You are here

ah the lying child

derb84123's picture

What do you all do for lying punishments? What about when you have two kids against eachother and you know one is lying?

We generally give each child the chance to tell their side. We then go over what is wrong with the scenario and what they should have done differently. Give each of them time to confess... when they both stand their ground, we punish them both. I'm not sure that is the right direction to go. It totally sucks for the child who didnt lie, but we have no proof other wise.

They are both at ages where lying is the norm... over things that don't matter at all. its so frustrating! Advice please!

ENuff's picture

Hmmm on the lies ~ n the tangled web they weave.

I would let them stew on it. When they are ready to be honest then discuss it. Of course one is getting in trouble for nothing but in the end it's a lesson learned.

I always say in my house ~ if you lie you are making it way worse than if you come clean. Sure your gonna get punished but hell yes it will be worse with the lies that flow out if your mouth dipshit.

HandOverMyMouth's picture

My SKs really seem to be programmed to lie, even about really stupid things.

One weekend, they lied to me 4 times in a 12 hour period. Worse yet, they lie *for* eachother. I have yet to be able to get them to come clean with anything, and end up calling them out. For example:

*SK1 (13 yo) walks out of bathroom. I walk in and see the toilet unflushed*

Me: hey SK1, did you forget to flush the toilet?

SK1: wasn't *me*....

Me: then who was it?

SK1: I dunno...maybe SK2.

Me: I just watched you come out of the bathroom.

SK1: well it wasn't me.

It's fucking constant: I catch them doing something, and they look me square in the eye and deny it. Like I told their father, I don't talk to people who respect me so little as to lie to me...so I just keep to myself anymore.

Calypso1977's picture

try dealing with a mother who lies to the father for her child, as well as condones and encourages her child lying to her father! great thing to teach your kid!!!

JacksGal's picture

I come from a big family. My sister came up with a genius plan to root out who did the bad thing. She told her kids and all of ours too that their tongues turn black when they lie, but only adults can see the black tongue. Whenever there was a fight, all we had to do was ask them to stick out their tongues after all the finger pointing. The ones who didn't lie stuck them right out. The one who lied... wouldn't. Worked every time like a charm until they hit about the teenage years. Smile