You are here

toddler is lying

iwishyouwould's picture

my 4y/o stepson has recently picked up lying. he also has gotten into the habit of asking dh something and if he doesnt get the answer that he wants from him, he will ask me the same question out of earshot of dh. if ss knows that he is heading for trouble (ie time out etc) he will hug and kiss us, tell us how much he loves us, that we're his best friends in the whole wide world... and it is absolutely adorable and makes it extremely difficult to discipline him for anything. i would like to hear how other parents have handled this - have any of you had this problem? how did yall handle it (that is, the lying, the playing the parents and the trying to get out of trouble by buttering us up)?

Stick's picture

IFeelReallyOld.... My father used to say this to us, if we were trying to get out of trouble... (and you can't forget the "mean" look when you say it)..

"You're cute, but YOU AIN'T THAT CUTE!"

And then he'd give us the look to know that we were treading on thin water and that no matter how much we tried to butter him up... if we crossed the line we crossed the line.

When he lies, confront him.

When he plays it up, tell him he's cute, but he can't get away with stuff just because he's cute.

Be honest and be forthright. These are pretty important lessons. I don't think it needs to be done harshly, but with love AND a firm hand. Does this make sense?

*** A rainbow just threw up on me... and now I'm sh*tting glitter! ***

Stick's picture

Sheesh!! Thin water... I meant thin ice, of course.

I'm glad you understood what I meant IFeel. In my opinion, these "little" lessons will be oh so important to how he grows up and deals with other people... teachers, friends, etc.

Hope it works!! Smile

*** A rainbow just threw up on me... and now I'm sh*tting glitter! ***

Orange County Ca's picture

Mainipulating little b......s aren't they.

It may be that 50 years from now the only important thing you did in this life is to be important in the life of a kid.

AllSmiles's picture

It is so hard when they are little and cute. He is testing boundaries to figure out how things work and how he can get what he wants...very, very normal.

My son is 4 and it will break his heart if I take a car from him. It's hard to see the big fat tears, but I want him to act right and other people to love him, not just me.

Stay strong, enforce punishment, then hug and kiss later!!

"Courage is fear holding on a minute longer." General George S. Patton

imagr8tma's picture

Stick and AllSmiles hit it on the head.

Kids learn early how to be manipulative.......... We got to try as best we can to put the little buggers back in line....

********She doesn't have to love me or even like me - it doesn't change a dang thing..... So get over it and move on BM!************