You are here

Trying to break it to my husband

Biostep7777's picture
Forums: 

I'm done. I want nothing to do with stepkids. There are so so sooo many reasons but if I don't disengage I'm literally going to lose my mind. My husband wants the Brady bunch. He wants us all to be one big happy family. It's never going to happen. He loves my kids and is very involved in their lives and even gets along great with their dad (who is an amazing father) however, I feel completely different about his kids. They are the rudest most entitied selfish negative children I have ever met and my stomach is in knots every time they are here. I need to disengage from them, from this lawsuit he is in and concentrate on myself, my work and my kids. But, how do you tell your SO you can't stand to be around the kids?? I can't imagine him saying this to me about my kids, I would be hurt!  So, how do you tell your SO that you need to have as little contact with his/her kids as you possibly can for your own mental health?? I don't even want to talk to them because everything out of their mouth is negative. DH sees it but always says they are caught in the middle of here and their mom and they are trying to please her and yadda yadda! He does see their behavior but if he corrects them they scream and cry and even he's at a loss. Which isn't my problem 

ESMOD's picture

Well,  You said it yourself.. if he told you the same about your kids.. you would be hurt.  In fact, if your partner told you they didn't like your children.. in fact maybe even hated them.  Would you continue to subject your kids to a toxic environment and make them live with someone that hated them?

You will have to be very careful how you deal with this because it could mean the end of your relationship with your DH.

We have had posters here who have done their "grand flounce" and announced disengagement from their Skids only to find that their partner does a 180 with their (the kids of the one announcing disengagement) children..and stops having a positive relationship.. 

Please don't discount the very real possibility that your DH may have some not positive opinions of your own kids and that he will resent this stance after "all he has done" to try to foster a relationship with yours.. while you don't give his kids the same courtesy.

Disengagement is not just refusal to deal with the kids.. it's getting yourself to a point where you don't "care" about what happens with them beyond the point where it directly impacts your life.. breaking things.. stealing etc.. It may mean you don't go out of your way to do things with and for "just his kids".. unless it is under the umbrella of doing the assist to help you husband.. who is also helping with your own kids.  It may mean putting your own focus on your kids.. doing things with them while your DH does things with his own.  It may mean that you are kind and cordial to them in your home.. but stop having expectations that they are obligated to reciprocate.  Let your DH deal with forgotten birthdays (of his.. why care if they wish you one?)  Let your DH deal with buying gifts.. and when vacation time comes.. make sure that if it is a larger family vacation.. you have ways of getting a break.

And... perhaps therapy for you.  Remember.... you will get peace from understanding the things you can and cannot change.. that you can't force others to act how you want.. only your reaction.  You can to an extent choose to focus on the positive (and they haven't killed anyone.. so there's that right?).. and not dwell on the negative.

So... don't tell your DH any of this... the only thing it is likely to do is put a crack in your relationship that is likely to widen over time.  As situations come up... like christmas... "honey.. I will shop for my kids.. you can shop for yours.. let's do a 150 per child limit ok?"  Or.. "sorry.. I can't run them to their practices... can you try to find another parent that could do it.. maybe pay them for the trouble?

Biostep7777's picture

I don't hate them!!! I do hate their behavior though and that's what I need to get away from. They are children. I could never hate a child but their behavior is repulsive. 

ESMOD's picture

I get that.. but you have to tread lightly because as a parent... you may say one thing and he will hear "you hate my child".. 

so quietly try to manage it so that you have less enmeshment with their lives.. like the travel ball.. I would just resolve to use that time to enrich my own kid's lives...

tog redux's picture

Good for you! You've been giving this all too much head space. Tell him that you are taking care of yourself and need space from all the drama. He really has to take off his rose-colored glasses.  His kids may not be to blame for how BM behaves and poisons them, but that doesn't make them less difficult to be around. You aren't obligated to twist yourself into a pretzel pretending it's all okay, like he does. 

These kids are being heavily damaged by BM and sooner or later they will likely be totally alienated. My SS21 has been so damaged by BM that even DH doesn't like him much. 

Just stand up for yourself and your needs. If he doesn't have the empathy to realize how his kids affect you, then you have larger issues.

Biostep7777's picture

I know I have. I think a big reason is because his ex makes him seem like an awful parent (which he isn't) and I take that personally as if I would choose a man to be around my kids who is an awful parent so I want to prove (not to her, her opinion means nothing to me) to people that do matter (therapists, teachers, the judge, kid's friend's parents)  that we are good parents. I realized why I feel the need to do this. Because I have kids too and I'm scared to death people are going to believe her and it will hurt my kids (friends parents may believe HCBM lies and won't let their kid come over, therapists may believe her and take the sk away from DH if we are not "perfect") all of this is anxiety though and not reality. I realized I can't make things perfect, I can't make stepkids into people that they aren't and yeah, that might make our family "look bad" if they are screaming and crying because DH asked SS to share his markers. Gezz! I can't make the picture perfect Brady bunch family and if people believe BM I can't control that either. I can't care about things out of my control anymore and the kind of people my sk are is out of my control. All I can do is stay away from the negativity and concentrate on myself, my kids, my work and my relationship with DH. I don't know how this looks yet or how to explain this to him but if I don't do this I'm going to lose it and my kids need a healthy mom.

tog redux's picture

Yes, at some point I realized that even if others believed BM, I knew the truth, period, and I could get by with that knowledge. BM here was great at looking good herself and making DH look bad, but anyone who knew us knew the truth. So if people believe BM, that's on them. 

Blended4213's picture

I can relate to this 100%. I don't like others to think poorly of me because if my stepkids. I am so proud when others compliment my bio kids' behavior. It shouldn't matter so much to me but it does. I've worked hard and am proud of my parenting. Now others see my stepkids and probably assume they are my kids and I'm a shitty parent. I really don't like to go out in public with them because if this. Even our neighbors who had a party pre-Covid and invited us all over, I wanted to shout "this one's not mine!" I was so embarrassed by their behavior and they surprisingly never asked us over again.

We shouldn't care so much what others think. And the stepkids are zero reflection on us. Just keep focusing on what you can control, yourself and your own kids. It is still hard to be around entitled, rude kids and I look forward to the times they are with TM.

The hard part is DH really likes my kids too. The feelings aren't reciprocal with his. It's a tough spot to be in.

Lilmama's picture

I feel this! My sd doesn't eat, dresses like a slob and is scared of everything. Shes also behind in school and when we are out w her, I also have the urge to put a sign on her saying " I didn't make this kid!!!" 

GrudgingSM's picture

So, I've watched your frequency of comments really go up lately. You're stressed to the max. You were caring so much. These kids are so tiring. But also look at how kind of you to in the end still be worried about how DH will take it. And the answer is probably not great, but that's OK, those are his feelings, and they're valid. Just as yours are valid. It's hard when a blended family doesn't feel the same way about each other's kids. And there may even be a fighter to you about it. But that doesn't mean you should stuff your feelings down in preference of his. That doesn't mean you should keep that kind of secret in your relationship about how you feel. He also can't do anything to change circumstances if he doesn't know how you feel. He may not like it, but he can also do things that help foster more independence for you or run interference when his kids need something and try to come to you. I personally think it's important that he knows. But that's how I do it in my relationship so naturally I think it's great! also from someone who's been pretty upfront about not liking or wanting more time with the kids, I can say that after a rocky patch with that, it really has been so so much better. He doesn't push me to spend more time together when they're around and stuff like that. We also kind of sketched out what actions I felt I was willing to do and what actions I felt I wasn't. I don't have control over my feelings, but I do have control over my actions. And I was able to be really clear but what I felt fit in my role, and what I wanted to be excused from. But again, his feelings are not more important than yours! You seem really exhausted, and you don't have to be brutal about it, but I think you need to tip your hand a little and let him know how overwhelming this has been for you.

Biostep7777's picture

Yup! TOO THE MAX!! I was posting a lot about court stuff but the last few days I have come to realize my focus is not where it should be. Yeah, I'm  very open and honest and truth be told, he will support me, I know this! But, yeah I just posted about feeling a lot of resentment and I'm going to start (hopefully try not to blow up this site as I have been the last couple of weeks...HAHAHA) focusing my energy elsewhere. 

tog redux's picture

Yes, and OP - he should be grateful you are willing to stick with him through all of this mess. 

Biostep7777's picture

He doesn't see it. He thinks because I knew this when we got married I should accept it 

tog redux's picture

Yeah, that's crappy. You knew he had kids, but you didn't know he'd end up in a court battle with his loony ex.  Nor just how awful his kids were going to be.

My DH has said repeatedly that he appreciates my sticking with him through all that's happened. 

justmakingthebest's picture

I don't think it is something you sit down and discuss. Just start making yourself and your kids unavailable for the majority of the times when his kids are there. Sorry, the can't join you but they should go enjoy the day together. Start small and  build. It will become habit on both yours parts.

Biostep7777's picture

That makes sense although I think he might wonder what's up. Plus my kids love their step sibs (which makes things even harder trying to teach my kids their behavior isn't okay) so they do want to spend time with them but  I'll definitely think on that and find ways to distance ourselves a bit. My kids and I did a lot of volunteering until Covid but more opportunities may be opening back up so that will be a good thing to do since SK have zero interest in helping others. Eww. I wish I could have a better relationship with them but it's just never going to happen. They have made it clear they will not show respect and kindness and either DH disciplines them and they manipulate him by crying or he does nothing because he doesn't even realize the behavior is crappy. Usually I point it out but no more. If they are disrespectful I'm going to tell them MYSELF to not disrespect me and walk away and go live my life. lol 

Rags's picture

Baring the idiot SKids' and idiot SO's asses by highligthing their behaviors works.  If they choose to not correct their behaviors then calling a locksmith to rekey the locks definately works.

Zero tolerance.  Commit to that and their choice to leave or fix their crap is an effective resolution.

Don't tell  him you can't stand his kids. Tell him that you will no longer tolerate their rude or inappropriate behavior and will not listen to their negative whinning.  Then stand on and defend that hill to the death. In real time  

If they are being negative, tell them you don't want to hear it and to take the negative crap to another room.

Lather.................Rinse.................. Repeat.

Rumplestiltskin's picture

My SO is going through a bitter custody battle, too, and it's causing him to slack on the parenting. He's basically kissing the kids' asses because he's afraid they will "choose" BM. The end result of that will inevitably be worsening behavior. I wonder if that's what's happening in your case, too. If so, maybe you can gently remind him that he can't give up his responsibility of raising them to be decent people?

I have one major "rule", and it's no kids in the bedroom where i sleep. SO likes for me to wear just a t-shirt in bed, and one of his sons has seen me naked twice because he was used to the bedroom being the family hangout space. I thought we had exorcised that demon, but last night i went over to sleep and both the 10- and 17-year-old sons were in the bed. He then saw me and said "Boys, get out! Ms. Rumple doesn't like having y'all in the bed!" Gd damn right i don't. I told him how disappointed i was.

I seriously doubt you just "don't like his kids." You don't like their behavior and all the drama associated with their behavior and also the behavior of their Mommy. It's hard to separate all the negativity in your mind and i agree with quietly distancing yourself for a while, but also not allowing your husband to wine and dine them into becoming little monsters just because he wants to be liked more than Mommy. 

Biostep7777's picture

That's exactly right. I definitely do not dislike the kids. They are kids!! I absolutely loath their behavior though and it causes me a lot of stress being around it. Yep, it's hard!! I'm only human and if I'm having a hard time being around disrespectful behavior it's my right to remove myself. Maybe it can be something I work on but right now? I need to distance myself so I can clear my head. It's been way too much lately and I'm overwhelmed to say the least. 

Rags's picture

You are the adult. It is your marital home.  If their behavior is inappropriate, send them out of your presence to a different room.

Every time.

Stop the conversation, clearly identify the behavior that you are confronting, then send them away.

Do not tell your DH you can't stand his kids. Focus on the behaviors.  Address the behaviors.  Addressing the behaviors is not a personal attack on his children, it is not telling him you can't stand them.  One way is an effective method for driving change in behaviors, the other is a short cut to ending the marriage.

Your call.