You are here

feelings very hurt

ocs's picture

I can't win...

I disengaged and was asked to please re-engage.
fDH is understanding to be more patient as SD12 and I are not bonding. It has been two years. I have been friendly and polite, but to the extent I would be to anyone in my home. Nothing extra anymore. It makes me too anxious and she doesn't welcome it. BUT, I love fDH, so I will try my best.

A few days ago, I was online and saw a few classes I thought would be interesting for SD. Her BM is the type to go roam the mall all of the time.

One of the courses is something she loves, but the other is something she hasn't really shown any interest in. (it's one class- 3hrs long-something different) DH was neutral about it, and actually got defensive about the second class, because "just because we put her in class, doesn't mean she'll start doing it." His tone was so defensive it actually surprised me and I just got up and left the room after saying "it was just a suggestion and moving forward I won't do it."

Snaggletooth doesn't drive or work, so all of this stuff falls on him, I was trying to help. Was I overstepping? Why is this such a trigger for him? I'm starting to realize that since he now knows my reluctance regarding his daughter, everything about her makes him defensive... I'm not sure how to approach this without starting another argument... Or do I just stick to my guns and remain somewhat disengaged?

LRP75's picture

I would say now that you have presented the class information to him, the next move is his.

It would seem that this would strike a fair balance between: Thinking about and looking for something that you think that SD would like and showing enough interest to present that information to your DH, and then leaving it up to him to decide whether or not HE is going to follow-through with it.

hereiam's picture

So, he wants you to re-engage but when you do he is defensive? Well, that's not going to work, is it? He is putting you in a very tough situation.

Has he seen that his daughter does not welcome anything extra from you? Maybe you should make the suggestion to her with him there so he can see for himself that it is his daughter that is making it difficult.

ocs's picture

Thank you very much for the comments! You have given me much to think about... Keep you guys posted!