You are here

SD17 motivation issues?

Coffee mug's picture

We have almost 17SD half time at our house, been SM to her for 6 years. DH and I have been trying to help her with her struggles at school. She is seeing a counselor, getting extra tutoring, and on meds for depression/anxiety. She doesn't do anything without being told. Wont do homework, wont get out of bed, won't shower, won't do chores, won't do anything, won't take her pill, nothing unless we make her. She would lay in bed, in the dark, on her phone, all day if we let her. DH has been fairly hands off over the years (and I disengaged as a result), then finally stepped in big time last year when her grades revealed she's failing every class, mostly because she doesn't do her homework. Now we check her work every day, make sure its done, and take her phone away until done.  BM is a lump and doesn't do this for her. Now SD does well on homework when we make her do it, but bombs nearly every quiz or test. She is taking some initiative a self starting, but only in fits and starts, no consistency.. DH is convinced she's just lazy and doesn't care about herself or anything. I suspect she has learning disabilities or even a mild handicap, and want to get her tested....just to rule it out. He flat out told me no, she just doesn't have any motivation and needs to learn to motivate herself. Period. It has to come from within. I get that, but she's got a lifetime of bad habits and clearly needs more help. Im stuck, I really want to help this kid. I care about her, she's otherwise a great kid, just acts and looks like a 13YO instead of 17. Im very concerned about a futire failure to launch, and concerned she won't graduate next year, leaving hubs on the hook for CS until she does. Hubs plans on tough love after HS, when she's 18. I want to help her now, so hopefully we can avoid that. Is this maybe a disability? Or is she "just lazy" with no motivation? What do I do?

tog redux's picture

So, this is a kid who is headed for Failure to Launch. You and DH need to sit down with her and discuss taking steps towards independence, with her being expected to meet certain tasks by certain dates. Get BM on the same page if you can.  Push her and don't be afraid to give consequences (eg - you are getting a job and paying for your own phone by X date and then follow through).  Hold her accountable for chores around the house. And push her to deal with her anxiety about growing up in therapy, because that's what's going on.