You are here

The Zoo

raum's picture

I could scream.

Let me say before I rant that I came from a rough household. So I know things happen, I know a lot of us in the world had it rough, but I made a promise to myself that I would never let my kids struggle the way I struggled as a kid. I want them to know that it's not okay to struggle, not okay to live in filth and be rude, inconsiderate, never on time, overall slobs. 

If you didn't read my previous rant I may have to recap a few things: There is a 7 year old and a 9 year old, the 7 year old has been diagnosed with autism and so we have made our best attempt to be sure that we are consistent and firm with our rules and schedules. In the beginning their divorce arrangements were a 50/50 custody where my partner (their father) had to pay child support and have them a week, then their mother has them a week. I changed my schedule at work so that when their father's mother could not watch them, I would be there for them. The bio mother cut the BF's family out on her weeks for vindictive reasons, insisting that her family would be there for her and the boys. Lo and behold, a few months after, the BM almost lost her job because her family ducked out since the boys were "too much" for them and she could not find a steady babysitter. She dropped child support on the terms that I quit my job and watched the boys in her absence, which I agreed to. So every day, no matter what week, I will always get them off the bus, and if they have no school I'm here for them in the morning too. She works til 4 but sometimes won't pick them up til 5 or 6 (she works 15 minutes away) which is fine if it wasn't every single day and always a new excuse. Even on her days off, when she has a whole day of free time to herself, she has neglected to come and get them off the bus, she still shows up between 4:30 and 5. I don't know if she does this intentionally to irritate me or if being punctual is just super difficult for her. She pawns them off on us constantly when she "has plans" and has had multiple chances to spend extra time with them since she doesn't have them as much anymore but chooses to have more "plans" that she can't spend that time with them. 

Back in July or August the BF was driving past the BM's house and noticed she had a guy over that he (the BF) knew. The guy is alright, albeit a lot of people said he was a little "grungy", but my partner says he's got a good heart. That's all that matters, right? That's all we cared about was that he was good to the kids if she was dating them. So we left it alone. We joked that since the guy had a paid off house and car, that the BM would see him as an "opportunity" and move in ASAP. Well, that's when we got the first phone call. She called the BF at midnight, saying that they got picked up by the state police almost an hour away and needed a ride home because her new boyfriend got busted with his DUI. No problem, my partner went out and picked her up. No reason to complain about how awful he is after that, right? A few weeks later she called him to vent about her boyfriend's court issues. That's when we found out this was the guy's second DUI in the span of A MONTH. Hello, red flags! The guy has three kids (11, 14? and 17, that he left frequently at home by themselves on school nights to go to the BM's house) and a CDL, and the first DUI wasn't a clue?

So, that opportunity we were talking about. A few months after all this she calls BF to let him know that she would be moving in with this guy by the end of the year. Called it. Whatever. Again, as long as the kids are happy that's all that matters. She ended up moving in with him by the end of the month, not the end of the year. All is fine and dandy, right? After a few weeks of this, the kids come over smelling like a cigarette. We asked if they like their new home, and we did the math in what the household is like. The house is a 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom holding two adults that don't know how to clean, five kids, EIGHT cats, and two dogs. They have the litter box in the kitchen that is rarely cleaned, and one of the dogs poops / pees on the living room and bathroom floors constantly. I want to mention that before the BM moved in with this guy, she had 4 cats and you could smell the urine from the driveway. So what does this place smell like now? On top of this, we brought up the cigarette smell to the kids and they said "yeah but they said we would be fine since the smoke goes up and we're down here." SCIENCE.

This has been going on for a good few months now and I've tried to keep calm. But today, she dropped off the boys with just the clothes on their backs and their two coats. Just from those two coats alone, their bedroom smells like a dive bar. I walked into their bedroom today and was struck by the stench as soon as I passed over the threshold, and all there was different was those two coats sitting on their bed. We already brought up the fact that the kids have the same smell you carry with you when you walk out of a packed smoker's bar, and her response was "oh that's probably because (her boyfriend) smokes in the house, I told him we need to get a smokeless candle." Meanwhile 1. we know she smokes in the house too, 2. what in the world is a smokeless candle going to do with two chronic smokers, 3. why not open the window or just entirely go outside? The weather isn't even that bad.

There are alarms going off in my head. I've started documenting what time she drops them off, what time she picks them up, and the detail of how badly they smell when they come here as well as their accounts of what goes on in that house. She refuses to let us pick them up or drop them off at her house, insisting she comes here even if it's inconvenient for her, so we don't even know first hand what situation they're in over there. When the boys put the phone in video-camera mode during a conversation we see glimpses of the inside of the house. Dirty kitchen walls, mattress with no sheets. She says they are absolutely horrible attitude-wise over there but they are fine at our house. We brought up the fact that she lets them get away with everything under the sun but she just clams up. She had the nerve to message BF and demand that he have a talk with the boys about their disrespect toward her, even though he does every day when they're over there. It's not our fault. We've even explained that they're good for us, she says she knows. And it's not a mother / woman thing, since they apparently don't listen to her boyfriend either but they listen to me.

Even the 7 year old's doctor discussed this with the BM and BF. After he had both accounts of her household he explained that the reason he acts up in the BM's house and not so much in ours is because her household is more chaotic where we have structure. No powwow or reasoning has gone anywhere with her. She will cry about how bad the boys are over there but when we point out the possible reasons (the only reasons) she acts like we are being unreasonable. I'm at wit's end. 

tog redux's picture

Would she agree to let you guys have full custody if DH didn't make her pay child support? (Please don't hit me ).

Seriously, though, sounds like she tries to minimize her time with them anyway.

notsurehowtodeal's picture

I'd offer to take the kids full time and not pay child support.

This sounds like a horrible situation for the kids - but not the kind of situation about which CPS is going to do anything.

raum's picture

I wouldn't hit you! Unfortunately no, she would not. For whatever reason/s, (I have my ideas based on the experience with her and will keep zipped to be polite) she has insisted that we not take full custody, child support or not. And yet continues to make these mistakes and claim denial when we confront her. 

In fact, to update my thread, we had another episode with her yesterday. 
We washed the coats because they were putrid. Even the boys were upset about the smell, and have brought up to us a lot in the past that the smell of cigarette smoke is disgusting, in their own words! We also sent them home to her a few days ago with blankets they brought over from her house and asked that they not return with them because they made the whole top floor of our house smell like a bar. That's the worst thing - it's not like they smell lightly of cigarettes. It's like their clothes and belongings have marinated in the smell. Anyways.

When she got here yesterday the BF went out with the boys to let her know we washed to coats and they smelled terrible. Just as he walked out, one of the boys looked at him and said "Can you please tell mommy to stop smoking in the house?" Now, he's already asked us to tell her to stop smoking in the car. Which she still does. So he went out to her and told her we washed the coats because they stunk so bad, and she immediately berates him with "Did you really tell the kids that they can't bring their blankets because they stink of cigarettes?" Uh, YES? And then he brought up to her that her own KID was asking that she stop smoking in the house. He also told us that when they cleaned his room (this is the kid still, btw) they found a cigarette butt. Even before the boys were there, the 11 year old was in that room. Wtf? She got flustered and started to argue for a minute then threw her hands in the air and got in her car. After she left, my partner sent her an honestly polite message explaining he wasn't trying to be an ass, but she needed to better consider the boys' health and just smoke outside. Quit letting them walk around smelling like that. The one boy always complains that his ear hurts, now I wonder if that has a part of it? 

So I get the boys today and I ask the one who requested us confront her if she had a talk with her boyfriend about smoking outside. No, they didn't. I said, did you say something to her about her smoking? He said, "I told her the cigarette smoke smelled disgusting." Did she say anything? "No." I asked if they still smoked in the house. He said, "[her boyfriend] smokes outside sometimes but she still smokes in the house." (Which btw goes completely against what she told us, since she was making it out to be like HE smoked in the house all the time and she didn't.) I asked if she still smoked even after they got home? Yes. I don't understand. It's not like anyone said, "you have to stop smoking." Just open the door, walk outside, smoke your cigarette and come back in? How difficult is that?

And as for CPS, we wouldn't call them not only because it's not a strong enough case yet that we're aware of but because even if we weren't the ones to call them, she would immediately blame us. I just don't get it. How does any of this seem considerate of your own kids? The nasty ass poop-filled litter box (one litter box between eight cats) in the kitchen. The fact they smell like a damp ash tray everywhere they go. The constant calls of, "the boys don't listen to me" because there are no ground rules enforced. How are these not red flags for someone??

tog redux's picture

CPS standard of care is very low. If they have food and clothes and aren't beaten black and blue, they stay in the home.

I'd buy new coats cheap for the kids at Goodwill, and leave her smoky ones in the garage to be worn back to her house when they go. Then you don't have to wash them every time.

Too bad one of them doesn't have asthma (yet), then CPS would probably take the call.  ASPCA might take a call to check on the neglected cats.

beebeel's picture

I'm having serious flashbacks. The smell of stale smoke...animal waste from the hoarding cats, dogs and snakes...the drunk SF who is such a "good guy" (not really, but his presence has been beneficial in the fact that it finally ended the revolving door of losers. One loser is better than 6-10 per year, right?). Yep! 

My skids are 18 and stb17 and they still stink. They don't do laundry over there and the one who lives here has to be nagged for weeks before he finally washes his disgusting clothes. 

I know your heart is in the right place, but stop questioning the kids about where these assholes smoke. It's not going to do anything but make the kids act out even more with her. If she had two brain cells, she already would be smoking outside. You can't cure stupid. 

You can try teaching them how to do their oen laundry, but that never stuck for my skids when I tried. You could tell them to keep their bedroom door always closed to cut down on the smoke and animal smells, but again the results will be "meh."

To make a short story long, these are problems that you can't solve. You can't control what she does and encouraging the kids to tell her where to smoke is wrong. Well...it's not right anyhow. 

My best advice? Go back to work. Stop sacraficing your future for kids who may or may not hate your guts in a few years. Stop worrying more about them than their own mother. Hard, I know. But no matter how filthy, lazy or stupid she is, and no matter how clean, amazing and loving you are, they will burn your life down for her.

raum's picture

Going back to work opens an unintentional can of warfare I don't plan on cracking open and chucking into the situation just yet. The only reason I dropped work is that she couldn't find babysitters and would lose her job, and she made it clear that if she lost her job that she would leech as much child support money out of my partner as she could. And apparently, seeing how the courts garnished his wages before and left him struggling as it was, I don't doubt they would allow her to drain him dry month to month. She would see my going back to work as a personal hit and immediately take to court. The only way to avoid that warfare is to cut out of the relationship to let them duke it out between each other and I'm not about that. If I was done with the relationship and/or couldn't handle it anymore, sure. 

I'm not really hindered, myself. I don't see it as sacrificing my future, that's a little bold. I knew what I was getting into when I began the relationship a good while ago, and I can ensure that being an extremely cautious person, I don't make these engagements or decisions lightly. What I can take from your advice more is to consider letting loose from my concern. You're very right, it is difficult. Especially when they are under my own roof showing the backlash of living over there in the Lord of the Flies land. Staying guarded benefits me, for sure. But I can't not care. 

As for encouragement, I don't ask many questions. For one, I don't want to turn them against her. Two, even simple, harmless "what did you eat today?" questions pop up under her roof in a different light. I had hoped to hear that she would have had a heart to heart with her kids about the cigarette smoke, and so I asked this once. But I can see that is beyond her. I didn't press it any further. Unless something else completely baffles us, there is obviously no worth in asking anyone questions.

Your experience sounds very similar to what I'm in, despite whatever differences there may be, so I absolutely appreciate and consider your advice. CPS isn't really happening unless we start seeing seriously concerning matters that are worth the headache and phone call. This is mostly a vent, a rant, so I can continue to keep my mouth shut and focus straight. More of a "wtf?" blow off because I seem to understand less and less of this brood by the day. But I'm luckily not dating her, soo. You are very right, as much as the boys enjoy and appreciate my company she will always come first and I will never discourage that, no matter how much of a slum she becomes or lets them become. I just don't see how she expects there to be any balance between households with two vastly different levels of care.