You are here

I find my SD8 to be VERY ANNOYING sometimes... is this normal?!

Mystique's picture

I often wonder if stepparents, stepmothers especially, are underappreciated? I’m new at step-parenting and still trying to fit myself into the equation. I know there are those who go through so much more than what I’m going through. However, I feel it helps for me to vent my dissatisfactions.

Before I go any further, my partner and I are not married but we’ve been living together for almost a year now. SD8 and SS5 spend the weekend with us every 2 weekends and we get along well. Their BM and I are friendly and we email each other every other day.

The longest they have stayed with us was about 2 weeks and it wasn’t that bad. It’s just that, recently I find SD8 to be very annoying. I feel bad for venting because I know she adores me very much but at times, I just can’t take it. She’d interrupt whenever SO and I are talking and when SO scolds her, she’d say sorry BUT would do it again later on. I’m in my early 30s and her BM is nearing 50, and SO is late 30s. So I feel as if she sees me more like a friend than an adult – if that makes sense. SS5 calls me “aunty Mystique” while she calls me by my name. In their culture, I guess that’s okay but I feel as if she’s being a bit disrespectful?

There are other things she has done that hurt me (maybe I was overly sensitive…?) and I’m the type that bottle things up because I hate confrontations (typical Libran) so I just let it slip ALTHOUGH I did once or twice told her that it wasn’t cool what she did or said. I feel so much relief when we send them back to their BM. The thing is… I adore and love them… but at times, I feel like yanking my hair out! Is this normal?!

alwaysanxious's picture

well, it sounds like you don't have it too bad. But someone else's kids are just always going to be annoying in some way.

If you don't like how they address you, can you tell them how to address you? Its up to you what you want to be called. Its hard to keep adult status sometimes. We all struggle with it. Its all about how your SO and their BM guide them to treat adults.

One thing to try to do, stop bottle things. You don't want to come off like your picking on them, but bottling up will make things so much worse.

Are there other things that get to you?