You are here

Almost ready to give up. Advice appreciated!

momentsfromending's picture

Please let me preface this by admitting that some of what I'm about to say will sound harsh. I'm aware of that. But I feel that I can only get workable advice if I'm honest about what I feel. Like it or hate it, right or wrong, these are my honest feelings.

I have been dating "Miranda" for almost four years. She has a 7 year old son named "Richard" who happens to be autistic, though he is very high functioning. Richard exhibits many common traits of autism like arm flapping and making random sounds (loudly). But on the other side of that, he can communicate, knows how to read, and understands a lot of things. He's delayed, but not as bad off as many autistic kids. I came into the picture when Richard was 3 years old. He's used to me being around, and I will go so far as to say he likes me - as far an an autistic child can like anyone. Richard's father is non-existent and lives in another country; Richard has never even seen him and has no idea who he is. In fact, he's not aware that he "has" a father, and I'm not sure he's entirely familiar with the concept of a father. He knows there's a "mom" and "dad" because he sees it on TV, but I'm not convinced he knows what it means.

So what's the problem?

Try as I might, I'm having a very difficult time accepting Richard. I have a problem with noise, loud sounds in particular. I also have a problem with having my personal space invaded. This creates an issue because expecting an autistic child to be quiet is like expecting the wind not to blow. Richard also gets RIGHT in my face when he talks, to the extent that I can smell the stale breeze of candy and crackers on his breath (which nauseates me). Logically, I know this, but his voice (which is naturally high, sharp, and loud) literally enrages me. He asks the same things over and over and over and over (again, the result of his illness) and it drives me crazy. Miranda jumps to her child's defense 99% of the time and expects me to get therapy to deal with noise. I don't feel like I should be making the concession. I leave for work at 7am and have a 45 min commute each way. I usually do not get home until 7:30pm give or take, and then at 8pm I spend about a half hour with Richard in his room. I know he looks forward to that time, but truth be told, I feel forced doing it. I find myself looking at the clock every 5 minutes waiting for the half hour to be over. At the end of the day, I just want to come home to a quiet house and be left alone. Miranda's mother takes Richard every Friday night and drops him back off on Sunday afternoon so we get some peace every weekend. 9 times out of 10, Miranda and I get along fine when Richard isn't there. When he IS there, my patience is already gone, I'm anxious and nervous, and my heart and mind races. I have that "fight or flight" feeling constantly when he's in the room.

I've told Miranda how I feel but she can't/won't really do anything about the situation. I don't like being referred to as Richard's "father figure" and I kind of resent the obligations being forced on me. I'm expected to be okay with paying for another man's child - and I'm really not. I have no biological kids of my own - but I would like one to teach things, take on trips, etc. I just can't do that with Richard. He's not mine and I feel no closeness to him. If I'm going to put forth the effort to be a really good parent, it's going to be with my own child. Richard's behavior irritates me daily - some of it is not his fault, but some of it is. I feel like Miranda's decision to have a kid with a deadbeat is now affecting my life. I knew about Richard when the relationship started, of course, but I could never have prepared myself for what it would be like to live with him. So although Miranda says he was honest with me from the beginning, it's a very superficial honesty, because nothing she told me accurately described living with an autistic child - who will never be mine. I know Richard is part of Miranda too, but I can't help looking at him like a remnant from a relationship that should have never been. As he gets older, he's resembling his father, which makes me dislike him even more.

I don't know what to do. I'm at my rope's end. I know he's her kid and he'll always come first. I'm really not a bad person; I just can't live with constant irritation, noise, hyperactivity, and nonsensical obsessions. Maybe I'm just delaying the inevitable by staying, but after 4 years, there is some time invested here.

Thoughts are very much appreciated!

svillemomof4's picture

There has to be something about Richard that has kept you around for four years. You must care for him on some level or you wouldn't be in the relationship for that long. Autistic children can be very challenging but it is worth it, every kid is. I agree with doormatnomore, you need to seek professional help. Start with just you. Sit down with Miranda and explain in detail what you have told us. Tell her how much you love her and want to have a future together but that you need time to get yourself right. You are not going to get anywhere with your gf until you show her you are doing work on yourself. She is right, you need to get some therapy, it isn't the kids fault. You are blamming this child for things he really has no control over. You need to take some classes about being the parent of an autistic child too. Once you do all that then ask her to join you in therapy and you work on what drives you nuts with her. Then, after all that, if you still want to leave and you dread your time at home with him, then leave. By all means, do not stay. Richard will be dependant you for the rest of his life in some fashion. You need to think long and hard about this. Best to start now because disrupting this childs life is going to be hell on his mother.

oldone's picture

No you are not a bad person. Neither is your GF. But she is being unfair in asking you to be a parent to her child.

Forget the part about his being autistic. You probably wouldn't want to come home and be forced to spend alone time with a developmentally normal child either.

This is probably not the right relationship for either of you. You should be able to be honest with her that you are not there for parent duty. If she can accept that maybe you could go forward but it sounds like that might be a deal breaker for her.

You are not a bad person because you do not want to parent someone else's child. It's too bad he doesn't have a dad but that is not your responsibility.

as123's picture

I don't think you're a bad person. Though my situation is completely different, I understand exactly how you're feeling. It's incredibly difficult to be the step parent of a normally functioning child, let alone one who is autistic. Your resentment isn't unfair. It's hard being a father figure for a child when you don't have the same connection their birth parent does. That's something that I think a lot of birth parents don't understand. We can certainly care about the children, but at the end of the day they aren't ours. We didn't have anything to do with their birth. It's impossible to feel the same way about them that their parents do.

My advice for you is to really look at your situation. I know you've invested a lot of time in this relationship, and I'm sure that there are good aspects of it. “Miranda” will never be done taking care of Richard, so that' something that you will have to deal with for the rest of your life if you choose to continue with the relationship. If you honestly feel that you cannot deal with the situation, the best remedy is to leave it.

I somewhat agree with the previous commenter that counseling may help. It could certainly give you some insight to what Miranda's feelings about the situation are, and could possibly help you see each other's side. But I think, again, you should really look at the situation and, to quote Yoda, search your feelings. Therapy and counseling won't help if you simply cannot continue. And if you can't, that doesn't mean that you're a bad person. We only get one shot at life, and we far too often forget about our happiness so that we can make others happy.

Best of luck with whatever your decision is.

not2sureimsaneanymore's picture

I am really sorry you're in this position, but unfortunately, if his mother won't deal with it, you don't have much to go on. I would leave as well, or speak with his mother and look for ways where you don't have to be involved. Disengage, or so we would hope.

I'm curious as to whether it's really Autism though--as most autistic children I know (and those on the spectrum) have difficulty getting close to people--as in they have very wide personal spaces that they don't like to be crossed. The fact that he gets that close to you makes me wonder. Also, most don't like loud noises--they make repetitive noises but not loud, to my knowledge (took a few years in Autism and mental disability classes), because they have a lower sensory thresh hold.

In any case, I do not recommend you stay, you will be miserable. If you want to give it a shot, I'd go to couple's therapy. No one likes not having their feelings validated, as she is being defensive towards you. I think it is important, in any relationship, that if something makes you partner uncomfortable, you look for a solution and a compromise instead of sticking your head in the sand. Miranda does not seem to grasp that concept.

You are right, in that some things are his fault and some things aren't. Nonsensical hobbies are better than sitting in a corner, rocking, and freaking out every hour or so. I think your biggest issue right now, is that, and correct me if I'm wrong, Miranda is forcing you into a role you are not comfortable with, and the pressure causes the fight or flight feeling. I don't think you came up with the, spend thirty minutes with him in his room all by yourselves, on your own. Something tells me Miranda is looking for a "dad" for Richard, and you're the chump (sorry, but you got hooked) who was willing to try, but she was not willing to fork over the parent title (which includes working on his behavior, and improving n things you don't like) which means you will never truly be an equal parent to her.

I wish you the best of luck. Remember, time invested shouldn't turn into a lifetime wasted.

First, thank you all so much for replying without lambasting me. I am trying to look at this for what it is. True, all children are loud and can be irritating, but I wonder if it's my own low threshold for noise/irritation that is making this seem worse than it is. I see other people in the store with loud kids who climb all over everything and the parents don't even seem phased by it. Either they've become numb to it or they simply don't care. I try to imagine what my situation would be like if I could tune out a lot of the problem behaviors.

I want to note that I will be seeking out a therapist, if for no other reason than to understand where my lack of patience is coming from. Miranda is not a bad person, and she has done some things to minimize the stress of the situation. But ultimately, a lot of it is out of her control, even though no one else BUT her can do anything about it. So, it's very frustrating. I am not a person who immediately gives up, which should be evident by the four years I've spent in the relationship. The 30min "play" sessions are more to keep the routine that autistic kids seem to need. Still, it's becoming less and less tolerable for me.

I have tried to talk w/Miranda about it....and the response is usually the same or similar: "What do you want me to do? He's autistic. That's what they do."

not2sureimsaneanymore's picture

My professor (bless his soul as he passed away, but a leading researcher on Autism and behavioral modification) would want to smack her for that. They do not "get away" with things just because they have that syndrome. They can be given a longer adjustment period, or more time to improve, but the goal is TO IMPROVE. Not just say, that's how they are, that's how they always will be, there is nothing we can do.

To hear "That's what they do", he'd be spinning in his grave. The expectations you have should be set as goals, and trust, me, with enough work and ingenuity, it can be overcome.

Anyway, kudos to you for seeking out a therapist. After you go for your sessions, I would recommend you have counseling sessions with Miranda as well. Some things are better when you have a third, objective party.

StillLivingButDifficult's picture

Hi Moments- Oh, I sure hope that things have improved some by now... I really think that you might be better off only doing the half hr thing a few times wkly, rather than feeling forced every evening. I totally understand why you'd feel the need to relax after a long, hard day, and Miranda needs to also consider you as a human being. It's not all about her son. But it *is* also about her son and his needs and what is healthy for him, so definitely you need to provide as much routine as possible. Just not to the extent of you feeling resentful, as that will not do anything positive for your love relationship. (as you're both finding out)
Therapy or counseling is an excellent idea, but not just for you, for Miranda also. Sounds like neither one of you are bad people, but you are people, and people need to be as healthy as they can be in order to be happy. My hunch is that if you two really truly love one another that you'll find a way to compromise and give one another space and consideration as needed. I'd say that if you're feeling angry or resentful, then doing a 30minute session with your stepson wouldn't be a good idea at that time. He deserves to have a loving you, and it's only then that you'll be able to actually have 'quality time' with him. You also need time to unwind once in awhile... but the fact that your mil takes him all weekend is amazing! What a God send. Enjoy that time and allow it to recharge your energy for throughout the week when things are a little more challenging. But above all, remember why you and Miranda love one another, and don't let yourself believe that escaping is the answer. Just try to cut one another some slack... That's my advice.

derb8412 - YES, I HAVE read about Misophonia and I'm pretty sure I do have it. When we are watching television, if something explodes or if music comes on too loud, it makes me want to put a barrier between myself and the sound. Noise does make me angry, so you can imagine what the high-pitched screech of an autistic child, repetitively, can do! In fact, just last night we were watching one of those reality singing shows, and when the audience applauded, the volume went up. I jumped up and turned the TV way down, then asked Miranda "don't you HEAR that?" When people chew with their mouth open, and I can hear their lips smacking, it makes me want to break something ;). I don't understand how others aren't bothered by loud, unpleasant noises.

So again, yes I am familiar with Misophonia and I do plan on speaking with someone about it.

Orange County Ca's picture

The kid can't change to any degree. Mom isn't going to change as her kid comes first. So what's the options?

Face up to it and tell her you made a mistake in letting this go as long as it did but you can't spend the rest of your life like this. Admit to being selfish to defuse any argument and leave this all behind.

Nobody here will fault you for leaving as its not of your making.

You know, I've heard that term thrown around numerous times in my talks with Miranda - "selfish." I truly don't understand that. Why is it selfish? Why has being honest about what you can't tolerate mean you're selfish? Are people just supposed to shut up and live unhappily so they don't appear selfish? I'm of the belief that each of us has to look out for ourselves - because who else is going to do it? If I wasn't outspoken about my dislikes, and just suppressed everything, is someone else going to be observant enough to realize I'm unhappy, or better yet, make any attempt to do something about it? Probably not.

I think part of the problem is that I see other couples with children, and the kids seem so well behaved. I've seen kids out to dinner with their parents, and they just sit there and color in their own imaginative world. I've seen kids with manners say please and thank you. Maybe I'm expecting too much. I'm sure those kids can be a handful at times also. I don't know. When I think about having my own child, it all seems positive to me, like something I'd enjoy. I didn't grow up with my own dad, and my great-grandfather actually played a fatherly role for me (unbeknownst to him). He took me fishing, picked me up from school, etc. I would love to do that with my own child. When I think about doing those things with Richard, I feel nothing. There's just a hollow feeling.

Orange County Ca's picture

As I said "to defuse any argument". It's not to admit wrong its just to end the relationship is amicably as possible.

Listen you're right. If fact you're dead right. Dead being the operative word. You're never going to win this. You're butting your head against a wall. You're riding a bicycle facing a semi truck. You may have the right of way but the semi is going to win. You've got your ego stuck in overdrive.

Go ahead and don't admit anything. Just give it up and get out.

Zedman's picture

I'm with two twins, one possibly with ADHD, and even that seems challenging, so needless to say Autism is a greater challenge. Without saying too much I see that if you love Miranda enough you could decide to do your best, and then do your best. It's natural to not feel it's your son, it's natural not to entirely connect and to even feel it's a child you'll never connect with.

However, when you factor in your sound issues, and the time Richard needs or gets from you, these issues aren't going to change. More importantly, if Richard really has Autism, he may or may not end up with his mother for even longer than other children might, so be aware at the onset of that possibility.

Bottom line, if you're staying know why, what's important to you, and what you're trying to have the strength to persevere through, and try. It does sound like you're having some challenges, but that's natural. It's really whether or not you want to stick it out, and as others have pointed out, that fact sounds iffy.

With Miranda's support and understanding it might be a lot more worthwhile for you, and more possible. Without her support and understanding I'd say the odds get much worse.

I guess I'm kind of caught in the middle. There are times when I enjoy Miranda's company (again, this seems to be when Richard is not around). The problem is, when Richard is around, I get a fairly high level of anxiety. I'm on edge most of the time. As I said, I prefer calm surroundings. When he's home, even when he's asleep, I'm on edge. Why? Because he might wake up and then be up all night. I know it sounds like an irrational fear, but irrational or not, it's real to me. 90% of the time, when he's awake or around, there's unrest in my mind.

I find that I'm bothered by things that may be insignificant in the grand scheme of things. For example, during the week, I sleep in a little roll-out bed by myself and Richard sleeps in MY bed with Miranda. That actually really irritates me. He's 7 and gets a real bed (my bed) while I'm sleeping on a glorified prison cot. The reason we have this arrangement is because he used to sleep in the roll out bed (he has his OWN room and his OWN bed, which I bought, but he refuses to sleep in there) but he would routinely wake up in it during the night and then we'd all be awake. So, since he's been sleeping in the real bed, he hasn't really been waking up, which is a good thing. Still, it pisses me off that I'm working 50 hours a week, and doing a bunch on freelance work on the side just to pay the bills so Miranda and Richard can LIVE in the house, and I have to sleep on a roll out bed. Secondly, before I leave for work in the morning, I stop back in the bedroom and kiss Miranda goodbye for the day. If Richard happens to be awake, he wants me to kiss him too. It's not because he even knows why it's done, but he has to have it done for him because Miranda had it done for her. Some might think it's cute, but I'm bothered by it. Why? Because it's forced. Miranda wants me to do it and thinks nothing is wrong with it. But it's forced. I'm almost doing it through gritted teeth. This kid has irritated the living hell out me since I've been around him and I'm expected to act like I'm close to him?

If I'm being an ass, please tell me, because something inside me tells me I shouldn't be as effected by these things, but I am. I spent most of my life suppressing everything and I won't do that anymore. When I'm irritated by something, people know it.

Zedman's picture

momentsfromending, you're not being an ass. I'm sure we're not the only two here that go through things and feel they MAY be small in the grand scheme of things, yet DO really matter too.

I wouldn't kiss Richard, period. I'd tell Miranda that you kiss her because you love her and if it means you have to kiss two people to convey the message to one person, that you'll do it in private later. I think that's completely fair, and that it's completely fair for you to not want to kiss Richard in light of a) that you're not intending to kiss him in the first place, and b) that you're already trying your best to be patient and giving with Richard despite it causing you anxiety, really kissing is a bit over the top.

As doormathnomore says you could/will end up full of resentment. I say could, only because you have control over how you end up feeling. Let's say with this kiss situation as an example, you stop kissing one in order to not be forced to kiss both. Your choice, maybe not your first choice, but still saves you from gritting your teeth and faking it, which is where the resentment comes from. If Miranda doesn't get those kisses anymore and realizes you're doing it to a) not be forced and b) because you feel strongly enough about it and c) because you're choosing what's in your own interests, maybe she'll come around and realize that you have a point. If you bend to her wants, she has no way of realizing it truly matters to you or how much.

Anyways, pat yourself on the back for being a good guy, for putting in a consistent and committed effort, and I guess my suggestion is weigh it all out and make sure it's worth it. I know for me, without the strength of the relationship with my mate, the rest isn't worth much. However, WITH the right relationship and two people acting as a team that care about one another, that can make all the difference.

Don't let repressed feelings and resentment get going though (IMO) and also don't let things mount unspoken, that will take you down a road that makes things much more bitter and difficult. Be honest about how you feel and do what you need to make it as workable as you can.

WarmBody's picture

I don't believe you are a bad person nor she.

I don't think anyone is really being selfish.

I just think it's obvious that you are incompatible but trying very hard to be compatible and it isn't working. I don't want to see you miserable for the rest of your years because you were too stubborn to give up. Love isn't the only thing that matters. You can grow to love another who is more compatible. But you'll never become compatible with this woman and her child and they are a package. That's just how it is and you have to take it or leave it.

Iam Noone's picture

Just bolt already.

I don't think anybody here is at fault. Obviously, this kid will never change. His mother will always defend him and his behavior, innocent or not, will always get on your nerves as it would mine or anybody else's. I've worked with autistic people before and yeah... they annoy the hell out of everybody.

I think it's tragic, but you need to go.