You are here

Every other weekend

Angel's picture

How much interaction should a step parent have with SS? When the boy (14)comes over, I leave the house & keep myself busy with girlfriends, to give them alone time. But, I am getting tired of it. How can I reclaim my family room?

Daddysgirl's picture

Why are you leaving your own home? Alone time is one thing... but seriously, you can't be a guest in your own home just because he is a STEP child... He will never respect you as a part of his family, if you are completely absent when he is there. Have you ever spent any time as a family????

Angel's picture

SS is very well bahaved. To be honest, I leave because I am tired of taking care of children. I teach high school and deal with 200 kids a day. For 7 hours a day I have practically 0 exposure to adults. I have raised 3 wonderful college grads. I worked hard reading to them, taking them to a myriad of lessons, games, music, soccer, karate. I GAVE MY HEART AND SOUL to them & my students. I just want to go home and veg--------with no children around me.

I leave because I need quiet alone time. Unless you've been in my shoes it is real difficult to imagine the years selflessness I have happily given. BUT NO MORE. I could never be unkind to a child. I am always pleasant to him---NEVER have reprimanded him. We have had a few outings together in the five years I've known him (2 of those years married).

I even RE-married instead of living with him so that the children would get a positive role model. I didn't divorce my X husband until my youngest was 18 (to the exact day) so they wouldn't have to go through this. Thank God I hung in there for them because I see how hard this is.