You are here

I really need help with step son that is 11 year old compulsive liar

why_did_I's picture

I don't know where to begin. My husband and I dated for a short time and lived together almost immediately. I knew he had three children two of which lived with him. We decided to relocate to Florida to give the children a better life. Well we have been in Florida for the past 3 years and his oldest son is a mess! He is so very smart and he is very handsome but he is a liar! It doesn't matter what he is talking about he just lies right to your face even when you call him on it. He also has destroyed our home. He has cut holes in curtains, the sofa, broke 2 flat screen tvs, told the school that we beat him, told his father that I have threatend to beat and kill him when he leaves for work. I can go on and on and on. I have spoken to some people inthe family already and they said he has ben like that since he was small. The biological mother wants nothing to do woth either boy. She hasn't seen the youngest since he was 1 he is now 6. She doesn't send child support, she doesn't call and she has 5 other children and they are all by different fathers. I was a teacher for a long time and I taught special education. He is extremely defiant. I don't know where else to turn. My husband feels that it's just boy stuff. I know that this child is delaing with alot because his mother hasn't seen him in so long, and she doesn't call. I am trying to be the adult, but I cry everyday and I feel so alone here with noone but him and the kids. I have no one to turn to!! Please help if you have any advise........

misguided's picture

Why don't you try taking him to a therapist. I have found that when a child is abandonded it causes really deep seated anger. They need to talk through it because they are smart enough to know that however we spin it at the end of the day their mother doesn't want them and therefore something is wrong with them. It's sad but that is the way they feel and they really need to work through it before they pass on their anger to the next generation. Good luck.

Pantera's picture

My ss9 is the same way. His Mom is in and out of his life. We started going to family therapy. It really does help. We have also learned that his compulsive lying and defiance stemmed from ADHD. There may be another underlying cause besides the abandonment.