You are here

Room Cleaning

Cover1W's picture

So, a win for Cover!

SD12 is a very organized, clean kid.  She does her own laundry.  She cleans the kitchen after she cooks, and sometimes when she's bored she'll clean it for the heck of it.  She needs to shower more often, but we're working on that.  At least she doesn't scream and battle you like SD14 used to do.

BUT lately she's been leaving dirty dishes and "craft/science" projects in her room when she leaves, and those tend to rot.  Smell very badly rot.  So I told DH that I was having none of it and there's not going to be a repeat of SD14 in the house and I will take care of it without him.  ...it's also easier with SD12 because she just doesn't have the issues SD14 does and I'm more engaged with her.

So, the other weekend I cleaned up.  I checked again last weekend and found stuff, put it all on her bed and left a note letting her know that it was unacceptable to put trash, recycles, and dirty dishes in her closet and under her bed.  And to please dispose of it properly.

So I ask her last night if she's cleaned up.  Yes, she has.  I thank her.  Then she asks, "Why were you in my room anyway?"  She didn't ask it with any sort of tone, just straight up wanting to know.  "Because the other week when you left you left things to rot, wrapped in plastic and molding.  I could smell it outside your room.  I will not allow rotting things in this house, so I will be checking your room."  She thinks about this and says, "Oh, ok."  Then we have dinner.

DH was there and I hope he was watching and learning.

hereiam's picture

DH was there and I hope he was watching and learning.

I love it that you are so hopeful!

At least SD12 didn't give you attitude. I don't know how these kids can sleep in a room with rotting food.

Cover1W's picture

Regarding DH:  LOL, right? 

Redarding rotting food:  It likely wasn't rotting/smelling yet when she was home - I found it about 2-3 days later.  SD14 on the other hand has no excuse.

openhkheart's picture

That’s great that she normally does what she’s supposed to by keeping up after herself. There’s an almost 16 year old in our house who tries to lie about showers and cleaning his room. He makes up excuses why he can’t or tries other ways to get out of it. The only positive is he stopped calling his dad pretty bad names when asked to do his responsibilities. He says other things now but still. He’s very lazy and entitled. Part of the problem is I try to keep things consistent and the biological father does not.  

Cover1W's picture

Yeah, SD12 is a pretty good kid.  I'm working on follow up with her now.  She didn't do something recently that she said she would, so we discussed it and she took care of it the next day and I was sure to thank her.

SD14 is about to have her room garbage-bagged this weekend AGAIN.  She has almost nothing in there yet she still manages to make it a mess.  At the same time, I'm getting DH to clean his office or I'm going to do the same thing to him.  My two sh!ts about other people's things vs. a complete hoarde is over.  Not in my house.  A bit of mess is ok, a hoarde is not.

And I'm hiring a once a month house cleaner.