You are here

Brushing

elleh60's picture

My 2 step daughter's are in 2nd and kindergarten. They spend one week with Mom and one week with us. When with Mom, they tell me that Mom doesn't let them brush their teeth before school because she can't afford toothpaste. This has been going on for years. I've sent toothbrushes and toothpaste several times. But they move from different couches so often that they never manage to make the move with them. (Mom is a couch surfer.) Dad has told Mom numbers of times that it's important and it needs to be done. And she still neglects to have them do it before school. At what point do I stop sending the toothbrushes and face the fact it's never going to happen? Or do I keep pushing and pushing? 

Yes, we should have full custody, we know. Mom doesn't have a license, or a home, or a car. We just don't have it in the budget to take her to court. And as long as their grandma is in the picture we know they are fed. 

I just need advice for the time being, until we can fight for them. 

SteppedOut's picture

Replacing tooth brushes and tooth paste is a lot cheaper and less painful than dental problems and the associated repairs... and unless you are on a super tight budget, affordable. 

How sad the mother is unable to care for her kids and yet unwilling to let their father. I am not huge on suggesting someone go on public assistance, but why isn't she so she can provide housing? Moving around like that is horrific for kids. 

ndc's picture

Could you send the toothbrushes and toothpaste to school and ask the teacher to allow them to go to the bathroom and brush?  I think teachers are generally willing to go out of their way to help kids who are homeless or in bad home situations.  They just need to know about it.

Exjuliemccoy's picture

What do you mean, it's not in the budget to take BM to court? Where are your boyfriend's standards for his children? Does he have any idea just how at risk his children are? There's a lot more to worry about here than good dental hygiene.

Has Child Protective Services been contacted about BM's cronic homelessness and inability to provide for the skids? Please report this right away (you can do so anonymously). If your bf has been documenting the situation, he should be able to file for emergency custody and represent himself in court.

Saint_Gus's picture

Never. Just keep sending toothoaste and brushes for them. No kid should be without. Around here you can vuy travel tooth brushes and little tubes of tooth paste? Maybe cheaper? Or the dollar store? Or buy in bulk? Its an expense you shouldn't have but just know you're doing the right thing and are the better person

Rags's picture

Put a TB and paste in their school bags and tell them to dry brush their teeth when they can.  No need to send it to the waste of parental flesh BM.

And Keep this POS woman in the CPS RADAR by reporting every couch surfing move and parental failure (brushing teeth, bathing, cleaning clothes, etc.....)

We had to do this with my SS’s toothless moron SpermClan when they would send SS home from visitation  in a loaded diaper, a puss filled welt covered butt and diaper rash so bad his anus would bleed when we cleaned him up.  We finally would just drive straight from the airport to his pediatrician’s office to have it all documented so that we could nail their asses in court.  With limited success but we wanted the courts to know.

ZERO TOLERANCE!

Good luck.

Java_Junkie's picture

If you SEND it, does losermom HAVE THEM USE IT? She sounds like a total loser, so my guess is no.