You are here

SS9 anxiety, separation issues

themorningforger's picture

I am engaged, wedding in a couple of months. Fiance and I have known each other for 20+ years, but dating 1 year. She has an 18yo son, 9 yo son, and 5 yo daughter. The 18 yo and 5 yo love me and we get along great. Initially the 9 yo loved me too. He's very affectionate and often holds my hand when we are walking or lays close to me on the couch etc. He has had some struggles with anxiety, mostly feeling nervous about being separated from his mom when he goes to school etc. It was really problematic for a few months and couseling wasn't helping so he was started on some anxiety medication and the issue disappeared. He didn't like the side effects and did seem a little distant so his mom and biodad decided to take him off the meds for the summer to see how he did off of them. We got engaged about 4 months ago, right around the time he got off the medication. Ever since he has been saying he hates me and I'm mean and I'm the worst person ever. He says all I do is take away his mom and he never gets to see her. The interesting thing is that he knows I'm not mean, and if we ignore his outbursts, he'll often revert back to being affectionate. But if someone says "see, you do like him" he says he hates me again and isolates himself from me.  When his mom and I are sitting close to each other, holding hands, or kissing, he attempts to break us apart and get between us. It was sort of cute and funny initially, but since he's been saying he hates me and he wishes I was dead, it's become a little pathologic and scary. We are planning to have our own children together and this really sets him off. He says he will throw the baby into the lake and stuff  like that. To add to the problem he says he wants to go live with his dad since he never gets to see his mom and I'm the worst person he's ever met. Neither of us want this of course. 

This seems like some obvious separation anxiety and attention-seeking behavior and we're focusing on making it a point for him to spend extra quality time with his mom, but it is interfering with our relationship and I don't want this to bleed over to the daughter. She so sweet and we have a great relationship. I don't want him to ruin that. 

I'm sure some of you have dealt with similar issues. What has worked? What can I expect?

Rags's picture

Put the kid back in the meds, zero tolerance for any behavioral or verbal threats.

Even if this kid actually has anxiety issues this  manipulative crap  must be confronted and eliminated if your marriage is to survive.  Not to mention any children you have surviving a toxic violent older brother.

lieutenant_dad's picture

Medicate him. It worked, just needed to be tweaked to find the right balance.

Taking anyone cold-turkey off psych meds is a recipe for disaster. It needs to be tapered off and monitored closely. You wouldn't take someone with diabetes off insulin when it didn't make them feel good. The same is true of meds for mental health issues.

Try a different med regimen and get him in to counselling WITH being medicated. That way his anxiety is managed and he can articulate what is actually bothering him.