You are here

Help! Is what I'm feeling right?

JLD2007's picture

I have been with my boyfriend for three years now. He has a 6 year old daughter. During this time, I have tried to do things with his daughter, try to get to know her, etc. And recently I'm just sooo annoyed by everything that she does! Even the little things. I honestly can say that I do not love her. I would like to but I just...can't. I love my boyfriend with a passion and to be brutally honest wish it was just the two of us. Am I the only one out there that feels this way????

Dee's picture

I know exactly how you feel. My BF also has a 6yo daughter and try as I might I cannot love her. Sometimes I don't even like her much. We have been together 2 years and I have struggled with this on and off the entire time. I love my BF dearly and wish wholeheartedly it was just the two of us. It's not that the SD is an awful kid. I have terrible resentment towards her, her BM and my BF because the SD is not his biological daughter, but the result of an adulterous affair by the BM during their marriage. My BF didn't discover this until the SD was 2-1/2, which ended the marriage, but he chose to continue being "daddy". You don't know how much I wish he had walked away, which he had every right to do with her not being his bio-kid.

Now we have to pay every day, and for many years to come, having to deal with a nutty BM. Especially now that she is considering filing for child support, which just blows my mind. And the CS is not to support the SD (who we have shared custody with) but to support the extravagant BM lifestyle. I have become enraged over this.

JLD, please feel free to write me privately if you need to express some of these emotions you're experiencing. You are not a monster and I know just how you feel. Sorry I can't offer any constructive advice other than to vent these feelings, which does seem to help.

Take care, Dee

Alexis G.'s picture

because I struggle with this EVERY TIME the SS is over here. I can't help it and for some reason I can't get rid of my resentment towards the SS. I've tried really hard- most times I just leave the two along when SS is over...it bugs me so much. And the guilt I feel over it makes me even more annoyed.

It's gotten so bad that I can't even sexually get "in the mood" when the SS is around. OMG- is my life going to be miserable and sex-less (every other weekend in the winter and every other week in the summer) for the rest of our lives?

The SS was over here this past week and now me and the Fiance aren't really speaking to one another right now and I'm pretty sure going without intimacy for the past 8 days isn't helping the situation.

This really sucks....

Alexis G.

TCPCAW4E's picture

I'm in the same boat, I'm new to this entire situation. I have 3 children and my FH has 2 but when his children come over every other weekend it's like ugh crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BM set's no boundries with the kids and let's them do whatever they want. I love him dealry but I really dont feel much for his kids and it makes me feel like shit cause he is always telling me he loves my kids like his own.

topnanay2010's picture

I thought I was alone! I am experiencing the same thing right now. Even the sexual part. My bf thinks Im heartless, impatient, and not understanding right now for feeling the way I do about his son. He's mad that I don't support him and he feels that Im always on him for his parenting style.

I'm wondering if there have been any successful stories and what was used to over come the schildren issues?

Therapy? rules?

It seems like such a hopeless experience until the children move out. And it breaks my heart that I may not marry this man because of it.

Stressed19's picture

It gets worse.... If he is not willing to talk and compromise... You get more resentful... I already devided NOT to mary my fiancee....  Too many issues and he doesn't want to compromise....... Kids getting older, but looks like they aint't going nowhere!

Anne 8102's picture

Falling in love with a man doesn't necessarily mean you're going to love his children. There's no switch you can flip. Romantic love doesn't automatically spill over into parental love if your partner has kids. When your situation is complicated by other factors, such as financially crippling CS payments or, a hateful child or a problem BM, then it's that much harder. It's hard sometimes to dredge up any real, tender emotion for the offspring of someone who is trying to ruin your life. It's hard to love a child who isn't affectionate, loving, accepting and lovable. You are not alone, you are not insane, you are not a villain... you are just one of us! (That was meant to make you feel BETTER, not worse, by the way!)

I love my three skids and I have since the first time I met them, but they were very loving and affectionate towards me and the BS with their mom didn't start right away. But there are times when I don't like them very much. There have been LOTS of times that I wish they didn't exist. I also have two bio kids - daughter is 4, son is 9 - and there are times that I don't like THEM very much, either! Smile Believe me, I am watching like a hawk for those companies who are selling tickets to the moon on a space shuttle, because I am SOOOOO getting one for my little girl. One way!

Everything you are feeling is natural. We've all felt that at one time or another. Sometimes it gets better, sometimes it doesn't and sometimes it can get a whole lot worse. How you feel about the child, to me, is a side issue. In a perfect world, we'd all get the right guy in the perfect set of circumstances, but in reality, most of us have to settle for the right (or almost right!) guy in not-so-perfect circumstances. Only you can decide if this is enough for you. If it's not, there's nothing to be ashamed of. It's not an easy life.

~ Anne ~

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice: Pull down your pants and slide on the ice! -M*A*S*H (Sidney Freedman to the OR staff on dealing with stress)

OldTimer's picture

I agree with you.

Sometimes it just takes time. Sometimes, you just need to disengage or take a vacation away from the drama from time to time. Or vent your freaking head off about every little thing to get it off your chest. LOL

But it is normal and natural. In fact, I know quite a few mothers who just don't like their kids and would like to send them to the moon too! LOL Wink

You are not alone.

Wink StepMom

Man has the intelligence to change his life,
Sometimes, he just fails to use it...

Hogger's picture

I love what you said Anne. I am holding back tears right now because it is exactly how I feel about my SS. He won't let me love him, I have tried but he is so loyal to his BM it's ridiculous. What you wrote, and everyone else here, has made me feel normal. I was feeling like a hideous person for not liking my SS. Thanks

JY's picture

I am new to this but, I understand how you feel JLD.
I have been in a relationship with my boyfriend for a year and 8 months. I have a daughter from a prior relationship. My boyfriend also has a daughter from a prior relationship.
In the beginning I enjoyed my boyfriend's daughter but, ever since his BM got him falsely arrested and called ACS(anonymously) against me and my boyfriend, I don't feel the same way around the child.
I am nice to the child but, they are times that I tell myself why did I even bother to tell my boyfriend not to give up on his child because, he is a great dad from what I can see.
You know what is even far worse is the fact that now my boyfriend want's to fight for full custody of the child. Honestly, I would prefer he wouldn't and part of me tries to convince him not to but, my boyfriend is adamant about his decision. It is sad but, I even pray at times that the court finds his reason's not valid enough to award him custody of the child and leave's the custody with the mother and him having visitation.
I tell my boyfriend to give his daughter more time to grow up and that hopefully his daughter will become so fed up with her mother's way that she will eventually start to express to the courts she wants to live with him but, my boyfriend refuses to wait because, he say's the longer he waits the longer his child will suffer educationally and emotionally.
So, while I may feel the way I do all I can do is hope that things stay the same but, if they don't I will keep everyone posted. Who know's if my boyfriend does get custody of his child I may have to use this website more frequently.
Jani

sixxnguns's picture

I always thought I was the only one that felt this way....I have a daughter who is 5 and my boyfriend has a 4 year old. I cannot stand his son, he has babied him to the point where he only eats Ramen noodles and pancakes and he cries everytime he doesn't get his own way. We are supposed to move in together in a couple months but I told him I will not cater to a picky eater and he is in the process of changing his sons eating habits. Every weekend his son is at my house he cries when I serve him something other than what he'll eat....we both have talked and are starting to go by the same rules and punishment system. I am so glad he is very understanding. And I have told him that his son really gets on my nerves with his crying an whining. I'm lucky to have such an understanding guy that can admit when changes need to be made...:) Sometimes you have to come out and tell them the way you feel whether they like it or not.

JLD2007's picture

Hello Sixxnguns:

Thank you for some insight into what you are going through. I thought I was the only one out there with feelings like this. I have communicated to some extent to my BF the feelings that I am having with his daughter. But I don't think that he fully understands. When I first got into this relationship, his daugter was pretty spoiled and I put an end to that very quickly however, it has not changed with the Grandparents. Every time that we go over to their house for dinner, once we leave I am pretty much at my witts end, feeling very pissed off and resentful towards the step child and sometimes my BF. I just honestly can say I don't love her and I do hope that changes.
Thank you for the help!
JLD

Alexis G.'s picture

Grandparent visits ARE THE WORST. My SS is an okay kid (picky eater and talks wayyyy too much) but when he's around his grandparents it sends me UP A WALL- LOL!!! I have had some of the most annoying moments at the Grandparents.

MOst times I can gently scold the SS and tell him to behave- you know, stop running, stop climbing, stop talking over the adults.... But this one time I told SS to stop crawling on the ground and the Grandmom was like, "No, he's okay..." ARRRRRGH!! That totally undermines my authority but what can I say??? It's not my kid. I'm getting heated just thinking about it now...

Alexis G.

sixxnguns's picture

I totally missed your post JLD, you're welcome. If you ever want to vent I'm always around! Smile

luv2teach's picture

My stepson was turning 6 when I met him and started dating my husband. The only difference is that I thought his son was really sweet, respectful, and just a good kid. I would not have married my husband if I thought that I couldn't live and accept his son, too. After all, he had full custody of him and lived with him full time. No every other weekend breaks. So let me give you a snapshot into your future. I have been married 10 years and each year has become more and more difficult being a stepmom. My SS and I hardly talk anymore and there is a lot of resentment and tension between me and my husband because of it. I'm not saying your future will be just like mine, but if she get's on your nerves now, just imagine what it will be like when she is 13, or worse 16! Can you hear, "you're not my mother!" echoing in your head? I advise open discussions with your boyfriend and possibly family counseling before you decide to live together or get married. I have always wished it was just the two of us also and let me tell you, 10 years later I feel the same way. Just ask yourself if you can live with those feelings for a long time?

Daddy1's picture

"So if you totally hate it, there is no shame in telling your BF, sorry honey, I love you to death but I can't stand your child and so I have to leave this relationship."

Is that even an option? To leave a relationship over a child?

I'm grappling with these issues myself. I have a 6-year-old stepdaughter and the thing is, she really has a great temperament towards me. I am just constantly, constanlty ANNOYED and on edge because of her. EVERYTHING SHE DOES PISSES ME OFF! I think I must just hate kids. She could really hate me, but she loves me and has a great temperament. But still, I don't like how loud she talks, I don't like when she sings, I don't like how she eats. I'm like a stodgy old man! Then I feel guilty, that this is a 6-year-old for crying out loud and I'm a mature adult. Then she rattles of 2 questions at me. Oh- what just pisses me off the most is she's into giving me kisses so she'll pucker up and go "MMMM MMMMM" which means I have to kneel down and have a kiss.

I feel like something is wrong with me. I'm not jealous of anything, of her relationship with her mom etc. I KNOW its not that- its just that she pisses me off for no good reason and I wish she were out of the picture but she never will be!

Does anyone else HATE their stepchild just because they're so GODDAMNED ANNOYING?

Daddy1

OldTimer's picture

There are ONLY two options that YOU chose...

1. either to stay with it, in all it's glory, regardless IF there is any change, and accept that there may be NO change,

or

2. Leave because it's not suited to you.

Only you can make those choses, and you have to look hard into yourself for the answers.

It is that simple...

Wink StepMom

Man has the intelligence to change his life,
Sometimes, he just fails to use it...

septembers_child's picture

To answer your question.."you betcha".

Myself and DH have been married for 7 years and together for 7 and a half.(His daughter,aka The Golden Child, was almost four when we got together and will be 11 in October.) She has ALWAYS gotten on my nerves. I will also add that she gets on both of my daughters nerves. My oldest, now 22, moved out of our house two months before her 18th birthday because she couldn't stand the Golden Child and just wanted to punch her in the face. My oldest, who is now a married mother of two, and a police officer for Seattle's finest, still can't stand The Golden Child. And admitted to me about a year ago that she still can't look at her because to even look at her pisses her off!

And yes, like you, just about anything and everything she does annoyes the crap out of me. The way she walks, the way she eats, her laziness, her constantly fingering things, her laugh, her loudness, her prima donna drama and just her voice in general. At times, just the mere fact that she is breathing the same air that I am annoyes me. (Not nice, I know but it's the truth and we don't get to regulate our feelings, just our actions.) This child isn't annoying because of her age it's her general personality that is annoying. She is so over dramatic about everything and over does everything..(She learned the soap opera approach to life from the crazy in laws.)

He has full custody of SD, BM is not in the picture at all. To top it off, DH is a soldier and is gone for long periods of time and guess who has the golden child 24/7/365??? Yep, yours truley. He was gone for a year in IRAQ in 2004-2005. And he just got orders last week for 15 to 18 months in iraq and is leaving in a few months. Yep, guess who is stuck with his "little dumpling" again?? Unfortunatley, their is no place else to send her. His family is totally out of the question sooo..Lucky me!!

I went to high school with The Golden Child's BM..And I can tell you this, BM is lucky that I couldn't read the future back in high school..Because if I had I would have drug her off behind the school and given her a hysterectomy with my number two pencil!! She spit out three "little dumplings" for other people to deal with and raise.

I put up with The Golden Child because she is an "necessary inconvience" if I want to remain married to her father. In her presence, I treat her with the respect that I would want and would expect anyone to treat my children with. (I come here to vent my true feelings about her.) But EVERYTHING I do for her I do for her father, not for her. End of story..

But I can tell you this..She will be 18 years old on Oct 13, 2013..Needless to say, 13 is my lucky number!!! She is getting luggage and a plane ticket from me on her 18th birthday!!

Alexis G.'s picture

Maybe not hate but a strong dislike. My SS is soooo annoying!!!

Alexis G.

Cre1478's picture

Daddy1, I can totally relate. And I feel just awful about it. I say the same thing as you do. And contstantly say to myself "what the hell is wrong with you, they are just kids and you're a mature adult!" It's frustrating, and everything they do annoys me. My 2 SS's are 7 and 9. And their BM passed away when they were 1 and 2. So.....this adds even more to the guilt! But try as I may, I just can not stand them sometimes! The eating, the loud talking, the nonsensical banter between the two of them, the questions, having to answer them which leads to more annoying questions, the fact that they can't concentrate on anything, telling them the same frigging thing every day. They don't retain anything, they have bad manners (not saying hello when they walk into a room, not saying thank you when given a gift)Basically poor social skills. One of them is addicted to nintendo DS and it drives me up the wall. It's the only thing he's into. And I blame DH for some of this. He doesn't get them involved in any sports, clubs, etc., doesn't address the poor manners effectively, and is in denial that the kids are not "normal". They have issues due to their mom's passing and being raised by him and my insane MIL and SIL. So the resentment really runs deep and Im at a loss for how to deal with it. I just keep telling myself that it's okay not to like them but I do have to accept and respect them. One day at a time is the only thing that somewhat works, but still...when I hear them coming in from school I just want to run and hide. I can't get past the fact that they are soooo annoying and everything they do irritates me! Oh, and one other thing. I have a son of my own who is 3 and he just means the world to me. I get angry with him sometimes and "can't stand" him but it's totally different. I have unconditional, endless love for him and don't want my SS's annoying nature rubbing off on my own son. So I really hit the roof when I hear them bossing him around, or fighting with him, or..God forbid...teasing him. It's crazy! So no, you absolutely are not alone in this.

Dee's picture

I love my BF so much; he truly is my soulmate. BUT I do not love his 6yo daughter. I guess I would say I tolerate her. She can be very sweet at times, but more often than not, she acts like a selfish, spoiled brat. I continue to try to be a good step-parent to her, do things for her and then she pulls one of her many bratty, whiny fits. It's never enough for her.

My BF wants to marry, but I am hesitant. I have no doubts about OUR relationship, but the fact that the SD and the psycho BM will play a significant part in our lives for the next 12 years, minimum, is very scary to me. I just don't know if my feelings towards SD are going to get better or even possibly worse as she gets older and even brattier. She rules the roost at her BM's house all week long and then we get the pleasure of her bossy, selfish behavior on the weekends.

I am possibly in denial over what effect this is going to have on my and BF's relationship. I want so desperately to spend the rest of my life with this man. I just keep putting off the commitment of marriage hoping things will take a turn for the better. *fingers crossed*

chm75's picture

I think I could have written every word that you wrote myself. Is there something about the age 6? I read that 6 year olds tend to be bossy and annoying. I am putting off taking my relationship to the next level because of the bratty 6 year old. I also get sick when I picture her at my wedding. I can't stand the sounds that she makes when she breathes and especially when she chews. Either she was nicer at 4 & 5, or I am just getting more and more sick of her. I think that it is UNHEALTHY for children to be raised by people that are not their bio-parents. I have been avoiding my boyfriend's child like the plague. He either has her 2 days or 4 days a week depending on what week it is. The only solution I can think of is to stay away from her. Do you think that this will work for 12 years?

Lol..It can work for 12 years as long as you two just continue dating and don't move in together or get married!

One of my dear friends (smart lady if you ask me) made this arragement with her boy friend about 6 years ago. Loved him to peices, couldn't stand his kid and didn't want to make adjustments to the way she ran her home,raised her kids, and didn't want to raise anyone elses...Soooo..they have just been BF/GF all this time.

They both worked out their visitation schedules with their exs so that they are at the same time for both their sets of kids. So both his and her kids are with their other parents every wednesday night, every other weekend, rotating holidays and six weeks in the summer time).

They both have their own homes, own lives, ect But during the nights and times their kids are with their other parents they "sleep over" and "stay" at one anothers homes. They do not interact with one anothers kids or one anothers ex's at all. In fact, their kids have only met one another once when my friend and her kids bumped into her boyfriend and his kids at the mall!! LOL.. It's an arrangement that works well for both of them and they have had a wonderful relationship the past six years.

Stressed19's picture

I wish I would have seen this site before!!! Moving in together was the worst decision that I made!

Anonymous's picture

Of course thats normal, ok maybe the norm, lol!

The reality is when we fall in love or marry you don't have to love their family, the motherinlaw, children ect. Don't get me wrong, its nice if everyone get along....but thats few and far between in most cases. Things could change with this child and maybe in the future there will be a better relationship, but for now all you have to do is try and get along and cope. Every relationship has compromises so this may be the big one for you. You may need to get a babysitter and spend time with bf to get a break, or if shes a difficult child enroll her in a sport on the weekends she visits. Maybe you can just make some careful planning which will be better for all when shes there.

LastStraw's picture

everyone for the "normal" discussion. I find it a relief to see so many who feel as i do. I have now been living with a woman for two years. She has a just turned 12 year old. He's not 6 but from how he acts you'd often think he was. From what i can tell they don't get less annoying. I find this kid to be terribly annoying and he just turned 12 and it's like some switch went off to go into hyper-annoying mode. In france they call age 12 the "stupid age" - he's been in that stupid acting mode for some time now and now he's aged a little and managed to make it worse with a little bit of 12 year old increased assertiveness and obnoxiousness.

The thing is when i started the relationship with this woman i didn't really really know what i was getting into. From what i can see you'll never be two - you'll always be three. At least for a very very long time. In our case as a threesome i find us to be terribly disfunctional. Unfortunately i love the woman and would feel terrible about leaving her. We are getting to the end of our wits now though. I am angry all the time and just can't seem to stand to be around the kid anymore. My poor GF is torn between the two and understandably has difficulty with my anger. I guess we'll go to counseling - if that doesn't help i don't think we'll last.

Unfortunately also in my case my GF (girlfriend?) spoils her kid but i can't just straighten it out because she often doesn't agree with me on those things. She doesn't have the same philosophy as i do, she doesn't have the same limits - such as what are appropriate table manners. What chores they should do, how well they should obey. You name it, when it comes to parenting we don't see eye to eye.

Anyway i don't know what normal is but it seems it is really common and definitely my case.

Well i'm using your blog to do my own venting. But as to your question as to leaving, i think you only have two choices. One is to leave and the other is to work on the relationship with the girl. She aint going away, she's not going to get much easier until 18 or so (if you're lucky even then), and it'll never be just you and your guy. It's going to always be the three of you.

I'm just adding random thoughts now. The thing i see lacking between me and the child is we have nothing positive between us. Unfortunately i don't see any way of establishing that. If you have any idea of how to do that - sharing some activities together or somehting like that, then maybe you could develop something positive. That might make the rest go better. Any ideas anyone?

Good luck.

stamina's picture

Children will be a part of your life, not until they are 18, but in some way, shape or form...forever! Learning to cope with this reality is key to survival of the relationship and your own sanity! I can guarantee you as well that, although you may think that you know best how to raise her child, you do not. Your ideas, as much as you think they are and as much as they may be valid, are no more objective than hers are as a biological parent. Counselling is a great idea...this will help you both to have some idea of your relationship and how everything else fits in...or doesn't! One thing is for certain...your attitude towards the child has to change or your relationship will not survive. And to be honest, there probably isn't a step family relationship in the world that isn't going to take a lot of work and compromise on both sides. So think long and hard...if this relationship is worth the effort, then work at it. It isn't about who is right and who is wrong or how obnoxious the kid is...it is about learning to find a way to deal together with everything that is going on. Truth is, 12 year olds can be obnoxious (as can adults!) and it doesn't get a whole lot better until early adulthood for some kids.

LastStraw's picture

with you that i don't know better how to raise her child than she. And most everything you had to say there. In fact in general she is much better than i could ever be. For one, she loves the kid and they mostly have a very positive relationship. Also i am kind of off to the side in the deal. That perspective changes everything. When you are the one really dealing face to face with the child for everything, it changes your perspective and your decisions.

At the same time my gf has certain weaknesses and some of my ideas/attitudes are good and would really help. And gf agrees and we are gradually making changes for the good. Even the kid often agrees. Trouble is there is resistance nonetheless. And sometimes she doesn't agree - or at least she reacts i think in general, negatively exagerating my intentions. Kind of like in politics - a democrat proposes something and the repubs react emotionally and think it's the end of the world and vice versa.

The other problem is gf and i having such different limits. Even that i think could be worked out though.

The real root problem in my opinion is the lack of something positive between the boy and i. Everything else would go a million times better if that were different. I wouldn't be so annoyed all the time with all his annoying kid stuff, he'd accept me better, so on.

But i'm kind of stuck there. I feel it's an emotional/psychological thing and something where, at the best, i am not very good at. Gf's bro-in-law, for example, is just wonderful with the kid. I am sure if i had this warmth and love that he has then the rest could get worked out.

So what to do? How to love a kid you don't love? Being a guy i always think shared activities - perhaps i could make more of an effort here but so far it seems that there is not much to work with and my efforts up to now have been rejected or just not worked. I could always push a little harder perhaps. I'd like to help him with his homework, at least certain subjects. English (!!), french and italian and math. But he for whatever reason has rejected this. I haven't pushed very hard. The mother tends to be very impatient when it comes to this sort of thing. I think that's one thing where i could do better than her. But he prefers her because he feels loved by her i would assume.

Maybe the answer to much of this is to try harder and put more energy into it. It's easier to cook a meal myself than to have him help - both due to overcoming his resistance and getting past his lack of know-how. Also it's easier to just let him do his homework on his own - there mainly due to his resistance. Takes a lot of energy to overcome all these things. And being the SDad, it doesn't come naturally.

I also like your final comment about adults being obnoxious as well. Kids have their kid-like ways of obnoxiousness, but imagine if i pulled some adult out of the air and had to share our small apartment with gf and he - well, would that be better? In some cases yes, but in many it would be worse. Ha! And imagine our vacations in our miniscule (and i mean miniscule) little camper! Oof!

No, i know, not until they're 18 - they often stay long after. I think this is a trap to think this way. I guess some kids especially in the u.s. just head off to college at that time and never really need much help again. But counting on things working out like that is a bit much. And this kid was surprised (with his dad living with his (the dad's) mother), at the age of almost-12, that he'd one day be living on his own. Ha! I remember being so surprised that at his age it hadn't dawned on him yet. Definitely put the fear of god into me!

Anyway thanks for your comments.

Anonymous's picture

Good God, we've totally lost perspective! You're supposed to have to "cope" with death, with loss, with disease - not to have to "cope" to get along with your SO's former life! If they're that bad, don't get involved - I wish I hadn't married into this bulls&*t!

StepGF's picture

Sometimes I wonder myself if things will ever get better. My BF has a 5 year old daughter and we've been dating for about 2 years. We moved in together about 8 months ago and I just recently moved out because of the dynamic within our household. At this point, I am having major problems being around his daughter. I feel like everytime I'm around her I get SO ANNOYED - things that normally wouldn't annoy me. But I feel like I have become hyper-sensative to everything. The littlest thing will bug me and then it's over from there. There is so much tension. I don't want to be annoyed - there are times that the three of us have a great time together, but she can be so sassy and bratty. I don't know how to handle it or what to say. It seems as though I always say the wrong things and then BF gets upset with me. I just want it to be harmonious and relaxed! I feel like we're siblings fighting for "daddy's" attention. She acts completely different when I'm there (not in a positive way) as opposed to if its just her and her dad. I think she feels safe and secure when it's just the two of them, but when I'm thrown in the mix, she feels threatened. I don't know what to do; I just NEED things to change. It's strange because I know that she likes me - she always wants me around, hangs on me (is constantly in my personal space), always says she loves me, is always seeking my attention. But at the same time, I feel like it's negative attention. So, what I'm trying to say is that I completely understand how you feel. And from the sounds this blog, 6 isn't any better than 5. I just keep thinking that it will get better as she gets older and starts to understand that I'm not trying to take her daddy away from her. Who knows?!

LastStraw's picture

in a way you are taking her daddy from her and she doesn't like it. You are at least getting in between her daddy and her. This is natural and good for the kid. If nothing else you are at least serving that purpose in the child's development. The same thing goes on with bioligical parents. Early on the dad gets between the child and the mother. Later the same-sex parent gets between the child and opposite-sex parent. The kid doesn't like it but i think it's an important part of their development. If things go well they get over it.

If not they wind up being jealous of a step-kid later on in their lives? No offense. I'm speaking for myself here and just trying to work things out.

Not like i know what the hell i'm talking about. But there you go.

But i think you, like myself, have to look at ouselves and figure out why we are so annoyed with the kid. And then, like i keep repeating on here for myself, if you could develop positive feelings for her, then the rest would go better. My problem is that i am fairly clueless about how to go about improving that.

good luck

Lauren973's picture

This thread has me mortified. I'm not married yet, been in stbh and his daughters life for 3 years and she's only 4 1/2. BM is a TRAINWRECK. I mean the first few months were like nirvana, and then SHE found out he was dating again - then BAM, I am transported as if in nightmare to the set of Jerry F*ing Springer.
I LOVE his daughter. In fact I NEVER saw myself mothering until I met her. HOWEVER...
Every time she comes to visit she looks more and more like a mini BM. She has begun to adopt her mothers mannerisms, bad grammar, verbal and facial expressions. What first seemed like independence turned to impertinence and now plain rudeness. She invokes this behavior even more when she misses her mother and it seems to me she does it sometimes just to irritate me. She walks in the door and it is as though she is channeling her mother.
Could it REALLY get WORSE? I mean the challenges of the next few years were frightening enough - but when I think about 14 years.....
I am going to faint.
I hope that the love continues to grow too. I do not want to live without STBH.

Learning the Ropes's picture

Stbh is from another area of the country, with a distinct accent. So is BM, and every time I hear my stbSD talk, it's like someone let her mother into our home! It's not just the accent, but the whiny, complaining way of talking, which she has learned. It not only annoys me, but her father, as well! She is a sweet child, and I'm trying to love her, but some of her learned behaviors that mirror BM drive me crazy! I too, have wondered if I really want to sign on for this at times, but try to remember it's the BM I can't stand, not my stbSD, who is only acting like she does due to lack of guidance or positive influences. So, for now, I'm trying to be a positive influence, and guide her as much as possible. But, honestly, there are times when I just have to go for a walk to calm my nerves!

Greenfig's picture

"She has begun to adopt her mothers mannerisms, bad grammar, verbal and facial expressions. What first seemed like independence turned to impertinence and now plain rudeness. She invokes this behavior even more when she misses her mother and it seems to me she does it sometimes just to irritate me. She walks in the door and it is as though she is channeling her mother."

Wow, this is happening to the SD too. God, it's just hard not to look at her and be irritated. The more anxious she is (usually returning from being more than 3 days with BM) the more she will do these fakey mannerisms that are not normal for a child. She will use words that she has no idea what they mean and they are STRAIGHT from the mouth of the BM. She also makes caddy comments that she does not know the meaning of and gross generalizations that she does not understand. She also likes to tap her fingers when she is waiting for dinner to be done. She makes the same "i smell shit" kind of distasteful, belittling look as her BM.

She also apes all the things the BM likes, she says she loved certain movies that she has not even seen and such.
I just want to be like "how do YOU feel, what do YOU like" not what BM tells her to.

evilsm's picture

I wish I felt different...I really do, I was thinking I was the only one that felt this way and have terribe guilt aroud it. I am soooo glad I found this site. When I met DH, SD was 5 and we only had contact with her every other weekend because of BM but after we married the tables turned and we got full custody of now 11year old SD for aprox 2.5 years off and on due to BM health issues. We have only been married for 3 years. Now we are one week on and one week off but I dread our week. Before we had custody I could handle every other weekend and looked forward to it most times because DH would want to do things with SD and my kids BUT once we had her full time it went to hell in a handbasket but quick! We have no real relationship its just a show for DH from both of us. She is very spoiled...DH also parents from guilt and it just gets worse and worse. I always have hopes that it will get better but I just get more and more annoyed. AARRRGGG...JLD & Laststraw let me know if you figure anything out!

sixxnguns's picture

I wish I felt differently too, and I too feel guilty about how I feel, especially since I'm a mom myself. I guess I could deal with it if his kid wasn't around ALL the time. His mom never takes him her 50% of the time so he's always around. So there is no crying and whining, or anyone acting like a 6 month old baby. SO's son has been babied and WAY overprotected since he was born so the kid pretty much acts like a baby, and i don't know how to fix it!! He's not my kid so it's not my problem but if I have to live with him I want things to change...and nothing has changed as of yet, although we have gotten his eating habits changed.

evilsm's picture

trouble sometimes being in the same room with SD.....With all the babying, excused misbehavior, guilt and feeling sorry for SD by DH there is no room left... It is overwhelming sometimes, I feel like someone is sitting on my chest and I can't breathe!!! Why do I feel this way? Why does it bother me so much, its not my child.

Frustrated and PMS sorry!

sixxnguns's picture

cause i feel just like you. I sit and try and figure out WHY I feel this way. Believe me, I know how you feel cause I feel the same way! I just want to get over it and don't know how! I guess if my boyfriend changed his ways and quit treating his 4 year old like he's still a baby he would quit doing certain things...I hope we all can find a way to tolerate these kids that drive us nuts!! Wink

evilsm's picture

for me is that my children are older (18 & 16) and are working and going to school and socializing so they are never home. On the weeks that SD is with BM there is no drama, no fights, no whining and I don't have to make any special concessions. Its seems to me that everything changes on the Friday's that SD comes for the week (today) and my home life is totally different until next Friday. "sigh" I too really want to just get over this but how in the hell do I do it? I put in another post that my SD11 calls DH "dada" like a baby. Its pretty telling I say.

sixxnguns's picture

I want to get over it too....Like I'm stuck with him this weekend and just can't tolerate him so I'm to the point where I just try and avoid him. I feel mean and selfish feeling this way and the guilt I feel makes me sick, but I don't know how to make it go away. I know this relationship will never work as long as I feel this way.

over babied, codded, spoiled, catered, rude, snotty, bratty, over compensated, cow towed too..People doing things for them that they should be doing for themselves..Picky eater..You both just discribed my step daughter to a tee when DH and I got together..

That is exactly how DH and his family treated the Golden Child. It was soo bad that she couldn't feed herself at four years old because, (and I am not kidding) they still sat her in a high chair and spoon fed her!! She didn't sleep in her own bed and couldn't go to sleep on her own because they all still bundeled her up in a blanket and rocked her and patted her butt until she fell asleep like you would do with an infant!! When she did fall asleep, every time the adult would put her to bed and try to walk away she would wake up and start whinning. So the adult would go to bed too..This four year old determined the bed time of the adults in the house!! I could tell many more stories that would disgust and nausate the most patient and accepting of step parents!!

She was such a picky eater that the only thigs she would eat are Chick noodle soup, grilled cheese sandwiches, anything with sugar, and pizza. She would whine if they sat anything else in front of her so that was all they served her. And heaven forbid the Golden Child should cry!! The world would just come to a screeching halt.

I swear DH and his family acted like she had some illness that would kill her if she cried or had a fit!! Because if it even looked like she was gonna pucker up the entire family would fall all over themselves rushing to accomodate her! It was ridiculous and nauseating.. She didn't "talk" she whined every time she opened her mouth with this whiny look on her face. She ran these adults, made her rules and their rules, and ran their households with the mere threat of "crying"!

Then along came the wicked step mother..LOL..I honestly believe that I am the first person who ever told her "NO"! When she wanted me to get her something or do something for her.. I would just tell her, "I can't hear you when your whinning." And I would ignore her until she asked me with out whinning..And I would be dambed if I was gonna spoon feed her, rock her and pat her butt like an infant, and let her determine my bed time!!

Boy did all of the above piss my in laws off!! I actually had the audacity to tell "their GOD" NO, wouldn't cater to her when she whined at me,wouldn't treat her like an infant, and would not let her run my home and determine the dinner menu or my bed time!!..LOL..

Treat them with respect but make it clear that respect is expected in return and make it clear from the get go that they will not run you or your home.

Cruella's picture

You are right on the money!!! Soooo true!

sixxnguns's picture

Are you sure you're not living my life? HAHA...I sure feel like the wicked step mother sometimes. "Golden Child" is such a good term for these kinds of kids. The grandparents and auntie think this kid can do no wrong and everything is about SS....it's like the world revolves around him. I mean when I first met my BF the kid was almost 4 and still using a pacifier...yes he's over-babied and it drives me insane...he cries about EVERYTHING!

LastStraw's picture

bit of a joke for me to give advice. But you did ask, sort of.

I haven't really figured anything out but you say there is no relationship and that she is spoiled. Myself i have tried just being to the side and not bothering with the fact the child is spoiled. I have also tried doing something about it. I vote for doing something. In a way it makes you the bad guy, but i kind of had nothing to lose, as it sounds you don't either. So you could start to develop a relationship by working on the spoiled behavior. Although it will produce conflict they will probably both realise and appreciate your efforts in the end - she might be a little to young to consciously realise you're right, but i think she'll "know" it anyway. Obviously you have to work on the dad as well. Hopefully he is someone who will listen.

And doing that will show you care and will at least form some sort of relationship with the girl.

After that where do we find the loving or at least liking relationship? Let me know if you figure anything out.

evilsm's picture

about working on the spoiled behavior. I don't think I could stay sane if I didn't. In fact, I took the cell phone away for two weeks on Wednesday because SD11 tried to sneak pajamas to school after I told her she could not wear them. DH was suprisingly supportive and agreed that we need to get a handle on this sneaky behavior. I almost fell over, :O I really thought he would be upset with me because of the inconvenience of taking the phone away from SD, especially for 2 weeks! In all fairness I had been warning SD for some time that this would happen is she continued to ignore me and DH when we tell her not to do something. I have explained to DH and SD that If I didn't care about her I would allow her to do anything she wanted. With BM being ill and unable to fully parent I think it is my responsibilty to step up to the plate and help raise this child, even if it means I am evil. Am I Right? I have tried to ignore, to allow DH to parent without me interfearing but I just can't seem to do that, some weeks are better than others. Good luck laststaw, your SO sounds reasonable to deal with, perhaps she will realize that your efforts are in the best interest of the child. Does SS visit with BF ever? I find having the one week on and one week off really gives me time to chill out between visits and DH and I have time to reconnect.

LastStraw's picture

Yeah i think you need to step up to the plate no matter what. You are there and you are an adult. And you see it worked. That has mostly been my experience - i resist getting involved for i am sure similar reasons to yours, but in the end i can't take it. Early on i tried to stay out of things. It just doesn't work. And eventually when i do take action, it generally does work out - at least eventually - bumpy sometimes. The other thing is that if i wait long enough to be really frustrated by something it goes worse when i finally do speak up because by then i am angry.

So what is an SO? I am really dense with these things. Also you ask if SS ever stays with BF. I thought i was BF (boyfriend) of GF (my girlfriend) who is a BM (bio mother). Oh yeah - BF is also biological father. Yeah he used to stay with him every other weekend and every tuesday night (younger french kids don't have school on wednesdays), but now it's just the every other weekend - that is another complaint i have - he picks the kid up late saturday morning and brings him back fairly early sunday evening. I'd really prefer he take the kid after school friday or sometime friday evening. That way we could have a real weekend. This is another thing that if i would push i could probably get. So far i have been the nice guy.

But yeah i could deal with it all way better with one week on one week off - or if the dad had the kid every weekend. That aint gonna happen though. The mother thinks the alternating weeks thing is too hard on the kids and although i have no way of knowing for sure, i agree with her - that does seem like it would be pretty difficult. Especially if there is a big difference in environments in the two homes. Also no way they'll do every weekend with BF because neither the mother nor father would be in agreement with that. The dad likes his freedom and the mom wants some weekends with her kid. Also the mom would not want the kid to be with the dad so much because although he's a nice guy he is just not a responsible person or a good role model or a very good influence on the kid. I wouldn't say he's terrible either, but ...

Anyway my GF is reasonable but we have some big differences of opinion. To me that is not the biggest problem. Like i say i think what is really troublesome is the lack of a positive relationship between me and the kid. And that i can't really blame on anyone much. That is probably my problem for the most part. Plus the thing of being so annoyed with him. A lot of people on here complain about that. Apparently it is really common. I'm guessing that when you really love the kid that stuff bothers you less or you just don't even find it annoying most of the time.

So what is really the deal with those of us who are so annoyed. Examining my own feelings it just seems like i don't want the kid around. Plain and simple. So thing is i think i have to form a good positive relationship with this guy or i should probably move on.

You have your own bio-kids don't you? What's the difference? Do you have any ideas for improving your feelings/relationship toward the step-kids? What do you think?

evilsm's picture

I do have bkids (2) living with us. They are older 18 & 17 and are very busy with their own lives not under foot much. I also get very, very annoyed with SD and have very little in common with her. BM is very materialistic and this has rubbed off on SD, not to mention the spoiled part. I think that is where most of my annoyance comes from and the fact that any negative comments from me about SD are highly criticized even if they are for her own good. I guess in some respect I am jealous, we have only been married for 3 years and when we first were married SD was with BM 80% of the time, I miss having that free time, especially since my kids are older and don't require that level of attention. I guess I have the same question you do, how do I get past my feelings to try to forge a real relationship with this child? I have no damn clue. Sorry. I don't ever want to leave my husband but sometimes am so frustrated by the whole thing that I contemplate life on my own again. I keep hoping things will get better and some hole in the universe will open up and guide me through this thing...hasn't happened yet, but I do keep hoping. If you love your SO, keep trying. You will feel better about yourself and will probably help this child more than you know. At least that is what I tell myself. Oh and SO is significant other.

LastStraw's picture

that's about it, isn't it? I'm not sure it's exactly jealousy but there's an unwelcome intruder in the house. Of course in my case i am the one who intruded. Still, ... doesn't change the way i feel. Time will tell i guess. Yeah, I'd also like for there to be some big moment where it becomes clear that all is well or that it'll never work out. Instead it is more of a long trail of kind-of working out, kind-of not. Times where things are great and others that are pretty bad.

I just got the SO thing right before you said it. I guess it was more obvious in that sentence.

well, good luck

tyra's picture

The whole step parent/blended family thing is so hard. The ex's can make our lives a living hell. Truthfully, I don'think I could have married my DH if I never had a good relationship with my SD or he would have married me if it wasn't good. I guess I was lucky..BM had an affair when SD was only 1 1/2 and i met her when she was just 2 1/2 so this way of life is all she knows. She believes I have been apart of her life since she was born.

But for the hell we go through and it doesn't seem to get any easier why would we want to take on Skids we don't love and ex-wives who turn our worlds upside down. I know there have been times I have thought get out..get out now but then I think of our Biokids and my SD and to put them through a divorce because of some exbimbo forget she'll never get the satisfaction from me.

My advice would be think long and hard it is a lifetime committment. One day they could decide to live with you full time and I know my Dh would accept that with open arms.

TinaKay's picture

you don't have to love her but you do need to treat her with respect and fairness, due to her age you may grow to love her.
try to limit your time with her, you may be trying too hard....

pandalove984's picture

I am so happy to see that there are others like me and I am not a completely evil person! I have been with my H for 6 years now and he has 2 teenage kids from a previous relationship. I'm sure the teenage part comes into play as well, but I am happy they are not younger on the other hand. I dread the weekends they come over and do everything I can to make other plans for myself. He has only 5 more years of child support so I am hoping that they see each other outside our house after that at least. I hate that I feel this way but I cannot help it. I so wish it was just the 2 of us... Sad

pandalove984's picture

I am so happy to see that there are others like me and I am not a completely evil person! I have been with my H for 6 years now and he has 2 teenage kids from a previous relationship. I'm sure the teenage part comes into play as well, but I am happy they are not younger on the other hand. I dread the weekends they come over and do everything I can to make other plans for myself. He has only 5 more years of child support so I am hoping that they see each other outside our house after that at least. I hate that I feel this way but I cannot help it. I so wish it was just the 2 of us... Sad

Greenfig's picture

Cre1478 said

"The eating, the loud talking, the nonsensical banter between the two of them, the questions, having to answer them which leads to more annoying questions, the fact that they can't concentrate on anything, telling them the same frigging thing every day. They don't retain anything, they have bad manners (not saying hello when they walk into a room, not saying thank you when given a gift)Basically poor social skills. One of them is addicted to nintendo DS and it drives me up the wall. It's the only thing he's into. And I blame DH for some of this. He doesn't get them involved in any sports, clubs, etc., doesn't address the poor manners effectively, and is in denial that the kids are not "normal".

OMG. Ditto at our house! WOW! My bf thinks his daughter is perfectly adorable and plays well with others. He even tells that to people! When the teacher tries to bring up problems about her, my bf get uber-defensive and blaims the teacher. He lives in denial!

She is not socialized properly. Just shuttles between households and video games and tv babysits her. She has 0 attention span, she whines and baby talks, she uses sarcastic, condescending words (she does not even know the meaning of them) and makes faces exactly like her mother. She does not play with other kids well at all. She bosses them around and she is miss know it all, so kids pull away from her, then she cries.

I find myself being annoyed by lots of things she does, because most of her motivation comes from showing me that my BF loves her more and she clings. She views me with hostility for most part. There are times that she is nice and gives me an occasional hug, but it's so inconsistent. Most of the time I just catch her glaring at me from the corner of my eye.

I have been coming in terms with feeling this way with the help of my therapist. I am allowing myself to have these feelings. It would be such a lie if I tried to deny them.

It's good to hear all of you, that you experience these feelings too...that you struggle with them too! I used to get angry with myself feeling this way thinking "how can I hate an innocent child so strongly and how I should be more adult about it" But it is how I am. feeling.

jojo68's picture

I think we all base who we like and who we don't like based on how they act and how they treat us. When we are treated well and respected we tend to like these people and we want to do for them. It is really hard to love someone who doesn't love you back...it is hard to treat someone respectfully who doesn't give you an ounce of consideration. So don't feel bad. When a child is not yours biologically...unconditional love is real hard.

Soon-to-be-Step-Mommy's picture

I have been with my BF almost 4 1/2 years and he has a 7 year old daughter. I have tried to bond with her for years now and we just haven't clicked for whatever reason. She has shied away from me and isn't affectionate with me at all after years of trying to hug her hello or kiss her goodnight. I am often annoyed by the awkward situations. I feel like the third wheel, and left out alot of the time. It is very frustrating and I fear it will only get worse as she gets older Sad To top things off, my BF babies her and caters to her every demand. Each night he has her (about 4-5 nights a week) he does something special with her. Tonight they went to the store and bought fireworks. Tomorrow it's bowling. Wednesday the beach. And do you think he plans things for just the two of us? Rarely..