You are here

In your opinion

skidsmarks's picture
Forums: 

Would disengaging be difficult for someone who is very controlling?

Rags's picture

Yes.

skidsmarks's picture

Thank you guys for your responses. Being a step parent has probably been the biggest dissapointment of my life so far. I went in with such high hopes since my step dad was such a huge part of my life, and I jave finally come to accept that my step daughter and I are not close, and will not be close for a very long time. so much damage has happened over the last 2 years and its just so hard. I dont know how to not take things personally. she lies all the time. and I really cant stand that. But I have been trying to disengage and its going better than it has been in the past, thats for sure. So i have some hope that we'll all at least get to a point where things are more stable and we arent all stressed out and pissed off all the time. 

Birdy's picture

Step parenting is the hardest thing ever. I dont hold out hope for the time when there isnt stress and disharmony in my home whilst I am in this relationship. 

notasm3's picture

I am a big time planner - which also makes me be controlling.  But I also know what I can control. Things (or people) that I cannot change when they need changing to be acceptable to me I tend to just dismiss.  When I decided that ss34 was worthless I just removed him from my life 100%.  I have zero control over him so I now have zero interaction with him as his actions are so unacceptable.