You are here

4 year old step son hit me, Grandma plays with him

dmorgan's picture

:jawdrop:

So tonight my stepson, who is nearly 5 was being a little brat. Not eating any dinner, crying, and when we told him he'd go straight to bed he started knocking all the chairs over. Mum and Grandma (who came for dinner) sat there and watched, didn't say anything. I told him to pick up the chair, and he looked at me and walked away. So I yelled it. He picked up the chair but knocked over the other chair.

He then walked behind me and hit my back. Not just a tap, he hit me. I grabbed his wrist and slapped it in front of Grandma, which I've never done. He burst into tears and went running to her, and then she started playing with him and tickling him in the living room. I could hear him giggling, and my wife knew I was pissed because Grandma was making it like he didn't need to be punished, making me the bad guy.

Now Grandma is pissed that I'm mad at her for not thinking she wasn't helping the situation. I'm like, WTF! No wonder the kid does these things.

I'm sorry, but I don't let kids walk all over me. If they need to be disciplined, that's what you do. A slap on the hand won't kill him. The little shit needed to be put in line.

I'm majorly fuming over here and needed to vent.

dmorgan's picture

Oh yeah, and my wife called me a jerk for all of the above. What gives? If I didn't have a little baby I'd be gone.

Orange County Ca's picture

Never never never hit a step-kid. Studies routinely show that hitting teaches kids to be violent. Yeah I know you got spanked regularly and turned out just fine. (Or did you - you just kit a 5 year old) Just sayin....

Anyway hitting someone elses kid smackes with liability problems that you don't need.

Try this you'll find your home life a lot happier:

http://www.steptogether.org/disengaging.html

HarleyQuinn's picture

In all honesty I would have felt exactly the same! Its OP house, why should he have his SS treat him like that. If the mum and GM are going to sit there and do nothing then what is he meant to do. It is the most furiating thing to have a skid be allowed to be disrespectful to you whilst being watched by your SO! Slapping his wrist is not going to hurt him but will teach him that what he just done was wrong, shouting and screaming is not going to make any impact. My SD2 used to hit out all the time, nothing made her stop because everytime she didnt get her own way or whatever it was, first thing she would do was lash out. Last time she done it, she hit me in the face and scratched up my neck and chest in one of her tantrums and i slapped her wrist (i wanted to throw her out of the window tbh!). DH followed through with putting her in her room and then told her to apologise which she did willingly, and do you think she's done any BS like that again. NO! is she violent and horrible now, NO! becuase I love her and show her how to be nice but sometimes, you have to show them that you are not taking this crap.
I was not beaten as a kid