You are here

Is this normal?

matthall1701's picture

I have 3 step children, and 1 daughter. My wife's kids are two boys ages 10, 9, and a girl age 5. Our daughter is almost 1 year.

So, her middle boy is gifted. He has tested as having a high IQ for his age by the public school he attends. I've got a couple of issues with him. First, yes, he is intelligent, he gets excellent grades, but so did I at his age. Straight As. It didn't make me super intelligent. He has no common sense whatsoever. He makes silly choices and cannot follow instructions at all. He was asked to clean the kitchen table the other day. It was cleared, he needed only to spray and wipe the table which he has done many times before. He started crying when his mom and I got on to him for just barely wiping it and diverting his attention back to the TV. I said something to him, and he yelled at smart ass remark back at me and started crying. I sent him to his room, then we had a talk about respect and what it means, especially to members of your family.

That's another thing. He seems to feel the need to challenge me a lot lately. If he doesn't like what I tell him, then he gets mad, cries, and then hides it from me. He asked the other night if he could stay up reading in his room. I told him no because it was past his bedtime. A few minutes later I go check to make sure the kids are all in bed and lights out. He has his door closed which is not allowed in our house, because he has his light on reading. I asked why he did that when he asked and I told him no. He said he didn't know and started crying that I won't let him read. Told him I'm glad he was reading, but that rules are rules and he needed to follow them. He said he wanted to ask his mom if he could read. Told him it is still a rule, and she had agreed on the rules, why did he want to question me? He just cried. I told him to go ahead. He told his mom that I refused to let him read his Bible. She looked at me like she could tear my eyes out until I told her that he asked 20 minutes after bedtime and I told him no, that he needed to go to bed like his siblings. She ended up letting him stay up late to read. I wasn't trying to be harsh or critical, I was just asking him to follow the rules and show me some respect by listening when I said to do something.

I ask if this is normal because I have additional concerns about his behavior and wonder if there is a condition present. He is very socially awkward. His brother has friends, is in to sports and other things normal for his age. Not to say that everyone has to be into sports, but he has a fit if we have him do anything but watch tv, YouTube, and play video games. If he isn't on his Wii, then he has a DS in his hand. If he doesn't have that, then it's an old iPhone. If he doesn't have that, then he is constantly complaining about being bored and is very difficult. His awkwardness goes way beyond that though. He interrupts conversations ALL the time. He will just run into the room while his mom and I are talking, and start telling one of us all about what he just saw on his video game or YouTube. When we tell him to not interrupt, he keeps talking like he didnt even hear us. If we do manage to get his attention and get him to stop, he will turn his exposition toward the other person...like that person wasn't involved in a conversation either.

When I get home from work, the other two kids give me normal greetings like "hi! Glad your home!" or give me a hug. He runs up and just starts talking about some video game or YouTube video, like we were already having a conversation and he is picking up where we left off...even though that's not the case.

When he goes on one of these frenzied video game rants, he has trouble forming sentences. When he is calm, talking about school or whatever, he talks fine, but when he is excited, he will rephrase a sentence 4 or 5 times before he finally completes it. And he yells almost everything. We are constantly reminding him to use his "indoor voice".

I've also been told that he has some sort of sensory condition. I don't understand it really but his mom seems to. A trip to the dentist for the others is the normal exercise in discomfort and a lot of crying for the others. But for him, he has to be restrained because he will freak out, begin flailing, and then run from the dentist. He almost hurt himself the last time and managed to hit the dentist.

I don't know what to do here. His mom doesn't think there is anything developmentally wrong with him, and the school's recent declaration that he is a gifted kid has cemented her opinion that he is nothing but that.

I worry for a couple of reasons. My stepdaughter, who is 5, learns many of her behaviors from him. She yells now whenever she talks. She has started to be more defiant, especially of me, and insists asking her mom questions that I have already answered for her. She is learning his bad habits, doesn't pick up after herself, doesn't listen when she is told to put a toy or her shoes away. I tripped over her shoes at 3am because she left them in the exact middle of the kitchen despite being told to put them away over and over. Another reason I'm concerned is that he is very overly affectionate with my daughter. He is always touching her, getting in her face, and trying to play with her even when she is aggravated and crying. His mom says it's the sensory thing coming in to play, that he has identified her as something cuddly. But no matter how much we tell him to back up and stop, he continues to start up again. I worry what that is going to mean when he is a teenager. Puberty is around the corner. I don't think my step-daughter would let him get away with anything he shouldn't, but my daughter will still be too young to understand when he is hitting his teens. Whether or not it is a sensory issue or not, I don't want him to keep this up and hurt my daughter.

I've read about autism and asperbergers. I'm not saying either of these conditions make you a bad person, but I do know that if he has one of these and we do not handle it properly, it could be detrimental to him. I love the kid, but I love my daughter more. I don't want her hurt, nor do I want her picking up the same bad habits that he has.

Am I overthinking things?

NoWireCoatHangarsEVER's picture

I am a mom of four kids. One has been deemed gifted through testing and she is an 8 year old girl with an IQ in the high 130's and goes to an all day gifted public school program. She also freaks out at the dentist like you described. She's also very weird about how clothing feels and fits on her and freaks out sometimes only about clothing and shoes. No one has mentioned anything about sensory processing to me but I suspect maybe she might have a tad of it. She doesn't have autism or aspergers. It maybe just being gifted and having sensory processing problems BUT I don't think that means you should put up with that kind of behavior. I don't.

Case in point. We go to the store. We buy a bathing suit. She tries it on and loves it. We go to the Springs. She goes into the bathroom and puts it on and won't come out. Says its too small, says it feels funny. Cries and carries on and on and on. I swear this is an all the time occurence. So I say fine. What do you expect me to do? We are already at the springs. So just sit at the picnic table all day long while all of your friends and siblings play. I don't care." She sits there for awhile and then goes and puts it on and swims all day just fine no more complaints. My ex husband would leave the springs and go to a store an hour away and buy her another one. We went to a different springs last weekend and she wore that same suit, this time with no problem. I just let her work it out herself and get over it. I don't yell and chastize but I leave her to her melt down alone and with no audience she usually gets over it fast. Say he is on the spectrum, some people would just excuse the bad behaviors and say "oh well its the autism" but others still try and correct and fix the bad behavior.

WalkOnBy's picture

It's a sensory processing disorder thing, which is very, very common in gifted kids.

Thing2 to this day will not wear t-shirts with tags or socks with lines across the toe - and he is about to turn 21!!

Oh, the battles we had when he was younger and before I knew what was going on with him....

NoWireCoatHangarsEVER's picture

Oh my gosh, yes. I'll just get in the car now and so will all the other kids. I give her a few minutes and then I start backing out of the driveway and then she'll finally get dressed and will still cry in the car for a few minutes about whatever... the fabric is too scratchy, its too big, its too small, one foot is bigger than the other and then two or three traffic lights down the road she's forgotten her complaint. If we just sit at home and wait, we won't ever leave and get to where we need to go.

Tuff Noogies's picture

lol i STILL have sensory issues! it'll get more managable as the kid gets older. he also sounds a bit ADD (inattentive). imho, i dont think it sounds like he's on the spectrum, but he could be. there's no harm whatsoever in just having him checked if your wife is open to the suggestion. you could frame it as "ss seems to have issues connecting with people his age and impulse control, i think it might be a good thing to cautiously rule out any medical reason before chalking it up to age and personality, just to be on the safe side"

Cover1W's picture

Add me to this list - SD12 is super, super, super picky about textures. Socks, pants, shirts, jackets, underwear, shoes, swimsuits, sunglasses, hats, sunscreen, lotions, shampoo, soap, food. EVERYTHING is still an issue. I don't buy her anything at all...I still think DP and BM think it's not an issue and "she'll grow out of it." Yeah, or maybe not. Because she's not much changed since I met her at age 9.

SD10 is better - she's picky with pants; only has ever worn leggings for pants. BUT she did start wearing jean shorts a full year ago. SD12 still won't do that. I'm hoping she will start wearing jeans soon b/c she tears through her leggings like crazy. But then again, I don't buy them...whatever. Color is an issue for her...it can't be too girly nor too boy-like. And those shoes better be made for running.

yep, both are super smart.

matthall1701's picture

Thanks! So far, I've heard that he is reading at an 11th grade level. I don't know how they come to their conclusions. I've heard him read papers out loud. He....still...reads...like...this...and...sometimes...says...the...words...wrong. His spelling is still that of someone his age, so I don't get how they think 11th grade. But it is what the school declared.

ESMOD's picture

I work with engineers and many of them are extremely smart and many of them appear to have little common sense and are socially awkward. Being an odd duck doesn't necessarily mean that you are or are not intelligent. He may have difficulties reading out loud but have very high retention and comprehension of what he has read, hence their 11th grade assessment. Intelligence doesn't mean that you might not have issues like aspergers or autism that may make you act non-traditionally and therefore make you appear like you are doing silly things.

BTW, I also work with extremely personable and highly social engineers. They are not necessarily linked.

GoingWicked's picture

Look up gifted traits, it will help tremendously to figure out what is normal...I live with 3 gifted kiddos including SD. Did you ever consider that your SD might also be gifted? Maybe that is why she is acting up? It runs in families. DH and I were both gifted, both of our IQs are in the 150s. Our middle one being the most gifted, probably an IQ of 170 or so, and by far the most eccentric and defiant. You have to let them make decisions, be responsible for their actions. If they don't pick up, you pick it up and hide it in the garage until they've cleaned up for a week.

They are all mouthy and defiant, they tell horrendous lies, they definitely not passive submissive or easy kids to raise.

They are obsessed with perfection, so really I have to show them how to let it go, which is hard for me... when they spill something or don't clean something just right, make it a time of forgiveness instead of anger.

My middle son goes on and on about what interests him, I think that's just the age, just teach him to be polite about it. It helps if you ask questions, breaks it up a bit.

Both of my kids are very cuddly, love to hug, there's nothing wrong with that. Especially boys, I hate to see boys unable to give physical affection because it goes against the stereotype of being a tough guy, everyone needs physical affection. Other than when the bothering becomes annoying, then you should teach boundaries. Your daughter will look at cuddling with her brother a whole lot differently than you will.

My middle child only needs 6-8 hours sleep, he does not sleep, stopped naps at 2, which is another gifted trait. We let the kids stay up, so long as they are reading. SD has a TV in her room, she can watch, but she is older and more responsible.

None of my kids have a problem with the doc, but some kids do, even grown adults, some people have to be put out to have dental work done.

Turn off the TV in your home during chores and study time, don't expect kids to listen when the tv is on.

Otherwise unless these behaviors affect his ability to keep friends or interrupt with classroom work I wouldn't worry.