You are here

How to explain to a 5 year old the difference between boys and girls?

newbiestepmom25's picture

During dinner SS5 busts out and says .

SS5: " daddy, newbiestepmom25 what makes girls and boys differn't? Cause my friend kyle said girls don't got peepee's is that true?

DH: No Girls do not have pee pee's they have other parts

SS5:" oh.... Do girls got nuts?

DH: " No. Now finish your food.

SS5: Newbiestepmom25 how do you pee if you don't have a pee pee?

Me: Lets talk abou this after dinner

SS5: Kyle said girls got boobs, but not only girls causse grandpa(FIL) gots boobs.

Me:(holding back a laugh) We will finish this discussion after dinner ok

SS5: okay

How should we approach this topic with him. I'm sorry this is my first time being asked this.

newbiestepmom25's picture

lol no more kyle 4 sure.

SS has not asked anymore questons so Idon't know if we should bring it up and talk about it or just wait until he brings it up again.

jumanji's picture

Wait - he's FIVE and doesn't yet know that boys and girls are different? Both parents have really dropped the ball on this one, IMO.

RainbowsAndDaisies's picture

Use the real words for body parts. Don't over explain. Boys and girls have different bodies. Girls have this and bpys have that. That's how (god/mother nature/whatever) made us. Might be A good time to have a talk about private parts - namely the fact that they are private and no one else touches your private parts but you.

mnmat86's picture

Haha I'm going through this with my daughter right now. I just told her "Boys have penises, girls have vaginas." She's been asking more female anatomy questions since I got pregnant so she got a book about a mother dog and her puppies. There's an illustrated-not too graphic-picture of the puppies being born, which allowed me to explain that babies come out of the mommy's vagina. She also got a toy mommy dog with puppies that has magnets in the dog's nipples and puppies' mouths that I've used to explain breastfeeding to her. Always use real terminology and give the shortest answer possible!

Naive's picture

An alternate educational article being posted here.i know it was a great guide or sample for the guardian out there of what are the exceptional responses they give for inquiries of five years of age baby.by this article they study how to answer that the toddler simple to comprehend. http://www.buyinstagramfollowersreviews.com/

Jonathan's picture

Just begin showing him about all the figure parts of an individual and after that separately about the form parts of a young lady and a kid. At the same time don't surpass with your instructing. Gave him a chance to know to the level what a 5 years kid may as well know. At that point he develops up..he will regularly study the things. http://www.purchaseyoutubeviews.com/

wiljean's picture

Hello there ! thanks for sharing this thing to us, and you know what your site is really great

i can see your efforts you put here

i know that your a great person, thanks a lot and God BLESS.

HERE ----->
buy reverbnation plays

Rags's picture

Have THE talk. Explain what a penis is and what a vagina is. Get a book to help explain it. My mom was the master of educating her boys on their own bodies and the bodies of girls. Her go to publications (45 or so years ago) were BOYS GROWING UP and MEN AND THEIR PHYSIQUES. Both had anatomically correct drawings and helped explain things pretty well. No doubt there are many other newer books and tools to help explain this to your SS.

Others have suggested using the proper terms for the body parts your SS is asking about. Use them. Penis, vagina, breasts, testicles, urethra (both boys and girls have one though the sure do look different), etc..... You can also use slang terms but make sure you tie them to the accurate terms.

It sounds to me that you are doing a great job.

Keep up the good work.