You are here

different parenting styles

userfriendly's picture

My boyfriend and I have very different parenting skills. He lets is 2 daughters (12 and 18) do whatever they wish. The 18 year old constantly makes him feel guilty and has zero repsect for him. Quite frankly I don't like her. My problem, is that I am a stricter parent of a 13 year old son who is well mannered, well behaved and a great kid. How can this become a happier home when things are clearly unbalanced?

RedWingsFan's picture

^^^^THIS. Unfortunately, the fact that dear daddy doesn't discipline his kids plays a major part on blending the two families successfully. It's hard enough to do when both parents are on the same page!

Good luck

userfriendly's picture

Thanks for all of your advice. What I failed to mention is that we live together. The one thing that does give me some hope is that we barely see the 18 year old and I have asked him to take his 12 year old when my son is not around, as often as possible so that we are not conflicted on house rules. I honestly don't have a problem with the 12 year old and thankfully she isn't a handful......yet.

Iam Noone's picture

The 12 year-old sounds decent, even if her sister is a pain and her father is a dolt.

The 18 year-old? She's an adult and adults are fair game. Fight back already. Is she insecure about her weight? Of course she is.. she's female and 18. Just suggest a new diet or slimming clothes to her a couple of times. Hello, bulemia. Or meth. Whatever.