You are here

Unsure about being a stepdad

Steparchitect's picture

Been with an amazing woman for 8 months. Soul mates material. Both our marriages ended, mine was a 12 year relationship and only 2 months between them. 

Never had a bad time with this person, but also trying to work out timelines and needs moving forward.

she is 33 and I’m 35. She has 2 lovely girls who I adore (2.5) and we are discussing moving in together over the next year or 2 and having our own child in 3 years. 

I enjoy how things are going now but am really nervous about weather I’ll be fully ready by the time the time comes. I don’t want drag her along this whole time and realise When it’s time I’m not ready to live in a shared home with 3 people and many responsibility’s. I would love a family and feel I’ll be ready at some stage but am unsure about the shorter time frame. 

She is the closest thing to perfection I’ve ever come across, but also Feel as though she deserves a certain level of confidence moving forward which I am not providing as much as I want to. 

I feel like either decision I make could be a massive mistake. I feel stuck and anxious. 

I really love having freedom and doing lots of things but also know I want a family at some point.

I find this stressful as she is so amazing bul I am struggling to have the confidence I need to know what is right.

Please help out. 

Areyou's picture

Listen to your gut instinct. If you’re not ready to be a father then don’t do it. Be honest and open with her and let her decide what she wants to do when she learns that you want a longer timeline.

momjeans's picture

we are discussing moving in together over the next year or 2 and having our own child in 3 years. 

Stick to this 1-2 year plan. Because time will, hopefully, tell. If she’s the “closest thing to perfection” you’ve ever experienced, then these next couple of years should be smooth sailing, because she’ll be content with this plan and not want to rush into cohabitation, right? Which, let’s face it, a lot of single parents are anxious for a live-in parental figure. She has a lot to gain, and you equally flirt with losing time, space to yourself, etc.

justmakingthebest's picture

Are you regularly spending time doing "family" things? If not, you probably should. If you are- GREAT! Waiting a year or 2 to move in sounds like a solid plan, stick to it! If in a year, you are still not sure, then you need to end it. For now, fake it until you make it. It is not natural to come in and be "Just add water- insta-dad!" -- give it some time and go through the motions. You might find out that you love this life, you might find out it isn't for you. Either way, if you don't try you won't know.  

Steparchitect's picture

Thanks for the helpful advice. I wasn’t sure if having make her wait around for a confident answer is the right thing to do or not. Her kids are getting attached to me and we all seem to have an amazing time together. 

I do worry that I didn’t spend much time on my own as an adult and that I’ll be lacking in some traits I needed to gain as an individual. But at the same time woman like this just don’t come around often. 

Perhaps I am over thinking things and need to go with the flow. As long as she is comfortable with the waiting scenario. 

Harry's picture

Move in to see What life is like as a family.  SK there ? 24/7, EOWN, ?  That you can’t go out to dinner with you SO, because you need a babysitter,  or movies or anything else with out lots of planing.  No playing around in the morning, or daytime,   One think for sure, having your own child will not change your life,  

Rags's picture

So, you have a decision to make. 

I met my incredible bride of nearly 24 years 4years after my divorce was final and about a year after she broke up with her son's baby daddy.  SS-25 was 15mo when we met and we married a week before he turned 2yo.

I knew that my wife was who I wanted spend my life with and for that to happen I had to step up and be my SS's father.  So that is what I did.  I have no regrets.  Not that we didn't have our fair share of challenges.  We definately had those.

If you want to make a life with this woman then make a life with this woman and work out the details as you go forward.

Now for my opinion on whether you want a life with this woman.... You don't.  If you did... you already would be making it  happen.

If  you hesitate, it isn't right for you.  The only way I know to make a successful marriage in a blended family situation is for you and your bride to be equity life partners and for each of  you to be equity parents to any children in the mix.  If that doesn't happen IMHO the marriage likely not stand the tests of time.

IMHO of course.

Good luck.