You are here

What has kept you going?

sammigirl's picture
Forums: 

On a different post here; sandye21 posed a question; "what has kept you going".  This makes for a very good forum.

I'm interested in your answers to this question.  It would give us all insight to "what has kept us going"?

My answer:  This site is #1.  My love for my DH #2.  My goal to stay above my grown SD's gutter games #3.  KARMA #4.

From your gut...."What keeps you going"?

StepUltimate's picture

In a way, my prayers & posts are similar because I'm describing things (to you on ST) and requesting resolutions & harmony (from God). Both communications provide pressure-relief for me, and help me to go on and focus on other things in life, and help me maintain a grateful attitude rather thsn an anger/resentment party. 

Areyou's picture

I wish I had more patience for dysfunction. I think that’s how marriages last. People have to be ok with dysfunction. Why I’ve stayed for over two years? I think for the company and the sex. He also helps me a lot with DD. I also enjoy my relationships with his extended relatives. His math for the future always depends on how old SD is. It’s her age minus 18 until we are free of problems. The other kids are no problem. I will hang on for a little bit longer but not forever. 

fairyo's picture

I couldn't keep going,

I had to leave. 

What keeps me going now is knowing I did the right thing- there have been no messages of any meaning from theX- if he misses me (and he must, as I do him) then he has not communicated that to me and after four months I doubt he ever will.

What keeps me going now?

My work- I enjoy it more, do it better, because I need to.

My friends-invaluable loyalty, humour and total acceptance of my position.

My family, again total loyalty ,a smidgen of craziness, but heaps and heaps of love that I had never realised I missed.

My faith and belief in that, for reasons best known to the Almighty, it was the right thing to do.

My sense of self worth- that I would not spend a minute longer in the company of a man who brought no joy to  my life.

And the wonderful people on here, to whom I turned when I felt so lost and bewildered, but who made me believe in myself again and have the courage to make the choices I needed to make.

sammigirl's picture

I've followed your posts fairyo; you did what was right for you and I totally understand.  I think I would have left years ago, if I had known the full truth about the betrayal that was taking place.  I was busy with all of the things you listed here and totally missed the red flags.  

I have never loved anyone as much as I love my DH.  Now he is totally disabled and needs me.  Even though he probably deserves to be out, I just don't have the heart to mistreat him, as he mistreated me and I know the pain.  

I have survived the betrayal, my SD57's wrath, and I have regained my self respect by doing all of the things you are now doing.  You put yourself first and this is what I have accomplished the past few years. 

It is a difficult issue, "stepmother" roll.

fairyo's picture

Sammi I have nothing but admiration for your courage and intelligence, now we have been apart four months I can see very clearly that theX never really loved me, I loved him but not that deeply- I have been in love and never felt the same with him. He once told someone that I was his soul-mate (must have been in the early days!) and I remember thinking- 'you're not mine.' We never had that much in common. In the end we mis-treated each other, and now it has stopped.

Sammi you have earned your peace and owe no one any explanations. I live my life the same way... I should have done it years ago!

Take care and lots of fairy hugs to you ((((hugs))))

Maxwell09's picture

The reminder that this is not infinite. Eventually the bubble will burst and everything will fall where it will and life will go on. Eventually BM will hold no value in our lives and SS will have made his choice one way or the other. While I hope we will have a symbiotic relationship with both by the time SS is an adult, I don't have high hopes and I will always keep my BS as my priority when it comes to protecting him from Steplife fall out. 

Aniki-Moderator's picture

My love for DH, disengagemnt, and the fact that we work things out. The SDs are rarely around, SS19 has been home twice in the last year (since joining the Army), and PigPen doesn't always come for the entire weekend. It's gotten much better!

As and, of course, STalk!!!

sammigirl's picture

Ours moved in as Teens.  But we survived it with lots of patience.  It's not fun!

I did all the things that fairyo mentioned in the post above to get through it.  My SD was working so hard to destroy our marriage, I was too busy to see it at the time.  So we made it!

The SDs were pretty much PAS'd and trained by BioHo to see DH as an ATM. They only come around when they want money. At one point, 'Ho was using SD22 (then 16) as a pawn to try and guilt DH into giving her more money. 'Ho would tell SD crap which SD has no buisness knowing, then send SD over (because 'Ho was not allowed in our home) to SCREAM at DH that he NEEDED to give MOOOOOOOMMMMMY more money because I WANT $120 SNEAKERS and MY JEANS COST $100. MOOOOMMMMMMY says you don't give her enough money.

No, DH did NOT give 'Ho enough money because 'Ho was busy spending CS on 'Ho maintenance in order to snag a new man. Weekly mani/pedis/ regular hair appointments (gotta keep those roots dyed), $$$ clothing (the skids wear Walmart, but 'Ho wears designer label), and $$$ gas-guzzling cars.

sammigirl's picture

Our teens all moved in, because they couldn't stand to live with BM.  She attempted all the go between games.  It just didn't work, because DH and I just ignored it all.  We had a blocked phone to BM too.  We paid for anything they needed, while at our house, no extra to BM. 

If they needed school clothes, we took them shopping; if they needed groceries while in college, we went with them to the store and paid for what they needed.  These games, such as you are saying here, are just that "games".  Eventually our teens figured it out. 

SD57 didn't even cross the line where $$$$ was concerned.  SD was always jealous of me and even told me so; but she claims she dislikes BM more than she dislikes me; whatever!

We've been married 38 years and we have NEVER played the $$$$/kid games.  When they come to us with wants and needs, we took care of the needs; we never handed anyone, including the teens $$$$; not saying we didn't do extra, we did, when it was needed.

Needs and wants are two different things. SDthen16 did not NEED $120 sneakers - she WANTED them. She did not NEED $100 jeans - she WANTED them. Sheesh, DH wears $25 sneakers!

Any time the skids (the boys, since the SDs never came) were with us and NEEDED something, DH bought it. SSthen15's shoes were falling apart so DH took him AND PigPen out for new ones. DH has also bought things they wanted, but the boys have NEVER asked DH to buy them anything. Not one thing. They are not like their money-grubbing, mini BioHo sisters.

Kes's picture

When things were at their worst with the SDs and my DH was fawning on them at my expense, then this site kept me going.  Things changed in 2013 and DH had a bit of a Eureka moment and realised how his daughters were playing him.  

He regrets how he allowed them and NPD BM to treat me, and things are a lot better since they stopped coming EOW.  I wouldn't say it "keeps me going" but I get a lot of schadenfreude now from looking at NPD BM's car crash life. 

Perilousenvy's picture

At the moment nothing is keeping me going. The relationship is miserable. How much longer can I wait for things to improve

sammigirl's picture

I read your post.  You are in the right place here.  

Communication with your partner and listening is an art. 

Stay here and keep us posted.  This is an excellent site!

decofru's picture

My love for DH, the company and the love making. Its no secret a good man is hard to find especially one who loves you and isnt using you and playing games. DH is a good man and a good dad to our boy and i would sacrifice my happiness for my boy to grow up with his dad, they have a perfect relationship and i dont want to mess that up. I am also hoping for a change, that one day BM will take her child and relocate to a far away country or our finances balance and we can afford to send SS to boarding school.

gaviotas's picture

Great words. Exactly the way I think. I dream about BM gets a job in another galaxy, well paid and dissapears from our life. 

We still have a restraining order against her (she broke in our home and attacked us). So it gives me time to enjoy her silence

sammigirl's picture

Good for you!  I had a similar situation with BM.  I sent Law Enforcement to talk to her or I would press trespassing charges.  BM has stayed away from me for 38 years.   BM didn't even know me, because DH and BM were divorced when I met DH; but she didn't want DH to have a life. 

Problem solved, when the rules were enforced.  Good job!

TwoOfUs's picture

This site...

My love for and ability to communicate with my DH (most of the time) 

my DHs...um...skills ;-) 

And, to be brutally honest. The love and respect and appreciation that my in-laws have for me...and knowing that they plan to leave us / me a lot of money. That may sound horrible...but I couldn’t afford my husband if his parents weren’t there with their yearly gift and that safety net...as much as I might love him...

sammigirl's picture

All the different reasons here are interesting.  I read them over every day.  

Each of you have different circumstances, thus leading to different ideas, emotions, and solutions.  It is extremely informing.  

Thank you for being here for us.

Nottakingit's picture

SO is my soulmate, I never believed in soulmates but I knew he was "the one who got away", no man ever measured up to him. After life dragged us apart and we got through a bad marriage each(his abusive enough to cause ptsd) we ended up back together and married. His grown/almost grown children have severe issues from their dysfunctional upbringing but SO works hard to listen and work together with me and puts our marriage first. It took lots of therapy, compassion and patience to help him see many of the issues with his children and learn how to deal with them. Stress triggers his epilepsy and he realized many seizures occurred immediately after dealing with his kids' drama and abuse. I've watched him work hard and I've seen that my input is important to him. If neither of those were true I wouldn't be so willing to work through these things. I have a feeling his kids are always going to give me reason to post here but he is very worth it to me. Having a place to vent really helps!!

Merry's picture

I love my DH. We have a great life together. Sure, he makes me crazy. And he's made me crazy to the point where I considered leaving the marriage, over a couple of different issues, and he knew it. But we've worked through them, with the help of good therapists. If DH hadn't been willing to do the hard work to get his head on straight, I would have been gone. We both put the marriage first, and we're ridiculously happy.

sammigirl's picture

"We both put the marriage first" is what makes it work.  

After a long difficult road to recovery, my DH is finally putting our marriage first, most of the time.  That said, I will never trust him and SD57, I will never re-engage with SD57 or any of her immediate family, and I learned to separate it all from our marriage.  My DH took too long to "put our marriage first", but it is workable from this day forward.  It is very different and will never be what it should have been.  I lost trust, respect, and the deep love I had for DH.  I love him, but it's a different love.  I believe what I feel for him is a "caring love".  

We are doing well, but our marriage is more of a caring/convenience.  

Now I am trying to divert the hate I have for my SD57 and forgive for the betrayal both DH and SD inflicted upon me.  I have made a new life for myself; when I feel the extreme anger for the past years, I move forward and don't live in the past.

Not an easy task, but will always be on this site for support.

Rags's picture

My bride and I are a team.  She is incredible.  She makes me a better man and I try every day to show her what she is to me.  That just about sums it up for me.

That and I am stubborn.

sammigirl's picture

I know the stubbornness is what gave me strength.  I understand "stubborn" for sure Rags.  

When you love someone it is just a hurdle, really not an effort.  My SD has been and will always be the "effort". 

I follow your posts and you are an inspiration to the other side of the coin.  Glad you are here!

Rags's picture

Thanks Sammi.

Sometimes I get weary of saying the same things repeatedly here and in other SParent communities I have been a part of.  But... when I look at my wife, my kid (Skid), our life together and how our connection and effort has worked out for us I think it is important to share.

To me, most situations very quickly filter down to a behavioral common denominator.  Addressing the perpetrator of that behavior is my go to advice.

Thanks again and take care of you.

sammigirl's picture

It is very important to share information here and anywhere you are involved.  It is extremely helpful to me and others here. 

I also believe in addressing the perpetrator; it took this site to teach me that technic.  I've always been up front and to the point, even to the perception of being a cold person.  Now I am more on top of the small issues that end up making big issues a crisis.  

Thank you for your input here on ST.  I will be here forever, for sure.

sandye21's picture

7 1/2 years ago I thought the marriage was going to end in divorce - and at that point I really didn't care.  I had gone through 20 years of emotional abuse from SD and DH.  I was already over-saturated so when SD had her meltdown our marriage hit bottom.  If DH had not agreed to work on the marriage he would have been gone.  At that point, and with help of a therapist, something awoke in me - like a fire.  Maybe it was fight or flight but I was ready to fight to reclaim myself. 

That was when I found Steptalk and a wonderful post by Rags about marriage being an equal partnership and top priority.  I printed it out and let DH read it.  I could see the light go on in DH's eyes - and he hasn't been the same since.

It took a while, an everlasting goal is never instant.  But eventually, I found myself and DH turned into a wonderful husband.  By finding myself, I learned to let go of trying to control others or take on responsibility for them. 

I will always be thankful to Rags, Sammi, and others on this site.  As Rags wrote, I remain on this site, writing the same things over and over, but when there is a 'newbie' who is in the same place I was 7 1/2 years ago, I know there can be a tiny light of hope which can intensify and grow into something beautiful - whether it means remaining and improving the marriage or discovering the real you on your own.  What keeps me going?  Being true to myself.  (((HUGS)))

sammigirl's picture

This site is a process of maturity; you can read it in the posts.  Thank you for your wisdom.

still learning's picture

I am comfortable with DH and our life together.  We have future plans as a couple that do no include ss's. It pisses ss33 off that I took DH's name and we are happy together, in a way that spurs me on >:-)

sammigirl's picture

This raises another question in my mind.  I have never understood why they (your ss33) do not want their parents to be happy????  If he is happy, the skids should be happy.  You are not taking anything away from them, making their parent happy, you are giving them a happy father or mother.  

It baffles me.  I had two SM's.  My Father was a happy man, I didn't give it a second thought.  Thus, if I had disrespected my SM's, my Father would have put "me" on the back burner.  It never crossed my mind to stick my nose into my Father's life.

Jealousy Ugh!

still learning's picture

Unhappy lonely dad was living with and supporting ss. Married happy dad put his focus on me and moved me in which displaced grown ss29 at the time.  DH chose to share with life with a grown woman rather than his grown man child *shocking* for poor ss. Plus someone else was making dad happy beside him and BM. 

hereiam's picture

What has kept me going?

My love for DH but probably more importantly, his love for me. He adores me and literally treats me the same as he did 21+ years ago. He is my best friend...with benefits.

My SD has never really been a problem in our relationship. If anything was going to cause me to run, it would have been BM. But DH has always kept his promise that he would not let her use their daughter to manipulate him. So, as much trouble as she has tried to cause, she has never succeeded in causing a rift between us.

mathfed's picture

My firm belief that my wife and I are supposed to be together is what keeps me going.  We've been friends since we were kids, and found each other again after our previous relationships imploded.  We took separate paths in the early part of our lives, but somehow found each other again.  For as long as I've known her, I've known she is someone I could always go to.  When my 20-year marriage was falling apart, and I was flabbergasted at what my crazy ex was doing, it was my friend (now my wife) that helped guide me out of that craziness.  My ex was gaslighting the hell out of me, and my wife saw right through it.  Somehow, I just knew she could point me in the right direction, and she did.

I'll never forget how nervous and excited I was when my wife and I met again for the first time after being apart for so many years.  We still lived in different states at the time.  I flew her here to spend a week with me around New Year's.  I stood in the airport, and watched her plane pull up to the gate.  I was so nervous and excited that my hands were shaking.  She had to come down a small escalator to get inside the airport.  I stood at the base of the escalator, watching people's feet, then their legs, then the rest of them, waiting for one of those people to be her.  It finally was.  She looked at me, and I looked at her, and that was it.  She said "hi baby", I gave her a hug and a kiss, and we held hands as we walked out of the aiport.  We were like two gears that finally found what we're supposed to fit into.  We've since traveled all over the world, and have had a lot of fun making up for lost time.   

My wife's youngest son has tried every trick he can think of to break us apart.  He hasn't been successful.  I'm so disengaged from him now that he isn't really even on my radar.  My wife and I are happy, she now deals with her son without pulling me into the middle of his tornado, and our marriage is on solid ground.      

Rags's picture

I get it. And I applaud you and your bride for making each other and your marriage your unchallenged top priority.

This same methodology has worked like a charm for my bride and I for 24 years and counting. We both brought our experiences of toxic prior relationships to the table but we also both learned from those experiences and how not to do it this time around.

Congratulations to you and  your bride.

Disillusioned's picture

Just reminding myself where it's all coming from (where OSD and SIL are concerned) 

I spent so many years trying so hard to have decent relationships with them and filled with so much hurt, confusion and anger at their rejection and constant need to humiliate me in any way they could

When I finally caught on that their behaviours were all based on insecure jealous competitiveness and that it wasn't that I didn't measure up or was lacking somehow but just the opposite, just my presense in DH's life made them feel like THEY didn't measure up or were somehow inferior, I stopped feeling bad about myself or humilated by their actions any longer

Now I simply hold my head high, at every outright immature, nasty and vengeful thing they do

I also stopped caring a long time ago what they think of me, or anything at all about them or their lives to be honest

Since my FIL passed away, I hear absolutely nothing about what is going on in their lives, I have pretty much no contact and I'm a whole lot less stressed these days!

marblefawn's picture

I have no job, my degree is totally obsolete and all my work experience was in an industry that disappeared when the Internet came.

I am so goddamn stuck.

sandye21's picture

That's just pain awful to feel stuck like that.  Do you have any hobbies or interests that you could expand on?  Just finding something to make you feel good about what you're doing for a while?  I found painting - not that it would support me but it gives me a feeling of accomplishment.  How about you?  (((HUGS)))

marblefawn's picture

Awwww, thanks, you guys.

Yes, I have really excelled at spending down time! I learned electrical wiring to change out all my outlets. I remodel the house. I travel. I read like crazy. I just started trying to write short stories like Raymond Carver. I'm going to gold leaf a barrel-vaulted ceiling in my house. And I have the most excellent dog...he's a dreamboat!

But I really miss my vocation. I keep thinking it's time to go back to school so I can get out of this situation if I need to. Just knowing I could would make me feel empowered. It's so hard to find something that guarantees a job these days, though.

It'll get better. Just having a rough weekend. Nothing spending some $$$ won't fix Smile

2Tired4Drama's picture

Just the fact you changed out some wiring is more than most people can do!  Don't know where you live but if it's anywhere in the U.S. there is bound to be work for someone with your talents.  

Like you, I miss my old vocation but the fact is it has also changed so much that I simply couldn't keep up with it anymore - nor did I want to.   So I am thinking outside the box, to include doing volunteer work (using some of my old work skills) and learning new ones!

Think outside the box - for example, there is going to be  HUGE growth in senior care careers.  (The baby boomers are aging!)   Things like helping seniors with minor repairs, driving them to do shopping, helping with their pet care, etc.   Sound familiar?  And yes, you can earn good money doing so!

Best wishes and hang in there!

sammigirl's picture

marblefawn:  "rough days" are all part of the healing process; I still have rough days.  I wake up and realize it's going to be a challenge, so I take on the challenge and try to accept it for what it is.  Then I read on here every day for support. 

As for your past; if you want to go back to school, please do it.  I have always found that doing something for yourself will begin a new process of positive production.  It doesn't matter to the extent of helping yourself, it's the fact that you are taking the steps forward.

Stay here, move forward and look forward for "you".

(((hugs)))

Cover1W's picture

I haven't answered this because it's thought-provoking. 

What keeps me going:

• I love DH.  He's kind, smart (yes, really), and wants to do good.  He treats me very well overall.
  • DH is learning.  He's working on his issues, has a counsellor.  He's helping me more and more.
  • SD12 is a great kid.  I could care less right now about SD14, but SD12 has always been a good kid and it's going to be nice seeing her grow up.
  • DH and I can talk - there's not much resentment that builds up because we can see it happening with each other and we'll have it out.
  • I like just doing things with DH, most things anyway. 
  • My sister is a great listener - she's not a SM but she gets it.
  • Two of my good friends are SMs and have been through the teen issues - albeit with boys but they give good feedback and advice.
  • My kitties!  They are always glad to see me, love me, and snuggle when necessary. They don't talk back much unless I've messed up by not petting them enough.  Unconditional loves.
  • I really like where we live and I have a good job.  However, once SD12 is 18 and moves out (I expect she'll be with us still by then) then we are going to re-evaluate our needs together. DH will be that much closer to retirement (but he'll never be able to due to $$) age and it'll be another stage for us.

sammigirl's picture

Cover1W: You have very positive support, including this site.  

This is exactly what keep me going, is the friends, family, this site, and of course my pets that keep me going.  

If you have all the support mentioned, it seems to take a turn for improvement in the problem areas.  At least my marriage has survived and I didn't think that was possible. 

The teen years are very rough, you will do fine.

((((hugs))))