You are here

how much money do you have left after cs for the week ?

pat's picture

CS takes out over 75 % of my pay , I just put in for a reduction and got declined for it. So my question is how much are you left take home after cs ? I barely have money for gas and food.

buttercookie's picture

You shouldn't be paying 75% of your pay in CS anywhere in the US for 2 kids. Did you have an attorney?

thatchick's picture

Man oh man child support..... My husband pays his ex wife a ungodly amount for 1 child he pays $920 a month......which I would not mind if she actually used it on the kid.....the kid never has decent clothes on and 1 pair of shoes and bought her some crappy jacket for winter we get past due notices from her home loan company and car finance company past due credit card bills....the issue is she makes decent money......she lives in my husbands house with her new fiancée that has custody of his 3 kids but he makes decent as he is in the military too....I think its insane $920 a month for 1 child crazy.....I would be more accepting if she was paying the bills and buying the kid things but she isn't......Ohhhh on top of that first time they went to court the judge signed a article 11 saying child support of $920 a month and blah blah blah....well at that point they were technically divorced just needed the lawyers to fight over who is getting what and yadda yadda......So he followed the article 11 and paid her the $920 but she then called his commanding officer on him like 4 times because not only does she want $920 for child support but until the final decree is signed she wants BAH which is like 1000 a month......so for like 5 months she wants him to pay almost 2k a month.....screw that! We are going back to 50/50 and no child support......not because we don't like supporting the child but because we know all the money satan gets as child support is blown.....I could get it if she had to pay her car payment or lights water etc... it is part of taking care of a kid but.....I was once a since mom and I was ordered $56 a week in child support that I never got....but you know what I did I worked my ass off in order to support my child I didn't need some ungodly amount from her father....it would of been nice but if I could make due on $56 a week child support that I never got then that skank whore that cheated every time he deployed can too!

pat's picture

because I am commission they went by previous years. I was making way more then. This is terrible.

buttercookie's picture

Are you employeed now? Did you explain your situation? There has to be a certain amount you are allowed to keep by law.

I am confused's picture

Absolutely. I'd say "look the system is supposed to be fair and I made three times as much in the past before the economy went in the shitter and I'd be better off on unemployment or food stamps. Screw it I quit. Good luck with the nothing I'll be sending you every month."

pat's picture

They don't care, they will even go after your unemployment or your social security here. What a joke the court system is.

steptwins's picture

Potential to make 150k. I love that! My DH had that done 3 years ago, following year he made 13k. This year will be less as he stopped working in March & is looking for a job again now. I wish more than BM he was earning his potential. I am disappointed in his wages and even blamed (by him, BM, & swins) for not being more positive & supportive in helping him nail a 150k job. Tough for them I didn't blink an eye in response esp. since I work fulltime for 14 years straight & extend benefits to them (not BM LOL).

mom2five's picture

They can absolutely go by potential income. State laws vary tremendously. But in most states...especially in the southeast...the courts will always pull the "best interest of the child" argument in order to justify upwards deviations. Child support guidelines are called guidelines for a reason. Judges must use the guidelines when making a determination. However, they can deviate from the recommended amount if they can justify it. And family law judges have an enormous amount of judicial discretion.

I could write a novel about some of the bizarre rulings I've seen in court.

Did you have an attorney? If not, you were likely doomed to fail before you ever opened your mouth. Pro Se litigants make things really difficult on judges. They don't like it, and they tend to rule againt you. There are jurisdictions that are a little more friendly to the pro se litigant. But most still have huge biased again them. (In fairness to the judges, it does put them in a really difficult position.) Just as an example...There are jurisdictions in Virgina that are working to make the law more accessible to the pro se litigant. In most jurisdictions in Georgia, you have almost no chance of succeeding in court absent representation.

pat's picture

:jawdrop: Potential income is a joke. Yeah I have a potential to make 200k but is that possible, yes, in the real world, not. Meanwhile she makes lots of money and piles mine on top. Totally not fair. Anyone in sales has the potential to make any amount.I don't know how they come up with this stuff.

tofurkey's picture

Pat, yeah the system is deff the furthest thing from fair. I don't think they will ever figure it out to be fair. I've been struggling to find another job for a few months now, but currently have taken over DH's previous job. He got a new job, but between the two of us it still isn't jack....almost $600 a month goes out for a child support. We have to really plan way in advance to try to have small and simple pleasures. Even then, we are drowning in credit card debt and payments are tight. It sucks, I understand. DH has tried the reduction route, they actually raised it on him. Yeah, doesn't work.

monkeyboy2030's picture

Consider becoming full time student - or just a student, and get a letter from the college or university that you are a student. BF has custody (long story), and DW had to quit job because of temporary orders. Final divorce mediation set CS based on her "potential income" as an LVN. She has since gone back to school to become an RN. BF took us to mediation (run by Attorney General's office here in Texas to avoid courts) because he wanted more CS based on my income. It was almost lowered to 1/2 because my wife is a full time student and then it is based on minimum wage. He withdrew his complaint, and the rate stayed the same. HAHA!

So - consider becoming a full time student. Most colleges with have courses that are mostly online, but it is based on credit hours. I am not sure how many hours are needed, but the letter was enough for my wife to potentially get her CS cut in half.