You are here

Step dad suggested my daughter is low class

Nicepeace's picture

Sad
My 16 year old daughter has a habit of swearing in my presence. It does not bother me, although I do often remind her to watch her language as swearing can become a bad habit and is unattractive.

She is a great student, is straight edge, so she is drug and alcohol free and is a all around helpful and mostly has a great attitude. (she is 16)

She referred to something as a bag of sh*t and the Step Father said "you sound so low class when you talk like that"

He was very rude in tone. Now mind you, we had been interacting for an hour at this point, but he basically hasnt said much of anything to her.

They have had a rocky relationship, which they are both working at repairing. I feel he could have giving her and compliment such as, "You are such a lovely young woman, it always shocks me when you use that language." or just a reason why it is unappealing.

His friends talk like sailors around my daughters and I have often told him that I dont care for some of these people because they show no class....

I am the mamma bear with them. Any thoughts?

Nicepeace's picture

I dont want him to compliment her. I want him to learn how to build a relationship that shows he respects her. (such a long history of conflict)

If I swore and he said straight out, with out having said anything else to me, "you sound low class when you talk like that" I would feel it is rude.

I dont tell him his friends are low class, I say I dont really like to hang out with some of those people.

I respect his message to her. I agree with him. But, I would rather hear someone make her THINK about her actions then to criticize her with an already unstable re-pore.

alwaysanxious's picture

I can't be of any help here. I'm in the same position as your DH, except my friends don't talk like that either. My SD sounds low class. Luckily SO doesn't let her talk like that around us. His friends all talk like sailors, so does he. I don't.

He tries to teach her not to get into such a bad habit.

hopefulSM's picture

You state that YOU tell her it's unattractive, but you don't like DH telling her it's low class to speak in that way. You don't have a problem with your teen daughter talking that way, but you do with his ADULT friends? Seems a little backwards.

It seems the real problem is you didn't like the way he said something. DH is not you he is not going to approuch things and speak things in the way you would. Men simple do NOT approuch things as women do or use the words the way a women would.

Your DH will have the relationship he does with SD. That is THEIR relationship and it really is something you cannot dictate for them. If SD has an issue with how/what DH said that is for HER to address with him. If she is old enough to talk in that way, she is old enough to hear what someone else thinks about it wtih out them having to sugar coat it for her.

If it were an aunt, uncle, grandma, neighboor, teacher, an adult of a small child in a store, etc that said that to your daughter would you be so upset over it? Probably not.

Anywho78's picture

I'm sorry but I'm with your DH...no matter what their relationship is like, cursing (especially around one's parent) is trashy & low class...when I was younger, we cursed around our PEERS, not adults, it just wasn't done.

stepfamilyfriend's picture

He had the right to say something. She should be able to handle something like that. The issue I see is that using the term " low class" perpetuates an elitism. One would be better to say " uneducated" because the whole idea of "classes" should really be something of the past in this country.

buttercookie's picture

Ok he didn't say she was low class he said she was speaking low class, big difference. And why as a mother, would you NOT want your daughter to be brought up to be a lady? Your daughter was the wrong one in this instance but go ahead and blame the step parent :sick: Guilty parent?

Nicepeace's picture

Yes I agree and he even told her that. The issue is his lack of being balanced as a parent, saying nothing to her for days and then rudely stating that she seems low class to talk like that.

Does anyone like to be spoken to like that?

If your boss spoke to you that way, do you respect them? Probably not. There is just a better way to deal with the HUMAN race. Not just my daughter but every person you come across.

To justify rude behavior is an an excuse you make.

Example. I had surgery a month ago. He came home with flowers for me. My kids both said "Awe pretty flowers for my mom" And his reply was " Yeah, what have you done for her"?

This is the rudeness I am talking about. It is me being a guilty parent or have entitled children it is a grown man that speaks to his step children that way.

Kes's picture

I think that part of the problem seems to be that Step Dad made the remark after having been silent to SD for some time. I can see why Nicepeace finds that difficult. I disengaged years ago, and always feel that I do not have the "right" to say critical things to my SDs, or attempt to correct their speech or behaviour, because I do not say anything positive to them, either! I mostly keep silent while they are with us for weekends, so to come out with something very overtly critical would seem to be not playing by the rules which I have laid down for myself.
I agree with Nicepeace, and think if he could have put it in the way she suggested, it would have been more diplomatic and probably had more effect.

buttercookie's picture

Ok maybe he didn't sugarcoat it the way the OP figures he should of, he probably could have said it better but he didn't, There is no excuse for a parent to allow a kid/teen to speak in that manner in public or among adults. Its a matter of respect. The OP is also trying to deflect from her childs poor behavior by pinning the blame on the step parent. The child was wrong, the adult will need to learn to reword stuff so the precious child isn't traumatized by being called out on bad behavior

Nicepeace's picture

We all parent different. My child is respectful. A slip of a swear word is not the end of the world people. get over it.

Disneyfan's picture

I think the OP's issue is that he pipes in to comment on the negative but ignores the positive.

aggravated1's picture

Where are you getting that from? I don't see anywhere where she implies that at all.

Nicepeace's picture

DisneyFan- mostly that is it. He says nothing to her other than what he disapproves of.

I stated that I agree with him and let them have the conversation between them.

Let's just say this. If you were a manager and dealing with an employee, wouldnt you want to motivate that employee to be the best they can be? To me, That is an effective manager. After saying it for the first time the request should be honored.

To all you step parents- Being one is so difficult and thankless. I personally like to build positive relationships that benefit both people. Not trying to protect my precious dear but wanting her to feel respected and loved. This is more about the interaction then the wrong doing.

Can we not start with our families on balance and respect? Respect is earned. I dont think age matters on that. No parent should talk disrespectful to a child. It only teaches that child how to treat them and other people...

I agree that it is trashy and unnecessary to swear.

alwaysanxious's picture

There's obviously no point in him saying anything at all. You said you let her talk like that. It is probably frustrating for him to see you parent differently from him.

He just didn't stay consistent and remaining disengaged. Hopefully he learned his lesson.

Nicepeace's picture

DisneyFan- mostly that is it. He says nothing to her other than what he disapproves of.

I stated that I agree with him and let them have the conversation between them.

Let's just say this. If you were a manager and dealing with an employee, wouldnt you want to motivate that employee to be the best they can be? To me, That is an effective manager. After saying it for the first time the request should be honored.

To all you step parents- Being one is so difficult and thankless. I personally like to build positive relationships that benefit both people. Not trying to protect my precious dear but wanting her to feel respected and loved. This is more about the interaction then the wrong doing.

Can we not start with our families on balance and respect? Respect is earned. I dont think age matters on that. No parent should talk disrespectful to a child. It only teaches that child how to treat them and other people...

I agree that it is trashy and unnecessary to swear.

aggravated1's picture

I see your point.
However, I have to agree with your husband. I would have NO problem with my DH saying that to our kids-in fact, she should not have spoken that way in front of adults, period. Should he respect her, then?

Shaman29's picture

My DH in a time of Disney Dad and Great Stupidity, gave his kid (d15) permission to speak her mind and say whatever she wanted to adults. "As long as you realize some adults don't appreciate it".

I don't appreciate her smart mouth, snarky attitude and speaking to adults as though she's their equal.

I tell her the same thing every time. YOU are a child. YOU do not have my permission to speak that way in MY presence and I will NOT tolerate it.

I have chewed out DH several times for allowing his kid this freedom. He was fine with it until she turned it around on him. He came whining to me about it and told him "It's your own damn fault. You gave her the freedom to speak her mind to adults, instead of treating them with respect. You don't like it, then you better change it."

Bottom line, I'm siding with the step-dad. As her parent, you should be aware it's not an appropriate way for a child to speak around an adult. You should have taught her better manners. But since you didn't, you can't complain when someone objects to her language. I highly doubt this is the first time she's used that kind of language in front of her step-dad and he's probably sick of it.

I know I was sick of it from the get-go and I put a swift stop to it.

buttercookie's picture

Bottom line, I'm siding with the step-dad. As her parent, you should be aware it's not an appropriate way for a child to speak around an adult. You should have taught her better manners. But since you didn't, you can't complain when someone objects to her language. I highly doubt this is the first time she's used that kind of language in front of her step-dad and he's probably sick of it.
______
LOVE THIS!!!!!

buttercookie's picture

when did bad parenting become the step parents fault? Seems like a theme thats been going on

Nicepeace's picture

And so your kids have never sworn?

Right.

I child that swears doesnt make me a bad parent. Not in anyway. I wont accept that.

Obviously this forum is not for support and encouragement. It is for being unkind and taking your miserable lives out on people. Whatever.

Anywho78's picture

It is a "support" forum but it's for step-parents...you surely can't expect us "steps" to back YOU up because step-dad said something about YOUR DD's language...if you're wanting US to think it's not okay for a man to speak his mind about foul language in his own home, you're in the wrong forum.

Shaman29's picture

I do not have a miserable life and I am not taking anything out on you. You came on this board posting a complaint that your husband reprimanded your daughter for the way she was speaking. You need to understand this is a site for step-parents to vent about our individual situations.

You're offended because I didn't agree with you and felt your husband had a valid point. It's not that I think your daughter is low class or badly behaved. I just believe there is a more appropriate way for children to express themselves when they are around adults.

Shaman29's picture

To be honest, DH's kid and Uberskank (BM) made me miserable for a few years. Which is what drove me to this site. If it weren't for Stalk, the support and suggestions I would have been single two years ago. Smile

Nicepeace's picture

So as a person, it's totally cool to talk to anyone rude. What about being a positive influence. Clearly we cant expect a man to do such a thing. Step parents must be incapable of being kind. That is all I have seen here.

Thanks.

Shaman29's picture

I'm sorry you feel this way. I realize you're comfortable having your daughter address you in this manner, which is fine if that's your choice.

It would appear your husband does not feel the same way. You are offended by the way he spoke to your child. I understand you didn't like it. It seems you're taking your frustration over his reaction out on this site. Which again, is fine because this site is for venting.

However, I advise you to speak to him about your feelings, possibly with a counselor because it seems to me there is more to this than meets the eye.

By the way, my DH is a very positive (if long winded) influence on his daughter. And he's a MAN.

You are also correct in your assumption about step-parents. We are all are evil, cruel and mean. Which reminds me, I'm penciled in to lock my DH's kid in her closet with only bread, water and bucket the next time she comes over.

Nicepeace's picture

And so your kids have never sworn?

Right.

I child that swears doesnt make me a bad parent. Not in anyway. I wont accept that.

Obviously this forum is not for support and encouragement. It is for being unkind and taking your miserable lives out on people. Whatever.

buttercookie's picture

Never said mine didn't but they were called out on it similar to what this step dad did. My kids probably sweared all the time but they did not do it in my presence or any of the older families presence they were taught manners

Oh and when my kids got in trouble it was for what they did, I didn't find others to blame their poor behavior on.

It's not all like this. But many advocate yhe need to support those who vent....but it often does not apply if you are not a step venting.
I think that if your SO can't say anything about the good stuff, he has no business criticizing. It's either both or neither. She sounds like a good girl. Good luck.

aggravated1's picture

"I think that if your SO can't say anything about the good stuff, he has no business criticizing. It's either both or neither. "

Well, of course. If the SD drags a dead body up on the porch, don't say anything, unless you have balanced it out earlier in the day by telling her how good her hair looks.

Sheesh.

buttercookie's picture

LMAO }:) Smile Wink

Nicepeace's picture

Thank you. Im not looking to blame him for her behavior or my parenting.

But I feel it is okay to demand we speak respectfully to 'family'. She is reprimanded and has consequences.

I came to this forum for STEPparent's opinions.

I am just hoping to build a better family unit. I can punish my childs imperfections and ask my SO to make nice with the kids and I can beat myself up for being unable to make anyone comply with my wishes.

hopefulSM's picture

But I feel it is okay to demand we speak respectfully to 'family'.

A child swearing while talking with the family is NOT speaking respectfully. If you are okay with your child speaking disrespectuflly while around family - you better be okay with other's speaking disrespectfully.

I guess it would have been more appropriate in your eyes if he would have said "you're such a "f"ing lovely child?" (and yes, slather on the sarcasm while saying it).

Shaman29's picture

I have found it's a problem when we react or respond in a negative fashion to the bad parenting.

Children not treating adults or authority with respect is a huge pet peeve of mine. The first time DH's kid (she was 11 at the time) spoke to me like she was my equal, it nearly put me out of my tree. That's when I found out about DH giving her the freedom to speak her mind (my kid is soooooo smart, everyone tells me she's a chip off the old block!).

BARF.

I realize it wasn't so much his kid's fault, since she was given permission from Disney Dad 1997-2009. But there was no way I was going to tolerate it. I was nice about it in the beginning but after "reminding" her for the 10th time.....well let's just say I wasn't so nice any more. Nothing pisses a 15 y/o girl more than referring to her as a CHILD. }:)

Nicepeace's picture

My daughter doesnt have a bad attitude and I dont allow her to talk to me or other adults in a rude fashion. Ever. But I dont let people walk on her either.

Im sure you all perfect kids that never do things to push their limits. Open your minds people, Teens think the way they want. I have a great kid that has a full schedule of school and after school program and works weekends.

Saying "shit" is the least of HER problems. Having a step dad that wont say anything positive is an issue. I dont care what she did. There is nothing wrong with giving a "shit sandwich" to someone to motivate with love instead of fear.

Shaman29's picture

If my parents ever caught me saying shit to them or in front of an adult, I would have been swallowing teeth.

twopines's picture

This.

aggravated1's picture

Exactly. And I have two teenagers that are awesome kids, but they know if they speak that way in front of me or their dad they will be pooping their molars the next day. Smile

alwaysanxious's picture

"Saying "shit" is the least of HER problems."
then it sounds like step-dad doesn't have much to work with that positive to say about her. Sorry just don't have enough info I guess here.

maybe you should have him come to this site, so we can inform him about disengaging from your daughter more consistently

Nicepeace's picture

"maybe you should have him come to this site, so we can inform him about disengaging from your daughter more consistently"

Im sure you have a great home and a fantastic marriage.

Isnt family about support and love not matter what that looks like?

Sad.

Erin005's picture

You are NOT supporting your husband. Many step parents find that disengaging is the only option left to them and is generally a direct response to the lack of support and respect the step parent recieves from their partner.

Lauren1438's picture

I am sorry if this sounds mean but this is not the site for you. This is for step parents. Getting on here and complaining about your husband and how he is as a step dad to your daughter is not what this site is made for.

Lauren1438's picture

I am sorry if this sounds mean but this is not the site for you. This is for step parents. Getting on here and complaining about your husband and how he is as a step dad to your daughter is not what this site is made for.

LetItEnfoldYou's picture

I never seen a problem in swearing amongst family members or close friends. I have cussed at home with my parents since I was in high school (it was NEVER permitted to cuss AT them in a disrespectful way, but in general conversation, the use of swear words was almost normal). Why? Because my parents and friends have always known me pretty well, and they know I'm not a low-class, ill-mannered person. There are times to be professional and diplomatic, and there are times when it's OK to joke around. However, my parents always made it clear that swearing in school, at work, in public areas, and with acquaintances was something they considered unacceptable, and it certainly wouldn't be socially acceptable to others. To this day you will never catch me cussing in any of these places. This has always seemed fair to me.

Just my opinion. Smile

Nicepeace's picture

And that was exactly her reply to him. Thank you. Pick your battles. She has always been a teacher and employer favorite. She isn't perfect but she is not disrespectful to him or me and when she is she is reminded that she is crossing an unfavorable line.

buttercookie's picture

Obviously she was swearing in front of an adult for him to hear it and comment on it. He didn't call her low class he said she sounded that way. I'm sure he's just expecting her to act respectful and ladylike, you are making a mountain out of a mole hill by trying to paint him in a bad fashion because your daughter messed up and after all he's just a step.

LetItEnfoldYou's picture

This reminds me so much of my SD16. DH and I share many similar parenting ideas, and SD16 is allowed to curse in conversation with us. She is also a teacher/employer favorite, and DH has been told many times by even the most traditional and strict teachers that SD16 is very mature for her age, follows direction, is respectful, and is kind amongst her peers (not that this is an accomplishment by any means, and she knows this. This is the kind of behavior that should be expected out of anybody).

Honestly, if SD16 is frustrated with her school-related social life and wants to rant to me about the "idiotic a**holes" in her class that back-talk and harass the teacher, I am fine with it. If she wants to complain about the "bitchy" girls who make fun of everybody and start fights, I'm not going to stop her mid-sentence and scream WATCH THAT MOUTH YOUNG LADY!!!!. To me and especially to DH, it is more important that SD16 has found her own way and is mature enough to see those types of behaviors as inappropriate. It is possible to raise a good kid with a good head on their shoulders, while at the same time being lax on certain things.

hopefulSM's picture

I think YOU need to pick your battles. Your DH did not call your DD low class he said the language she was using was low class and you agreed. He simple made his opinion knowing. You did not like this becuase according to you he doesn't acknowledge her much - as most stepparents who have obnoxious kids that are not respectful try to back off and disengage. I have disengaged at times too and as all stepparents - we have slip ups and will let an opinion slip out of our minds and out of mouths. I know it seems like a tragedy - but seriously - as you stated yourself - PICK YOUR BATTLES!!!!!

helena_brass's picture

Take your own advice and pick your own battles. Perhaps your DH is overly negative to your daughter. Okay, then this is the problem that needs to be addressed, and with a much better example. This particular case makes your DH look quite right and you look quite overly protective and not a little foolish. He may have been curt, but he did not insult her person, just noted a poor behavior. He was correct to do so. Perhaps instead of discouraging him from doing this, you should encourage him to also interact with her in a positive manner. He can point out bad behavior, but perhaps he could also reward positive behavior with a compliment or something nice to say.

Alternately, wake up and smell the troll.

hismineandours's picture

Respect is earned. I dont think age matters on that. No parent should talk disrespectful to a child. It only teaches that child how to treat them and other people...

This is the part I have a problem with. I dont feel i have to EARN my ss13's respect. My dh, in one of his crazier periods, tried to tell me this. My response was, "excuse me, but if raising this kid since age 1, toilet training him, cooking for him, cleaning up after him, providing for him, attending and providing transportation to his extracurriculars, helping him with homework, sitting with him for 6 hours in the ER, missing countless days of work when he was ill, etc, etc, etc is not enough to earn his respect, then what the HELL is?
Maybe your dh feels he has done enough to EARN respect from her?

Also, I was taught that NO adult needed to earn my respect. I was to respect my elders. Period. If they did something horrible (I'm truly talking horrible-as in abuse-not correcting me for cursing)then I could withdraw my respect. But it was supposed to be a given.

This is one of the things I hate about being a stepparent. If my own kid cursed in front of me-I would tell them to knock it off and be very blunt about it. However, if my ss13 curses I, too, feel like I am not supposed to say anything. And that is ridiculous. It is my own house-if I dont want to hear a child cursing in it I should be able to set that boundary. Heck, If my kids had a friend over and they cursed I'd tell them to knock it off too.

Nicepeace's picture

I agree with you. And that is your choice.

If you are consistently unable to see the good in someone and only express your negative feelings then what is to stop a kid from doing the same to you.

We teach or kids how to be in relationships. So basically if you are an jerk then they will be too.

Isnt it so that children do what we do. Sorry folks. I dont think it is okay to be rude. It is okay to state boundaries and give consequences but being a wicked step parent on purpose? Does that ever serve the Family, marriage or children?

I have a peeve with people excusing shoddy behavior. With that, I never excused my daughters behavior, but I dont think she deserved his snide tone. She did need to be told that her language is not acceptable, which was said. How do you like your children to be spoken to by anyone like they dont deserve the time of day? This is the issue. Not my dear precious daughters feeling. It is the whole idea of getting children to become the same great parents and people that you all beleive you are. Humiliation is BS.

His friends talk like sailors around her daughter!
He better let them know also. And what is it with this "lady like" stuff? Talk like a lady but it's ok to behave like a faul and nasty person? The whole lady thing just bothers me. Act like a good, respectful kind person.

I hate to think this way and I apologize to OP if I am wrong, but I am starting to wonder if this is a troll thing. It's starting some nasty stuff.
If it's a legit. post then I apologize for the " unlady like " responses you are getting.

helena_brass's picture

Hun, she's been on here for all of 2 hours, posts this, and her bio states that she's a BM only. Oh, and then once the opinions roll in she magically disappears from the conversation. You tell me.

Yes, I think you are right. I also think that some if these are current members that just want to stir up stuff. It worked. What a mess.

Nicepeace's picture

Ok fine step parents.

I assumed that you are still people in marriages and jobs and raising kid yours and someone elses.

I get that the way you were raised is the only right way. So I fail as a parent to have a child that says shit and a SO that is an ass to her. Just trying to raise a family and hope that this step parent site actually had so compassion and sense.

Obviously the majority of you dislike and stay disengaged from your step kids and whine all day about it on here. I literally was just trying to see if I am wrong to want the man I love to be nice to my child. Obviously that is way too much to ask of a "step parent" Non of you once seemed able to express any love or compassion towards your children or the Biological parent.

Kids are not perfect. I am not perfect and I can guarantee non of you have perfect families because of your attitudes. I dont live in the stone age like most of you seem to.

When an adult purposely and mindfully and intentionally is rude to a child they are acting as an abuser. I feel it is okay to want my child to be loved in their home. Discipline is a form of love. However feeling like you are superior because you are the ADULT is, in my opinion a form of abuse.

You dont have to be a prick to get what you want from any one.

Peace

twopines's picture

If you truly in your heart think your DH/SO is being abusive to your daughter, perhaps you need to get out of this relationship.

Slippery slope and all that.

aggravated1's picture

Wow. Well since you put it that way, and you consider it abusive, WHY are you still with the man???

StickAFork's picture

I can't believe the word "peace" is in use here. DANG. It sounds like her daughters' shit don't stank...so... I really feel sorry for her DH. We don't have lives and families and jobs and our kids are all perfect. THAT's why we think her daughter was out of line.

Mmmmm,hmmmmm....

purpledaisies's picture

I haven't read all the replies but I don't think the issue is weather your dd is swearing but more of the way your dh her step father talked to her. I can see how you would be momma bear but honestly he is right it is sound very low class to talk like that. All your dh wanted was the best for her and if she talks like that I can see were if he others will see her as low class and he didn't want that for her. So he really does have her best interest here. Only thing he did wrong was do it in a way YOU don't approve of.

Some times we HAVE to get our point across and if the way you were doing was not working and by the sound of it it wasn't he thought doing it a different way would get her attention and it did. All you are doing buy getting upset with the way he did it is harming their relationship not helping it. It is not up to him to show respect as she is a child she needs to show him respect and the respect with come back to her from him.

I been there done that with my own dd as when she got about that age she thought she could use a few not so good words and she is a very good student and on the cheer team and all around a good kid but she just wanted to say those words. The thing is she was just trying to express herself but she was going about it the wrong way and it is up to US as parents to teach them that it is the wrong way. Her step father was only trying to help her see that she is being perceived the wrong way when she talks like that.

Did it hurt her feels? SURE it did but I bet he got his point across and IF you come in behind him and say something then as I said you are HURTING their relationship not helping it. B/c them she is going to the mess from YOU that see I told you we can't have a good relationship.

see what I'm saying? Wink

I may not agree 100% percent with you, but yours is a sensible, logical answer. Thanks.

purpledaisies's picture

Thank you that means a lot. I was just trying to get her to see that he really does care b/c if he didn't he wouldn't have said anything.

Nicepeace's picture

The thing is, I never said a word to either of them. I have all along agreed with HIM. I disagree that he is a bastard to my kid.

What is wrong with saying what he said? Nothing. But further the lesson. This man has a rocky relationship with her. They both are trying. So why is it too much to ak for him to be a mentor that encorages better behavior by setting a positive example? I do not coddle my children. I dont expect him to, but I would NOT let my DD be rude to my DH, why should it be okay for him to be rude? This isnt only on the swear words. it is about everything with him.

DoingItAgain's picture

I love your approach with your response... this is probably the best answer yet! I'd like to further add though that by not supporting your husband in front of your child, you are actually disrespecting your spouse.

So guess what? The daughter was disprespectful by swearing in the presence of an adult (especially if said adult does not find it appealing), hubby might have been wrong in his approach but momma! Oh yes, momma was disrespectful to her husband by not supporting him (when she knows that daughters swearing is disprectful to him) and whatever approach he chose.

You all needed to handle the situation better. Dad handled it now worse than the other two!

Nicepeace's picture

If you read the comments you would have seen that i did agree with him and told her so but let them have the conversation. I do not disrespect anyone in my family namely my DH.

And this was the first incident so it was complete news to me. We both talk very openly to my teens and there are no subjects that are taboo.

His reaction was new and unknown to me or her. We had NEVER had the conversation. Nor do we ever disagree in front of them. The last thing I want is my kids to think of me husband as an A-hole. So DoingItAgain, you dont know what you are talking about.

purpledaisies's picture

nicepeace I think you might be expecting a little too much form for dh. He is not her father and he is trying to be the best step parent he can. Maybe sit down with him and talk to him about certain things and expectations. You can't force him to be a DAD to your kids. You can however expect him to be an adult in their lives like aunt or uncle. He doesn't parent the same way you do and you are expecting him too. Maybe start with getting on the same page in regards to parenting and what you expect out of each other first.

Unfreakingreal's picture

I swear like a truckdriver but don't allow my kids to swear in my home or in my presence. I know, might seem half assed backwards but that's just the way it is in my house.

alwaysanxious's picture

After re-reading your post to make sure I wasn't biased, I am convinced that you are permissive and he has built up resentment. If it doesn't bother you that she cusses then that is a difference between you and DH on parenting style. He doesn't like seeing her behavior in ways he see's improper. I can only imagine what else he deals with that you think is no big deal and he see's as potential problems later for her in life.

He isn't going to have positive interactions with her because he doesn't think she is being raised properly. I'm glad you don't chastise him in front of her. If you are going to change things, its best now to have a good heart to heart to find out what the deeper issue is.

stone1215's picture

address it with your daughter by telling her if she feels like he was right she should change her vocabulary and not be mad at him . but if she really does not have any problems with how she speaks tell her to stand up for herself . maybe by informing him that she is just trying to come down to his level so that he can feel comfortable around her . and then you can inform him that the next time he feels the urge to put your daughter down in your presence he will wake find out what it feels like to have reconstructive dental work done.

StickAFork's picture

None of my kids would ever DREAM of swearing in front of me.
It IS disrespectful.
And they are teens.

It is also low class. I agree. I can have a potty mouth sometimes... worse on here than IRL. I'm a pretty straight arrow IRL.

I cannot believe you think it's "ok" for her to swear in front of you...to the point that it's a HABIT. To each their own.