You are here

A little harder than I thought

Lemonygirl's picture

To start, I will say for 34 years I have run and operated a large upscale childcare facility. This will be important...

We have a new grandson, 6 hours from us, he is my ss and his wife's baby.

We get all the pics of this brand new infant and he is always sleeping on the floor, on his stomach, a huge no no, and surrounded by their two giant pit bulls.  They think it's so precious and I am jumping out of my skin trying not to say anything.  

He has a beautiful crib, safe and secure. I'm sure they had all the info about SIDS and back to sleep, and PIT BULLS. What gives?

fairyo's picture

How old is this baby? Parents have this thing called 'Tummy time' now, which develops neck strength and encourages brain development . However, this only applies to babies over three months, so if this really is new born then it could be a concern except...if the parents are taking photos then the baby has not been left on the floor without supervision, which is the real issue with leaving babies to sleep on their tummies in their cots.

The dog thing- yes it something which bothers me a lot, although I am sure you may get other responses saying it is perfectly ok.

I have seen photos of my stepgrandkids on social media, and I spoke to my DH about this- his repsonse was, 'they all do it'- because of his typical pretending it isn't happening Ostrich stance I no longer see their pics on social media. It releases me from seeing things I rather wouldn't.

My advice would be that I would speak to DH first and tell him of your concerns. I wouldn't get involved with SS or his wife directly.

Lemonygirl's picture

You are right,  the baby is 4 weeks old.  Everyone trusts their own pitbull, but I really thought the parenting instincts would kick in.  I've only ever seen him scooped up in a little ball sleeping on his tummy.

I'm out, I am not going to look anymore.  I am totally and completely disengaged from my Sd who also has a child and a baby daddy, I haven't spoken to or seen her in years.

still learning's picture

With all the recent events with pits I'd be very concerned about two of them (pack mentality) being around a helpless infant. An adult woman was recently mauled by her own two pits while on a walk.  I'm sure it's hard not to say anything to them but you can voice your concerns to DH. Perhaps share some of the recent news stories about pit bulls and maybe he'll speak to ss.  

Avert your eyes, not your monkeys or circus! 

StepUltimate's picture

... but check out the articles & videos at Leerberg.com. I have their DVD's including the excellent "Establishing Pack Structure With the Family Pet" and one other I loaned out (oops, probably not coming back to me so I may purchase another copy) on dominant dogs. 

Hard to know about little ones being in danger. I agree disengage, but man, stuff like this is hard to forget ir not care about. I looooove dogs & love babies & children, but not always safe together (no matter what breed dog).