You are here

my bio daughter is scared of the step kids...any advice

robinmaye37's picture

A little background..Both myself and my BF are going through divorces..we met after this started. We each have 3 children, mine are 18, 14, 13 and his are 13, 10, 8. Our children are very different, mine quiet and shy, his loud and energetic. My 2 younger kids live with their father and we share joint custody. I can basically see them anytime and have a good relationship with my ex and his wife (not the ex I am divorcing currently) The girls stay over with me every other weekend and on holidays as I live in a different school district so weekly overnights is not an option.

My boyfriend and I moved in together in Aug. 2006. He has joint custody also and we see his children on his days off. They only sleep over when he is off on the weekend as they are also in a separate school district. We live in the middle 45 minutes either direction to see each of our kids. He does not get along with his ex. She is out to make our lives as miserable as possible. But that is another topic.

We recently had his 3 kids and my youngest daughter, she is 13. His kids fight with each other non stop. It is not just arguing it is down right physical. The oldest can be very mean and makes the other 2 cry almost non stop. After my daughter went home she told me over the phone that the fighting bothered her. And she has made plans for every weekend in February so that she doesn't have to come here when they are here. She also stated that she is scared of them and the way they fight so much.

Now I am not saying my kids are better than his kids, I am just saying they are different. I am a quiet person, i don't yell and scream and neither did my kids Bio-father. Sure my kids argue with each other, but they do not comes to blows. My boy friend is also a very quiet guy, but his ex is a screamer. And part of the current custody battle is due to the number of injuries her oldest son has when we get him. She will slap him repeatedly across the face as well as slapping the oldest. The youngest one is really the only one that isn't hit. I believe this has made them more aggressive in their fighting.

My problem is I don't know what to do about my youngest daughter not wanting to come here when his kids are here. It has been 2 weeks already and I miss her terribly. I will see her next weekend, but only because I am going to her birthday party. Then she is staying home and having a sleep over, and the next weekend she said she has other plans and can't come then either.

We have tried setting no hitting rules and we do separate the kids when they fight, but it doesn't seem to deter them from starting right back up once the time out is over. And we have not yet been able to get them to stop screaming at each other. My boyfriend is working on it though. Any advice on how to help calm the wild kids and make the quiet ones feel safe would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone and I really like this site. I have read some really great posts.
Robin

Realist's picture

Hi Robin,

I feel for your daughter. Who wants to hear fighting and arguing all weekend? She's the youngest and 13 and that is a difficult position and she sounds like she's been through a lot. I think that your partner's children should be adapting a little more to their environment so that everyone's needs are being met.

My own personal solution to a similar problem has been to separate the children, but it is, I admit, a bandaid solution.

I can see that you are really missing your daughter and I think you need to be really frank with your partner and his kids that your daughter is feeling reluctant to come over and that this is upsetting YOU. Since you guys are the adults, the kids have to compromise to meet your needs. I think the onus is on their dad to deal with their fighting and on them to behave. They are his children and you are his upset partner.

To encourage time with your daughter what about the idea of taking her out to do something special - the two of you together and slowly integrating her back into the house. Also - maybe your partner's kids need to get out of the house a bit more with their dad and give you and your daughter a bit of space... These suggestions would keep their contact to a minimum and get them using up their energy so that they are a little more quiet when they return to the house... Smile