You are here

16 going on 6

Trickybk's picture

Hey guys! New here, but love that this place exists. It has truly been helpful in knowing I’m not alone. My boyfriend has a son who is 16, but acts more like he’s 6. It drives me nuts. He can’t/won’t do a thing for himself. Just this morning, my bf slept a little later than usual and of course, his son didn’t wake up on time for school. This has happened several times and bf gets mad at himself for not being up to wake up the almost 17 year old. I ask each time if his son sets his alarm... Luckily he doesn’t stay over much during the week.

Is this normal?? Just teenage behavior or what? Taking into consideration his dad makes his food and basically serves him and cleans up after him too. It’s all cringeworthy! 

Harry's picture

Not normal for most familys.  At 17 he should be able to get himself to school on time.  What going to happen if this kid goes to college ?  DH going to call him each morning to get him up.  If kid gets a job.  .

Rags's picture

Lol.

At that age, and much earlier, my Skid was getting him self up and to the bus just fine.  We lived about 5miles from his Middle School and his HS and he knew that if he mised his bus he had to run to school and he better not be late.

He mised his bus one time.  He went flying out of the house, and missed the bus by about a block. It was driving away as he got to the bus stop.  So he took off tearing through the woods into the next neighborhood over and caught his bus there.

He only had to make it happen for three years in 8th, 9th and 10th grade.  His Jr. and Sr. year he was in military school... until his last semester of HS. We brought him home due to SpermIdiot interferance drama and he had to walk to school for the last half of his Sr. year. We had moved after he started at Military School.  Lucky for him, our house was only a few hundred yards from the HS.

Trickybk's picture

We do live together. Kid wants to go into the military. He should last a week, tops. 

Swim_Mom's picture

He will learn how to follow a schedule, at a minimum.

This is not normal. My kids could all set an alarm at 5am for a swim meet or practice starting at age 10. I did not have to wake them for school, because of my own morning workouts, starting when they were much younger. No way was I going to spend my morning getting kids ready rather than working out before work - they were perfectly capable and just needed to know time of departure.

Kids are very trainable, your SS just has not been trained.