You are here

Child all of a sudden acting rude

lacysue1's picture

My SD is 5 years old and all of a sudden there has been a dramatic change in her attitude. She is in constant competition with everyone to be the center of attention, even to the point where if her dad is talking to someone she will interrupt them just to tell him something completely insignificant (ex. "It's raining). She knows better than to interrupt anyone but all of a sudden, all rules are out the window with her and it's like starting all over. We have been approached by other parents saying she is mean or rude to their kids, her BM has even said that she has been getting in trouble with her for having a bad attitude. Yet somehow her dad still seems to think that if he just gently talks to her that she will behave. It hasn't worked so far and i believe that it's time to start being more stern with her. Also, if he keeps threatening to spank and never does it, then it's not doing any good in my opinion. She already knows how to manipulate him just by giving him a hug and a kiss and saying "I love you daddy" and all is well again. I am not that easy. And she has been very stand-offish to me with affection for a while now anyway. I think it might have to do with the fact that she knows i'm pregnant and that the baby gets talked about a lot. Are they already smart enough to know/be worried that they won't be the center of attention anymore? How can we explain that she is going to have to share more than toys now, she will have to share the spotlight? I don't even know if a 5 year old would understand that. I was brought up very different and it really gets to me when she is rude and it is hard for me to just forget about it instantly. I feel like she is being rude on purpose and it's so hard when my husband doesn't see it the same way. I don't want this to cause problems in our marriage but I will not act like her actions are ok with me when they are not.