You are here

Help me to understand...

green-eyed.girl's picture

I would like some insight, someone to help me with what I am feeling…

We are going through some rough times right now and the child is placed right in the middle of it all… My SD’s BM is a horrible person… My SD goes to a performing arts school and we have all known about the end of the year trip to Chicago… The cost of this trip was $1,200.00… All through the year they did fundraisers to help with the cost… I should say we did fundraisers… The BM did not do any of them… My SD was extremely busy with her cheering and drama, that the majority of the fundraisers she could not attend due to cheerleading… With all this said, she only raised about $200.00 in fundraising… Which left the balance of $1,000.00 to be paid… Initially the BM would call BF and give him guilt about the trip and how sorry he was for not taking his bonus money and paying for this trip… On and on for months we heard about how she had no funds to contribute and how sorry he was… Along with the Chicago trip all year we have also paid for cheerleading… We contribute to over 95% of the cost for ALL extra-curricular activities…

Now here is my dilemma and my hurt feelings in all this… We paid for the Chicago trip with no help from the BM, and we continue to pay for cheerleading… My SD is leaving next Thursday for the trip and the BM says that I can’t be at the airport… HELLO I help pay for the trip, I would like to see my SD off as well as her biological parents would… I treat her no different than I do my own son (actually we probably do more for her since she is in so many extra-curricular activities)… And that’s another thing…

We were told by the BM that she was putting her back into cheerleading, we expressed that are funds were tight and felt that maybe she should focus more on her performing arts… The BM then states that she will pay for cheerleading… That lasted a month, we get the call to take the daughter to practice… Then the daughter states the only reason mom wanted you to take me is because the monthly payment is due… Imagine that… So we paid as we always do… Then we get a call from the daughter to take her to practice again, we drive over to her house to pick her up and the BM says never-mind I will take her (she said this because I was in the vehicle)… Just this past Wednesday we received a call from one of the parents that the daughter needed to get fitted for her uniform, we take her to get fitted, and one of the parents told us the reason we were not informed via email was because the BM said we were not going to be apart of cheerleading this year…

I’m hurt that I can not be apart of any of these activities, but I’m expected to pay for them… I’m to the point that maybe I should stop paying and my husband and I get separate accounts and let him deal with paying for these activities since I am not to be apart of them… (He basically is at the point to not hurt the child, if I’m there the mother snatches her out or drags her away, so the only one who is hurt is the child). He tells me to try and understand his point about not hurting his daughter, but I’m not the one hurting her, her BM is the one to blame…

Harleygal's picture

if it were me. BM has no right to stop you. However, how does your SD feel about it? I suspect she probably wants you there and in that case I would definitely go. Stay as far away from BM as possible though. Just another case of a BM trying to manipulate if you ask me!

Einstein's definition of insanity is "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

My SD knows that her mom BM is wrong and says so (to us)... But it still bothers her when her BM snatches her or makes a scene in-front of everyone…

Just this past weekend, I drove her home to get her things. When the BM walked outside and saw that I was the one bringing her over to get her things, she walks back inside and tells the daughter to call her dad, he is the one to pick her up because they have plans. The daughter told her mother it’s not your weekend, the daughter walks back outside jumps in my vehicle and says just leave… Later I found out what the BM told her, and I was actually shocked that she said what she did to her BM…

FYI (BF plays in a band and was out of town, we were meeting him, that’s why I took her to her BM to pick up a few items and drop off child support)

Harleygal's picture

I can't believe that BM would act like that especially in front of her child. BM should be grateful to you that you were the one doing the pickup and that she didn't have to. Is she nuts? Especially with gas prices the way they are she should be double grateful. Sounds like you are doing a great job with your SD. Congrats!

Einstein's definition of insanity is "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

chicken little's picture

I am with the first response. I think you should go and always go. Be there for your SD 100%. If the BM says you can not go I would go anyways we live in a free world. I would keep the money together and just pay as normal. I would attend as much as I could in support of my SD. I am sure your SD knows what is going on and she respects you and your nature more than you know. It is not about the BM and BM's just dont get that. It is all about the SD. I would ask your husband to speak with her if in the end it continues to cause problems. You are so great for bitting the bullet time and time again and doing what is best in full for the SD. Congrats!

But my husband tells me that he doesn’t want to cause a scene and doesn’t want his daughter getting on an airplane upset with what would happen if I show up…

When we stand up to her, she doesn’t care who she hurts… It’s all about her, not the child… So since I have a heart and I care, I’m the one who has to suffer…

sparky's picture

Since H is not capable of taking care of business you will have to do it. Stop the money and stop the taxi service. Why can’t you and H have a private get together with her the day before? Why is it necessary for him to go to the airport and be a part of the going away show like she is going to Egypt for a year? I think it’s terrible that he is willing to take your money and not stand up for you and I would put a stop to it.
As long as you are married to the dude his daughter is going to have events that he needs to attend. Is this the way that your life is going to be, never invited to graduations, competitions, showers and weddings?

SerendipitySM's picture

I would stop paying for anything for SD until your DH steps up to the plate and puts that b*tch in her place. You are good enough to pay for all of these extra-curricular activities but are not allowed to be at the airport?? Give me a friggin break....

now4teens's picture

DH has to pay for ALL activites that the girls participate in- and boy, oh boy, do they WANT to do A LOT, so it's not cheap, as we all know! A lot of times, because I would be the principal driver, I would usually be the one to write the check when we got there. OK, never had a problem with it. But I did have a definite problem when crazy BM would start on her power plays about where I could and could not be- just like you, Green-Eyed.Girl.

And that's all it was about- control. (And, in my case a HUGE case of insecurity and jelousy about me). But I made sure to stop it in it's ugly tracks from the get-go. And it all starts with coming together as a united front with your DH. We started to show up at EVERY event with all 5 kids in tow, supporting our new family. And just to show how committed we were to this 'united front' we would always hold hands and show other signs of affection in front of her, which made her just boil (a little plus for me!)

The bottom line is that she has NO say in where you can and can not be. You are in her daughter's life for the long haul, so she's just going to put on her big girl panties and deal with it! Go to every event and be proud of your SDs accomplishments.

"If you have never been hated by a child, you have never been a parent."
-Bette Davis

chicken little's picture

You are so wonderful. Continue to keep your head high. Maybe ask the hubby to call over the phone when you are alone and speak with her. Not that it really would matter. But you need to go in all support for the SD. You are really winning with the one who counts the SD. I promise in the end you will shine and the ex's actions only make her look bad so just be the better parent hold your head high. You will be fine. Just dont let your SD down by not going.

Colorado Girl's picture

First of all, I have green eyes too! We also have in common a BM that we always seem to be respnsible for "making up the difference"...

We don't sign the girls up for anything that we can't afford ourselves. I usually anticipate her being a pain in the arse so I see her reimbursement as more of a "bonus" than her fair contribution. She currently owes us over $150 for sports that were agreed upon and paid for in January. It's also a constant weighing factor when she is trying to squeeze money out of DH..."Well you still owe me for sports, so how about we call it a wash, BM...."

What has worked for us in the past is putting it in writing. Not a contract or anything but more of an overview (receipts/statements included) to include the schedule and the transportation split evenly. This helps her to visualize exactly what the financial and time commitment is going to be. It also can be referenced later when arguing ensues over a payment that has become due that should be paid for by one parent.

I will tell you this. BMs like yours and mine are so unbeliavably transparent in their little fiascos. Like your cheerleading debacle...don't get mad, laugh at her immature attempts and with a smile simply explain to her coach that you will ALWAYS be interested in ANY of SD's activities. Most people will see her for exactly who she is, and eventually probably even your SD. Don't engage in her shennanigans...she will soon tire of baiting arguments that are never going to happen.

Then there is the infamous power struggle of the BM and her demanding an absent stepmom. I say until BM is ready to be a mature adult, don't go. It's like you said, the child will ALWAYS be the loser in this situation if you go. It starts being more about BM and her adverse reaction then about the child. That's not fair in my book. In my situation, sometimes even just the sight of me enraged her. So I decided a long time ago that my SDs deserved TWO happy and healthy parents to attend their games/recitals/conferences/etc. I was the cause of her rage - right or wrong - and I decided to remove the direct cause. Sure it was a sacrifice...but those little girls deserve more than what I have deemed right and fair.

BM is hurt by my presence in the lives of her children. She's hurt when they want me to take part in the important events of their life, and because BM is incapable of being anything more than what she is - she acts out the only way she knows how.

I feel for you. I've been there. I have taken residence on the high road. And I REFUSE to let BM ruin some of the happiest times of my life. She can only control a small portion of my SDs lives, the rest is up to me. So I'll love them on my own time and not worry about the time that is being shared at some soccer game or band recital. They can tell me ALL about it when I see them again.

"For every ailment under the sun....There is a remedy, or there is none;
If there be one, try to find it; If there be none, never mind it." ~ W.W. Bartley

Tara12's picture

You need to have a talk with your DH. I don't know how old your SD is but she sounds like a pretty smart cookie and knows what is going on. She has already formed her opinions it sounds like and knows her dad is a good guy and it sounds like she really likes you. Do not get shoved to the side otherwise as sparky said above everytime your SD has an event you will be excluded. YOU HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO BE WHEREVER YOUR DH IS. Sounds like BM just wants control and your DH is giving it to her. If BM starts acting up she is only going to look like a fool in front of her daughter. Another option which was stated above was why not just do something with her the day before and let mommie dearest take her to the airport - it's not like she is leaving forever. Please talk to your DH and get this straightened out otherwise I fear you will only have more misery ahead of you. GOOD LUCK!!!