You are here

Husband Constantly Breaking Rules

confusedstepmom's picture

I got married for the first time in Aug. 2005. My husband has 3 boys from his first marriage and I have no children. His 15 year old son lives with us for 1 1/2 years now due to the his mother not being able to control him under her roof. My husband sets rules and constantly breaks the rules. I even put a contract together for his 15 yr son with complete input from him and my stepson's mother so we could all be on the same page with discipline and help each other out. His mother and I went over it with my stepson and the adults signed it. Hubby was working at the time when we reviewed it with stepson but gave us his okay. Well, my husband never upheld anything in the contract and pretty much broke all the rules. I'm so frustrated and told him that I can no longer discipline the children as it's too confusing and to just let me know what his rules are moving forward. If the kids ask me something I will tell them they have to call their father from now on. There's a rule one day and it's broken the next. I don't feel like it's our home this way as I am with the kids a lot by myself. There are no set rules, boundaries and limitations that are consistent. He told me he goes day by day. I think he believes I'm too strict, which I can be, that's why I got the parents input for the contract. It has rules, consequences and privileges in the contract. Just looking to get some advice. I have lost a lot of respect for my husband and his behavior. It's keeping me in a constant state of anger as I don't know how to let go of all of it. I just wish I had someone to talk with that could give me some advice.

Thanks for reading.

TinaKay's picture

in the event this marriage goes the way of divorce
so you can better negotiate a good settlement.

Sasha's picture

How would your husband feel if the rules at his place of employment changed every day. Do you think he would be happy to hear his boss say "I go day by day." Betcha he wouldn't like it one bit!

Perhaps your husband should find someone else to take care of the kids when he can't be there with them.

But hey, as long as he comes out smelling like a rose, why should he be concerned about it?

confusedstepmom's picture

Thanks for all the comments. I have a lot to read here for sure. I am leaving all the discipline up to him and the kids can call him and then he can let me know what the rules are for each day. I've been letting this get to me too much. I have my own issues and I need to try and take care of myself a little better.

Sasha, that was excellent what you wrote. If we have any further discussion about rules and such I am going to bring that up.

There are several more issues to my story and I'm trying to learn how to take care of myself regarding those as well. It's tough.