You are here

Students taught to attack if gunman appears

SympatheticBioDad's picture

BURLESON, Texas - Youngsters in a suburban Fort Worth school district are being taught not to sit there like good boys and girls with their hands folded if a gunman invades the classroom, but to rush him and hit him with everything they've got — books, pencils, legs and arms.

“Getting under desks and praying for rescue from professionals is not a recipe for success,” said Robin Browne, a major in the British Army reserve and an instructor for Response Options, the company providing the training to the Burleson schools.

That kind of fight-back advice is all but unheard of among schools, and some fear it will get children killed.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15253321/

I haven't had a chance to form a complete opinion on this yet but I thought I'd post it to see what everybody else felt about this. What do you think?

Nise's picture

This is a hard one! I think that it is dangerous to “rush” a person with a gun…but then again it has proven to be very dangerous to sit and wait as well…I don’t know…I think maybe it depends on the age/grade of the students…I would NEVER advise elementary schools kids to rush someone with a gun…how much damage could a bunch of 10 year olds really do? But high school boys, maybe it would be an effective tactic if you had a class full of 11th grade football players and they all rushed in? Even then, it could make it worse….

Make a GREAT Day!