You are here

childrens money between houses

Millerlinds32's picture

I would really like to know how everyone handles money that step kids receive between mom and dads house. We deal with an extremely high conflict ex that literally brainwashes the kids to no end. This is an ongoing issue in our house. I have 3 step children sd18, ss14, sd9, 0 Bio. Obviously the oldest is 18 and can do what she wants, but the younger 2 we are having this issue with. My step son just recently had a bday and a confirmation. We had a party for him for my husbands side of the family and the Ex had a separate party for her side of the family. SS received about $350 in cash from my husbands family. The ex has now talked SS into basically taking all of his money that he received from my husbands family that he got for our house- and wants him to bring all the money to her house so that he can have an playstation 4 at her house. I am about to throw a fit over it. Because we took the time and money to have a nice get together for him in return he got a fairly large chunk of money- which we were hoping he would use that to buy something for him to do at our house either a playstation 4 or he originally had asked for money so that he could upgrade his dirtbike until his mother talked him into this. My husband just tries to go around the situation with SS because he doesn't like confrontation. My thoughts are we have a say in what that money goes to for him that he gets at our house until he turns 18. If he wants to buys a playstation for our hosue- great- I am fine with that. But of course if we say that he cant take the money to his moms we look like the bad guys and she just drills that into his head over and over and over every single day. what would you do?? looking for thoughts and suggestions.....

Rags's picture

IMHO of course.

And CS was handled through the state CSE office until we invoked direct payroll withholding.  Which made them all kinds of cranky.

At least that is how we did it. 

When SS was traveling to SpermLand for visitation we would give  him travel money. Invariably that money would get scalped by the SpermClan for everything from filling their gas tanks to paying for their family lunch outings.  So... we quit giving the Skid travel money.  Their job was to support him when the was with them just as it was out job to do so when he was with us.

Eventually we opened a joint account for my DW and the Skid and he got a debit card. We would transfer money into that account while he was traveling.  When he landed in SpermLand he would text his mom and she would transfer the money out of that account.  It took them a few experience points to learn to not try to scam money out of hte Skid.  They filled up their tank and tried to get him to pay for it with his debit card and also tried to get him to pay for the entire clan  to go to lunch or dinner on his debit card. The card had no money so they had to call extended SpermClan members to scrape together and  bring them money on a few occassions.  They finally learned that the Skid's money was for his use only and not theirs.  We kept his money in our accounts until he was actually travelling.  That kept their grubby fingers out of his/our money.  They can't guilt him out of money he has no access to.

I believe that the money SS received from the event your side of the blended family held for him should be used for his  life with you and his dad. BM can fill in the gap from the event money from her side if she wants him to have a PS-4 at her home.

Gucci's picture

We absolutely do not let them take money back and forth. They are 13 and 11. It’s a huge no-fly zone for us. Just no.