You are here

SD 10 and Eating only white foods

diggerodel's picture

Help. My SD mom says she has gained weight eating out because of me enjoying "fast foods" and eating late. She and her daughter prior to me have always eaten at home and by 5 PM. I can't get the mother to cook a balanced meal and if she does for us after two bites of a meat or green she lets the SD have all the white food she wants. We recently went out with friends to dinner and all had different pizzas. SD had noodles with butter and refused to even try pizza. Last night the Mrs. and I had PF Chang Orange Chicken and the daughter was allowed to have just Chicken Tenders. I care that we eat healthy as a family and am going nuts that the wife cooks salad and shrimp scampi for us and the kid gets to have mac n cheese. Help...thanks for letting me vent!

PS The mom has at least agreed to put her on gummie vitamins but only has the SD take them if I am around and mention it. UGGGH

Tx mommy of 3's picture

How old is your sd? Is she overweight? I would pull up some articles on childhood obesity and nutrition and give them to your wife. I'm not saying your sd is obese but unfortunately a lot more kids are overweight because of unhealthy eating habits and lack of exercise. I would also encourage sd to be involved in something- sports, martial arts, dance, gymnastics...something to keep her active. Ad for what you can do I would just start talking more about healthy versus unhealthy choices and why healthy choices aregood for us. Don't overemphasize though. You don't want to make sd feel bad. Maybe have healthy fruits and snacks around. Always offer her a healthy alternative first. If wife makes somehing for you, maybe ask sd first if she would like to try it first before deciding what she wants to eat. Also, maybe your wife doesn't like to cook. Chicken tenders and pasta is easy. Maybe once a week or so offer to cook dinner for everyone. Then you can fix something for the family and encourage sd to try it. Maybe even have sd help you make dinner so she is more willing to try something 'she' made. The hard thing is if your wife sees nothing wrong then it's hard to change old habits.

Orange County Ca's picture

Too many "she's" in this so I'm not sure if you're referring to the bio mother, step daughter or your wife. But here goes:

Somehow your presence has caused your wife to stop properly feeding her own daughter - your step daughter. Is that right?

Mmmmm by the way nothing you get a PF Chang is going to be all that healthy.

I'd tell your wife that her daughters food intake is up to your wife and that you'll eat whatever your wife chooses to put in front of you.

You can eat junk food when no one is looking.

my.kids.mom's picture

As much as this is frustrating for you, it is not your child, and you should not stress about it anymore than the biomom does. I have to tell myself this everyday. We believe in real foods, raw milk, nutritional supplements over drugs at my house and having kids in our lives with parents who feel differently is very frustrating. It is the parents' job to make sure the kid consumes what is appropriate, and outside of providing the mom with information, there is nothing really that you can do to make changes except leading by example.