You are here

Dealing with a narcissistic non-custodial mother!

Kettlebelle's picture

I was so happy to find this site, and to see that I am not alone! Here's my background:

I'm a 37 year old full-time stepmother of my SD (14), and i also have three bio kids- one son (18) and two daughters (17 & 15).  We live in Louisiana (where my husband is from, but lived in VA before and during his first marriage (producing SD) because he was in the Navy). My husband moved down here to LA after 6 months of LD dating, and we got married a year later. 

When my DH (40) relocated back home to LA in 2011, his ex made it her mission to make his life a living hell. She called and texted non-stop, and would make him "talk to" my SD for a new reason each night- because she wouldn't clean her room, made a bad grade, etc. His ex would tell him he was the reason his daughter was acting out (which she wasn't- it was the behaviour of a normal 7 year old. She would be punished to her room by BM (biomom?) most of the nights he would "fuss at" her. 

After several months of this I told him that if she really had that much trouble being a mother to her child then maybe she should come to live here. When DH mentioned it to her, she immediately agreed. BM has another daughter who is 1.5 years older than SD, and so she kept her and sent SD to live here. 

SD did NOT want to move here, and for the first year it was torture. She loved her mom so much and would cry and say how much she missed her sister and how she wished she was back there. She also got to the point where she said that BM loved her sister more than her. Being a mother of two BD, it broke my heart. I reached out multiple times per week to discuss with BM, and her response was, "She obviously doesn't understand that her sister is punished from the TV" or "Her sister's dad is mad at her, so she's not getting any fun stuff". Not one time did she agree that maybe SD should come back there to live, or that she DIDN'T love the other child more. 

Fast-forward 6.5 years to 2019. SD calls me mom. Calls BM by her first name. Does not want to go to VA to visit because BM outwardly favors other daughter and shames SD for (1) calling me mom (which I never asked her to or implied) (2) being close to my youngest daughter(she tells her that's not her real sister)  and not her own sister, and anything else she can think of. One year SD went to visit for Christmas and she didn't give her a Christmas present because she "made a C on her report card"! In 6.5 years she's gotten her an average of 6% of the time. She leaves her out of large family gatherings, and even lied to her about "no children allowed" at her grandparents' funerals because she didn't want to pay for the flights (SD found the pictures her sister posted online).

The emotional trauma caused to SD is heartbreaking. She hurts so much over the fact that her mother is there with her sister and leaves her out of everything. To make matters worse, BM married the father of her first daughter (she'd cheated on my DH with him throughout their marriage), so the three of them are a big happy family there!

When she sent SD here to live, the agreement was she would pay CS and carry health insurance. She dropped insurance over 2 years ago and never told us! We paid out of pocket because she "requested new cards" or "I don't know why it's saying inactive policy". We threatened to bring her to court if she didn't communicate about the insurance, and she stopped paying child support in October bc she got the insurance reinstated!

One week ago my DH got served with papers- this heartless B is suing us to ONLY have to provide child support! No health insurance, medical bills, school costs, extra-curriculars, etc. We have paid for these things for years (and I've been the one physically responsible for her doing them), and never asked for a dime. Now we are dropping 3k on an attorney (which we really don't have) to protect ourselves.

She's requesting every-other Christmas (which they don't do anything on), and other holidays and 2 months in the summer, and SD does NOT want this. Each time she's there she calls me crying. But BM will NOT acknowledge or apologize for her actions. She tells SD that it's all "in the past" and "get over it". 

Sorry for the LONG rant. I feel like I am about to explode and just want to hear that I am not alone with this- trying to heal a hurting young lady, whom I love so much, from the damage done by her birth mother. 

Thumper's picture

Many of us here can relate to various parts of your post.

I am sorry your dh and his ex have not yet come to a place where a peaceful existence whereby doing right is best for everyone AND is the common goal.

Here are a few things that I have learned along the way.

A child has 1 mother and 1 father. Regardless of what we may think, it is never ok to allow another man or womans child call you Mom or dad. You may have never asked SD to call you mom, but have you told her she has a Mom and you WANT her to  call you by your Firstname?

Kids ,,,(not adults) but kids will not reject a parent unless pathogenic parenting is present.  Kids who are in the hell of Foster Care system still want to return to their druggie parents OR abusive neglectful moms and dads. Have you ruled out possible sexual abuse by anyone living inside the home. Even in those cases many abuse victims have a bond with abusers.

So to say she doesnt want to go to ncp's home, , here in 2019,,,it's not so easy like it was say 5, 10  years ago when EVERY single mom pulled that shit and it worked.

SD would benefit from several sessions with a trained Child Psychologist. I would also recommonend video sessions with bio mom and sd. Technology has provided this option and its wonderful.

Activities: If you are willing to pay for them it is not reasonable to want someone to pay you back.  Give freely or not at all.

Did you hear BM tell sd to put everything in the past and get over it. This needs to be addressed in counseling AND  with BM in session.

Walk very carefully with BM and SD...I know this is very hard for you. You want SD to feel loved and secure, safe and happy. LET a trained therpist address all this with her mom. You need to step back a little.

The courts will deal with cs and insurance issue.

Hang in there!!

Rags's picture

Toxic NCPs can be just as bad as toxic CPs.  Particularly when it comes to shredding a SKid’s heart.

We experienced the SpermIdiots crap as he shredded SS-26’s heart for the 16+ years that we all lived under the CO.  The SpermIdiot  had 7wks  of visitation per year and saw the SKid no more than a day or two of that time.  SS was usually pawned off on  the SpermClan Greatgrandparents and when they passed then on his SpermGrandParents.   

SS and SpermIdiot spawn  #2 detest their father.  The two youngest of the 4 all out of wedlock SpermIdiot spawned half sibs are living his dream of being gangbangers.  

Yes. Toxic NCPs can destroy kids.

Thumper's picture

Yes they can Rags, and it is awful !!