called the cops on him that evening and had him arrested. He got out a couple of years ago...and last year, stabbed his step-dad to death over a cat...he found a stray that was ill and wanted to take it to the vet, his parents didn't have the money for it and when his step-dad refused to give him the money, he stabbed him to death right there in front of his mom and his younger brother!

Then, there was the guy right across the street from us who was living with his grandparents. He used to ride around the neighborhood on his lawnmower drunk (yeah, every time I saw him, I thought Waterboy). He was a bit of a joke, until he started showing up on my porch after DH would leave for work...trying to claim he could cut our yard for us, but you could tell he was trying to see in our house and see who else was here with me (as he had seen BS19 around, and knew he wasn't a small boy). Dude freaked me out, and I had to report him to the cops a couple of times...so did another neighbor of mine who is an older woman who lives with just her sister and dogs. He later started to break into houses that people had moved out of or who's owners were gone for a long time (he broke into our neighbor's house when he was away doing some drill or something for the military for a couple of weeks). He was finally arrested, but I've recently seen him back at his grandparents.

Yeah, just because we are out in the country, doesn't mean it is safe from criminals or sick people. SD15 doesn't seem to care! I don't know if she just has such a lack of care for anyone or anything, or she is just too lazy to care. Like I said, DH has brought up the issue before, and tried to explain to her what could happen if she walked in on a burglar or something, but she still will not lock that door! That's also why it freaked me out so bad when I found the back door unlocked, and why I'm determined to put an end to her using that door to sneak out!

TobinNZ's picture

In NZ, if you go out and leave the house unlocked then your insurance won't pay out if you get burgled. Is that the case there?
Same with cars - if you don't lock it and it gets stolen or broken into then insurance won't pay. Unsure how they can tell, usually they have to find the car with no forced locks.

If you have a burger alarm on your house or car you get insurance premium discounts. And if you haven't turned the alarms on... No insurance payout.

Check the fine print on your insurance. Most NZ insurance companies are owned by American ones so it could be the same there.

Imagine if she left it unlocked and someone robbed you and insirance said "nuh uh"!!!

OMG! DH simply amazes me sometimes!

We were discussing this door thing. I'm all for having faith and believing in God, and Christ and all, but sometimes I think DH rests on his faith way too much. He actually told me that he didn't think leaving the door unlocked was that big of a deal, because we have God, and God won't let anything happen to us! Um, hello? If that is the case, why do bad things happen to good people all the time? Oh, because we live in a fallen world, and not everyone listens to God! UGH! Really?

Told him what was I supposed to do if I walked in on a burglar, and he said to turn around and walk out. I was like, "Oh, so the front door is unlocked, so I have no way of knowing if there is anyone in the house. Dude is in our bathroom bagging my jewelry. By the time I walk into the bedroom and close the door behind me (as I usually do), and realize there is a strange person in our bathroom, I'M SCREWED!" That is when he said the thing about not being too worried because I'm protected! I swear...sometimes he doesn't use his full brain! Man is highly intelligent, but doesn't always think with common sense!

TobinNZ's picture

Well, God can and can't be everywhere at once. He only helps those who helps themselves. He gave us medicine, doctors, LOCKS, LOCKSMITHS, KEYS etc to look after ourselves. If we're going to be complete idiots and just beg for trouble then who is to blame? God for not protecting us, or us for not using God's gift of a blimmen lock Wink
I'm sure God is just going to throw his hands up and be like "WTF? Lock the door man!".

Thank you!!!! I say that all the time, and DH doesn't like that answer! Now, I've seen actual miracles, so I do have faith, but I also know thT we are expected to take certain responsibility for ourselves! I'm thinking next time he is putting his laptop bag in the back of the car and covering it up so no one sees it and wants to steal it, I'll say, "why don't you just leave it out and leave the car unlocked? I mean, nothing bad is supposed to happen to us, right?"

Okay....time to start getting real about this issue!

This morning I made it a point to leave the house so I wouldn't be around to give SD15 a ride if she suddenly needed one again (to make a point). SD15 did not see me leave, I did not talk to her about me leaving, so she had no idea where I was going, how long I would be gone, etc. I know she heard me go out the door, and the front door is right next to the driveway, so I know she saw my car gone. What I actually did was just go get some breakfast.

I get home, key in hand ready to unlock the door, and I thought...let me just check. Sure enough, the door was unlocked and SD15 was gone!! I purposely locked the door when I left (again...to make a point). BS19 is in his room out cold asleep after working the closing shift yet again. If someone were to have come in the house, he would have never known unless they actually went into his room!

SD15 had no way of knowing when I would be home! I could have been gone all day for all she knew! Yeah, BS19 was home...but he is asleep...and will probably be asleep for a couple of hours still! Again, she has no respect for anyone in this house or our stuff! She is so centered around herself that she cannot take the 30 seconds or less to lock the frackin' door and/or she is just that lazy!!! I wish she didn't take her iPod with her all the time (even with the broken screen), because I would so jack it right now! That thing is her life! I so want to jack it to show her...yeah, you think that is your life? Well what about my home that I work my a$$ off to build...my memories (yes, I have all kinds of autographed stuff through the years and what I call "little treasures"), my son who I brought into this world (yeah...how would she feel if he walked out of his room at just the wrong time and an intruder was in the house and shot him), things that are important to me? Oh, yeah, she doesn't care about anyone or anything but herself!

Sorry for the rant...I'm just that ticked right now!

You know the girl Ally Sheedy played on The Breakfast Club? SD15 is like her in a way. Remember she dumped this purse/bag she had, and everything but the bath tub and kitchen sink was on the couch? SD15 has a similar kind of bag she takes everywhere. She keeps her straightener, makeup she cares about (anything that is lying around her room is stuff she really doesn't care about...it is the backup makeup, because she got something better), her iPod, her tablet (apparently it still works sometimes), extra clothing...I swear the girl is ready to jump ship at any time...and I often wish she would...lol. So I don't know if there is anything in that room I could make disappear that she would notice. She would probably think she just misplaced it, and go on...like she always does when she really does misplace stuff. Oh, it's lost under the pile...she will just ask for a new whatever rather than actually cleaning up to look for the one she already has.

For a brief moment I thought, "Hmmm, should go trash her room like an intruder would trash the house." But then I remembered, her room always looks like that, so she wouldn't even notice.

Told DH I found the door unlocked again this morning. He said he had already talked to SD15 about it once, and called her out of her room. He asked her about the door, and she said, "I thought I did." Cough**bull! I had to speak up, because SD15 was just standing there like "whatever"! I told her, "What do you think would happen to YOU if YOU walked in on an intruder?" She stood there messing with her phone, and just said with an attitude, "I don't know." I was not happy with her crappy attitude about the situation. I have to admit I raised my voice a bit when I told her, "Well, I can see you don't care, but let me tell you what would happen to you! You will get beat, raped, killed, or all of the above! I personally don't feel like having that happen to me, so you will start locking that door!" I had to walk away at that point I was so pissed!

It's obvious she is a brat who doesn't care about anyone!!!

Rags's picture

Time to take her keys and make her leave the house when either you or DH leave (the last one to leave) in the AM. She can sit on the porch until the first of you get home.

We had to do this with my Skid when he was in his late teens occassionally to make a point. Houston in the summer or even the winter is not a particularly comfortable climate to be outside all day with only a hose for water. It does make a point.