You are here

BM discontinued ADHD meds

Other Dad's picture

My ex - BM of my kids, discontinued ritalin for my teenage son.

Very frustrating. His bad behavior dropped right off when he was on them. 

She is crazy (really) 

Working on getting him back on them. But she has the kids more than I do. 

Dogmom1321's picture

SD11's BM does the same thing. SD can't stay on the meds consistently. It's only hurting her in the long run. BM doesn't understand that for the medication to work correctly, it has to stay in their system. Also, many people just think "school and grades" when it comes to ADHD. So BM doesn't "get it" that SD needs to take the medication in the summer also. ADHD manifests itself in many different ways in teens. Impulsive behavior can lead to more driving accidents and sexual promiscuity. Not to mention to regular day-to-day things that teens need to do just to function, ex: finish a task, 

SD11 is extremely confrontational and argumentative when she is not on her meds. The constant banter gives her brain the stimulation it needs. Without her meds, SD behavior is awful. 

LittleCloud9's picture

I really feel for you. Our BM did the same thing serveral times over the years. Last time was when SS was 10. She unilaterally decided a very strict diet was the answer instead of the meds his doctor had carefully helped us get adjusted. BM apparently felt that maintaining this diet across two households and at school for an impulsive young boy would be no problem. I tried to be open minded about it at first until I learned from DH how many times she had pulled this crap before. The worst part was that when she was tired or busy she had no problem with forgetting about the diet and just feeding him whatever. Within weeks of stopping the meds SS was in serious trouble, like 'both parents called to the school have a chat with an officer' kind of trouble. Off the meds and working really hard with him, he still had on average 2 detentions a week. Impulse control is a huge struggle for many ADD kids and the consistent medication really can help them with being able control their behavior better. In the end SS came to live with us full time and immediately went back on the meds. He is now happy, healthy and on honor roll. Some people may be able to have good results from diet or other non medication methods but that doesn't work for everyone. A rigid diet for children who live in multiple homes plus school sounds intensely challenging at best. Unfortunately if one parent refuses to give the child the meds it can tie your hands as most of the time they really need to be on a consistent schedule with their medication. It's immensely frustrating when you know something is working and helping your child and the other parent just decides to throw it away.

Thumper's picture

I remember when AHDH meds were only suposed to be given when the child was in school.

NO weekend meds, NO summer meds, no meds during holidays...JUST during school days.  

Hey, at least your bm isnt selling them OR using it for a buzz.

Some parents do.

I guess you could file a motion with the court if you wanted to.

justmakingthebest's picture

SS21 is ADHD and my BS15 is non-hyperactive ADD. 

The difference on and off Adderall for both of them is like night and day. SS21 paces, is irritable and can't follow through the most basic tasks (He is also Autistic which complicates things more for him).

BS15's brain goes on hyper drive without them. We didn't use to force him on the weekends or summer but now that he is driving- he isn't safe on the road. That joke with ADD kids and seeing a squirrel- that is FOR REAL! A group of geese hanging out on the side of the road almost caused a serious accident! 

In school, BS was all of a sudden in 3rd grade getting C's. He is "gifted" and off the charts smart. It didn't make sense. The grading rubrics changed and teachers had to call him on the little mistakes and lack of completion, whereas before everyone KNEW that he knew the information- so that S kept popping on his report card. After talking to his teacher and his doctor- we decided that giving meds a try was worth it. He was up to straight A's but the next interim. He is also the kid who was in all AP classes, Trig and German 3 as a freshman. He is smart and motivated, but without help, he fails. We have tried several times to give it a breaks for a few weeks and it just hasn't worked for him yet. Not saying that he won't be able to get off in the future but at school, it isn't worth the fall out. 

I understand you wanting your son to be on the medication. The only thing I can suggest is that you leave the Rx with the school nurse during the year and letting teachers know to send him to the clinic first thing. 

Other Dad's picture

BM would block any initiative to get round her. 
she has a personality disorder so a huge pain in the ass to interact with. 
my kid needs meds for school

I'm working on it

Rags's picture

My BFF's eldest refuses to take his meds.  He has full USMC disability after only 2-3 years of service.  He enlisted after graduating with honors from a top tier university business school with s BS in international business.  He could not focus or keep his shit straight to  maintain a professional career.  He is now homeless and a transient beach bum in Mexico, Central and S. America.  He is a graduate of the Armed Forces Language School in  Monterrey  CA and is fluent in several languages including Spanish.  Every time the phone rings his parents fear that it is the call informing them of his demise.

He travels home a couple of times per year to do his VA and USMC check ins, he will drop in with his parents for a few days then disappears South.

He is in his 30s and there isn't anything his parents can do.

I got him a great job with my then  employer's S. American sales team in Argentina.  He took the job for a few months then just walked out and disappeared for a year or more.