You are here

Have you ever heard of a child insisting on wearing an eye patch at school?

liz9552's picture

I had to share. I have never in all my life, in all the substitute teaching, have ever heard of a child insisting on wearing an eye patch. FDH went to speak with SD's teachers and they informed him of many of the odd and disrespectful behavior. This one I just cannot even imagine. SD went to the school nurse and told her that she needed an eye patch because her eye was twitching, the nurse explained that it was normal and asked if it hurt. SD told her no. Nurse said that she would not give her an eye patch, as it would mess up her balance and so forth...Well SD then goes to the restroom at school, gets toilet paper and then on to find tape, she literally taped toilet paper to her eye with scotch tape and walked around school like that the whole day. Weird, just very strange for a 5th grader to do. I swear, I am never going to her school again unless I have a big sign that says NOT RESPONSIBLE. Oh Lord, just had to share....

not2sureimsaneanymore's picture

Maybe she needs one eye to be adjusted to the darkness so when she pillages ships and raids seaside towns at night, she'll be ready like a real pirate?

Got nothing. But kids do weird things.

Orange County Ca's picture

Wouldn't the "I'm with stupid" t-shirts do the trick?

I wonder if its Munchausen Syndrome where people claim to be sick to gain attention:

http://www.examiner.com/article/they-need-to-be-sick-munchausen-syndrome

Or it may just be attention getting all by itself which is what I'm thinking. She's acting out and its likely because of the divorce. I hope you guys can afford a counselor for her as they can do wonders in just a couple of months.

liz9552's picture

No, he is too busy being upset that I have taken a step back. He is still on his own pity party to worry with her. And there is the problem. I believe she is seeking attention, and it has nothing to do with a divorce, its not being the center of attention with her dad. He took her from her mom when she was 2 and her mom just came back into her life.

furkidsforme's picture

Meh, when I was her age I used to unbend paperclips and make myself braces. Kids are weird.

jumanji's picture

Or maybe, Dad should take her to an ophthalmologist. It may not hurt, but there may be a problem.

liz9552's picture

I have taken her to the eye doctor since I have been with him. She wears glasses, well let me correct myself here, she is suppose to wear glasses, but everytime that I have them fixed she breaks them again. She has been without glasses for almost 2 months now, because I told her to take them to her dad, and that is where they sit, on his dresser.

jumanji's picture

Then leave it with him. Tell teacher to call Daddy if there is an issue or concern. And step away.