You are here

Children from hell

bnunzio's picture

I have been living with my girlfriend and 4 step daughters for about a year and a half. These kids are hell. The oldest actually tells my girlfriend what to do. Such as "You are taking me and my friends to the mall." "Go and make me food" " I am going to a dance, I will be home at 1 am" She has just turned 13 four days ago.
Before I came along the children didn't have bed times they are 13,10,9,4. When I asked why the kids dont do any house chores the answer I got was "My kids dont like to do chores so they dont have to" The 9 year old trys to tell me what to do yesterday it was. "Uhum I need you to put music on my Mp3 player."
The oldest has started cutting her self when ever she is finaly diciplined. When ever the kids do get punished all they have to do is cry and ask to not be grounded and my girl friend lets them off the hook. She has just started to realise that her kids are brats. The girls greatgrand mother refuses to come to Christmas because the act like such brats when opening gifts.
The kids have a facination with breaking all of my stuff, tools cameras, flash lights coffe pot, play station you name it it is destroyed.
I dont know if I should leave or what. When ever I complain to my girlfriend her answer is if you dont like it leave.

Anne 8102's picture

First of all, you deserve a medal for living with four women in the first place. Even those of us who are perfect (no eye-rolls, please!) can be a handful.

If she has no control over her children and no desire to gain control over them, then there is not much you can do. If you think it's bad now, just wait until one of those out-of-control girls comes home knocked up and YOU get to help raise and financially support yet another generation of out-of-control kids.

I've said this before, sometimes we ask for advice when what we really want is for someone to tell us it's okay to do what we want to do. If what you want is to leave, then by all means, do so. You don't need anyone's permission for that. You would be totally justified to leave a situation where the kids don't respect you or your things and where their mother doesn't respect you or your feelings and rights as a second adult in the household.

If, on the other hand, you don't want to leave, then I guess you need to have a serious heart-to-heart talk with this woman and lay it all out for her in no uncertain terms. If she's willing to make some changes, then maybe there's hope. But if she's taking the attitude that you can either get over it or leave, well, what does that say about her feelings for YOU? Life is too short to spend it with people who treat you like shit.

~ Anne ~

thegiver's picture

I have three stepdaughters one who will do anything, one who wants to help but her sister won't let her and the other- does nothing! The oldest, 16 will cry if she is asked to put away a ketcup bottle. She's made it clear to all her friends and relatives that her goal in life is to tear my husband and I apart- well it is working! He left me- because I was too mean to them. I guess I was. I took all my money to build them a house, sent the oldest to private school, cooked, cleaned, chauffered them around and babysat everytime the BM wanted to go out and get drunk! What I asked for in return was for them to make their beds and clean their bathroom and they couldn't do it. Too much work!

My husband says he can't expect them to do that at my home because their mother doesn't make them.

I love my husband and the kids- but I won't be the maid for the next 10 years.

My advice- it probably won't get better-run!

Persephone's picture

I'm eighteen and I like it yes I like it oh I like it love it like it love it. Eighteen eighteen eighteen eighteen and I like it!!!

I loved that song by Alice Cooper when I was 18, and I will love it more at 44!!! }:)

Faitheliz's picture

Oh my God...its like a page out of my life. My BF's kids (14 and 7) do the same exact thing. "What can I eat", "Dad! Come here!", "Dad, get me a drink!", "Dad, call to see if I can have my friend over!"....
I am 27 and pretty sure that my parents would have laughed at me if I had tried that kind of thing. These kids get SO much leeway...the 14 year old doesnt have a bedtime and the 7 year old isnt required to even brush his teeth before bed, doesnt have chores, whines constantly...the 14 y/o has no restrictions on phone or internet, can spend the entire weekend at her friends houses (spent the night at a boys house without asking permission and there was a "conversation" but not consequences), has no curfew and actually went so far as to draw ALL over her bedroom walls at one point(seriously?).
My BF wants them to feel "respected" so theres very little in the way of rules or consequences. Its insanity.

OldTimer's picture

Boy, oh, boy, I'd be running faster than a jack-rabbit with a school boy aiming a pellet gun at it, I tell you!

I give it to you, man... bow down to you. You have got to be the BEST man to survive through that!

I agree with Anne whole heartedly, 100%. If you stay, set some boundaries ASAP, set consequences up for 'damage control', be sure to duck your head, build a burr....whatever works, and wear a ballistic bodyarmour vest under your shirt...

bnunzio's picture

Thank you for your comments. I have never met anyone who listens to their kids and allows them to run the house. I had wanted to go to a festivle and was told by my girlfriend that we could not go because the two youngest didnt want to go. Before we started leving the oldest home alone she was the one who said weather or not we took a trip to the flea market.
I grew up in a military house hold where we had to "earn our keep" I had told the kids to pick up thier rooms. Needless to say they did hardly anything and stuffed trash under the bed. When I saw it I told the kids to stop screwing around and do it correctly. The second oldest ran to her mother crying saying she worked hard on her room and I was obnoxious. Then her mother comes and yells at me saying I need to praise them for making an attempt instead of telling them to do it right.
I just have never met someone whose entire life is devoted to fufilling every want and need of her kids.
The oldest will come home from school and get a snack and leave the trash on the couch so her mother can pick it up. I would have been in hell and high water if I did that as a kid. Dose anyone out there understand this mind set?

Anne 8102's picture

Nope, I don't understand their mindset, but I do understand yours. We are a military family, there are several of us posting here. We totally see where you are coming from. You found a great place to vent!

~ Anne ~

Anonymous's picture

its from irresponsible parents. See it all the time, and sorry to hear your with one BUT I would take that ball and run with it. Tell that kid to get her lazy ass up and pick up the trash, assign chores and so on. She is wrecking these kids, so you need to set the rules and follow it. If she can't handle it then, it may be time to throw in the towell but above all, know your right on the money!!

happy's picture

are right on.. They need there asses busted.. A good healthy spanking never hurt any kid. Not even me and I have a flat ass..
It taught me lessons!!!
It does not prepare any kid out there if you hand them everything on that platter. It makes them rotten little shits. JMO
And you are not talking out of your ass you are speaking with wisdom...
****HAPPY****

OldTimer's picture

I turned out just fine sucking on that bar of Zest... *jerks and 'twiches*

I think that some of the kids out there certainly need a good old fashioned form of punishment. geesh...

The next generation is running the next by guilt, I'm afraid.

I mean, geesh, even the military is all political correct now. It's sooo sad how everything you do, say, attempt can be 'used against you' because it would be 'mean' otherwise... I mean, come on! Makes one not even want to have kids sometimes for fear that if you dare tell the kid... knock it off... the police are going to come slam you on the floor... stop. drop the lettace, and put your hands up. I said put your hands up and face the wall. You're under arrest for correcting your child in public...

Anne 8102's picture

That's what the car is for, Step Mom, impromtu ass-whoopings when you're out and about!

I'd be a very wealthy woman if I had a dollar for every time my husband said to one of the kids, "Don't make me take you to the car." I'm not sure what he would've done if he'd actually had to take them to the car, but just saying it implied enough of a threat that they never want to find out!

~ Anne ~

holeekrap789's picture

Once again I am opening myself to a huge slamming here. But hell it's fun to play the devils advocate--hehe.
I can understand your girlfriends minset...to a degree. I am a lot like her and me and my B/F have a lot of disagreements on the discipline issue.
I will say that I am much more lenient and patient than I should be with my kids. He is 'old school' BUT...I will not allow my kids to run the show or disrespect and adult. I do however believe that kids have opinions that needs to be heard sometimes. That my kids can get away with leaving things laying around(to an extent) because the will do things for me. Example: Kid can leave dirty laundry on the floor in the bathroom but after everyones shower they will clean the entire bathorrom for me I didn't make the ,mess and wasn't a part of the making of it.
I don't believe a kid should be able to get away with laziness but some people are good in some things and some are good in others.
As long as they know how to basically do all that is necessary for survival and decency, then I will allow them to choose what they feel they are best at and we ALL work together as a family to make sure EVERYTHING is getting done as it should be.
I don't think this teaches them how to be waited on, but instead teaches them teamwork and partnership skills that are necessary in any family or place of employment.
I will however agree that you are a saint for putting up with the things you have described and that you do need to set down rules/ limits for your self and the household before this progresses. If you allow yourself to be in this situation as is, you are in for a whole lot more hurt and heartache. I know from experience, been there..still doing that---lol
Good Luck and God Bless
Lisa Dawn

Susanna's picture

When my husband's teen daughter got completely out of hand he was at a loss for how to discipline her. He tried everything and she ignored it. Grounding. No phone, she always found a way around it. Finally he got to the point of smacking her with a belt and I told him he couldn't do it again.

I should have kept my mouth shut. She ended up stopping meth -after- she found out she was pregnant, which is real bad news for baby. She is now on welfare and trying to finish high school at 18. She called to find out why her insurance card no longer works. The insurance card she was provided with because she was a minor no longer work now that she is OFF THE INSURANCE. This gives you an idea of her grasp on the world. The baby's Father is a former drug dealer with multiple violent convictions, I only know cuz he bragged about it at Christmass, who works in fast food. His record will limit him all his life, even the jobs that take felons don't like the violent types.

I feel sorry for the baby and I wish I'd let my hb do what he wanted. Maybe he would have jiggled a few brain cells loose. I'm not condoning extreme violence. I grew up with real violence and that is not a joke, but when someone is self destructing completely there needs to be something done.

Anyway, this is the sort of thing that goes on with undisciplined kids. Only you can know how much you can handle, but I would personally not be down for what you put up with.

Good luck,
Susanna

"One breath at a time is an acceptable plan."
Ani DiFranco

Alysia's picture

As fast as your feet will take you!!! Life is too short, to spend it that miserable. Your gf needs to learn how to be a MOM instead of trying to be her kid's friend all the time.

Sebbie's picture

NCP should have rights too!No offense bnunzio, but before DH and I even discussed living with each other( we did for a year, before marraige) we discussed EVERYTHING imaginable that could and possibly would effect OUR lives together, including discipline of my two children and his one child. We discussed exactly what each of us expected and how we felt punishments should be executed and then we found a meeting ground that was comfortable for us both. In the end, DH and I both punish OUR children and if I do the punishment and there just happens to be a concern or disagreement( like punishment a bit to harsh for the act) then DH discusses this with me in private..Btw, this works in the reverse for him as well. Again, at these times WE discuss each others side and if we cant agree with each other than we find a meeting ground. The point being, no matter what the children do, or dont do for that matter, No matter which of us dishes out the punishment, the main thing is WE show a combined front to the children. Dh and I agree that the children should NEVER see us in disagreement over them or any issue concerning them as this becomes a weapon for them to play agiants us...If you and g.f cannot establish some sort of boundaries and acceptable forms of punishment that BOTH OF YOU will stand by( meaning g.f cannot go ok to you and then let children off) then the children have won and unfortunatly bnunzio...your shit outa luck....move on, there are plenty of other single women/single mothers out there who would not only agree with you but love having a good man in their's and their childrens lives that actually give a damn.

cornell's picture

As a frustrated stepfather and writer I've decided to write about stepchildren from Hell. (not the name) If you would like to participate please email me at cornellmarcom@gmail.com with your stories. First name and last initial will be all that I need except for the state.

If your story is told I will send a copy of the book free of charge.

Thanks,
Bill Cornell