You are here

StepDad going CRAZY

BobbyGee's picture
Forums: 

I just found this site in my search for anywhere online that could give me advice.  I feel like my challenges are very unique but it seems the most appropriate help out there goes to stepmoms and not stepdads.  Our needs and roles are a tad different, but in the end the failures we suffer leave the same hurt and pain.  Maybe here yall can help?

My wife and I have been married for less than two years, and her then 11 year old son came to live with us full time.  Adding to the challenge is that we come from extremely different cultural backgrounds where the ideas of child rearing are totally opposite.  While I grew up in America where the view is that from child's birth the parents are the heads of the household, my wife comes from another country where the children run everything and parents simply follow behind and make sure the child does not get hurt.  Children in that country are allowed to do everything, whether as simple as stay up until they want (at all ages), or even reach onto anyone's plate and cherry-pick the good stuff they want whenever the urge hits them.  Table manners are not taught until they start to date and their date becomes disgusted with them, and they are not taught to share until they figure it out all by themselves, if ever.  I their country it seems the girls learn to share but the boys rarely do, which leads to many of their country's social problems (in my opinion).

Now add a potential difficult twist to the story.... My wife and I got pregnant soon after we were married.  My stepson clearly loves his new half-sibling, and I have gone so far out of my way to make it seen that he is not second place to me.  I spend probably 80% of my time with my stepson, 15% of my time with my wife, and only around 5% of my time with my own bio-child.  I will be the first to admit that deep down I hold some resentment over the need to miss so much time with my bio-child but I have worked so hard to see things through my stepson's eyes that I slipped into this pattern.

Now the issue.  My stepson is a jerk.  Plain and simple, he is horrible.  He never tells the truth, he does everything he can to uspet me, he is lazy, he is rude, he is disrespectful, and he outwardly hates me.  But here is the worst part, he does not talk to anyone about anything.  Even his mother!  He has absolutely no friends other than his one sports team where I have overheard his teammates refer to him as a braggart.  We encourage him to get outside once in awhile since other boys in the neighborhood have no idea he is even here, and the only way to find them is to go where he can be seen.  As far as he is concerned he has his mama and that is all he ever needs.  Sure he was raised almost exclusively by her for his first 10 years due to a mostly absent father.  Still, his level of cruelty to me cannot be simply dismissed.

I have never said a bad word about his father, and on international video chats my stepson, his father, and I all chat together.  My hope was for my stepson to see that I am his bio-dad's teammate in raising him and I am not attempting to replace him.  This has not helped.

Whenever we do things as a family, if stepson does not like it he will ruin it completely.  He destroyed the last 4 out of 5 days of a family trip to a very cool and interesting place.  This is when I decided I had enough.

It is sad but I feel like it is time for me to disengage from him.  I essentially feel like I must give up on him as a lost cause, and accept that he is just some rude housemate that I am stuck having in my home for the next five years.  I pay a premium for the top sports program but now I resent all the "extras" that I have poured on him.  I want to stop paying for anything that is optional, and only pay the required things for him.  I might be able to stomach paying the premium for the top sports program because he happens to be an elite athlete who has the skills to likely become a professional one day (most parents may think this of their kids, but professional scouts are already following him at age 13).

I am worn out.  I honestly think I hate this child with every fiber of my being.  Since I have no real frame of reference on this (I have never really hated anyone before) I really need some advice.

Harry's picture

spending like 75% of your time with your Bio kid.  You wanted your Bio kid.  Part of like is to have fun with your Bio when they are young.  As a parent you have to mold your child, teach him good values, manors, the hold nine yards of life.  Once they reach the teens years, you hope you taught them enoughtyto become a good person.

your SS has him mother and BF to take care of him.  Your Bio only has you, since your DW seams like she doesn’t do much.  

BobbyGee's picture

Thank you for the response Harry.  I think I may not have been clear but I am not divorced and my wife has no BF.  I have a home with my wife, bio child, and SS.  My wife's ex is overseas in another country.

She works hard to try to make it all work but my SS does not even talk to her.  She raised him according to the customs of her native country so it is very hard for me to accuse her of doing a bad job since the SS (her bio) is very normal for their native land.

Maybe I set an image of a "Brady Bunch" mixed family in my head and this is entirely unrealistic.  As it is, the more I do the worse it gets. Now there is a time of peace because I told him that he wins the war and he can have his Xbox 100% of the time and I do not care what he does anymore, and just leave me alone. Saying this was probably completely wrong and violates all of the parenting books, but I had to blow off steam.  Since I said this yesterday he has been in his room all the time except to use the bathroom, and was up until 3am playing his game and miraculously was able to wake up at 7 to play again (getting him out of bed after 11 hours sleep is usually a challenge).  I have time to disconnect from him, and I know each day it will become easier. Over time I probably will stop caring at all, and then it will be impossible for us to ever have any relationship other than him being the needy, rude housemate that he currently is.

Areyou's picture

I was told by a friend who had a blended family and he said it takes at least three years for the family to gel. When I told him that my partner and I were moving in together he said do not do it. He had a horrible experience and ended up divorced after four years. I should have listened to him. This stuff is not easy and no one is to blame. I’m sorry you SS is a jerk. My SD is a jerk too.

fairyo's picture

Welcome to Stepworld- it is a hard place that turns reasonable, rational sane people into gibbering wrecks. I wish I could give you some advice, but it is clear you are having to disengage to save your sanity and in some ways, the values you would want your own child to live by.

I don't know what the culture is that you refer to that indulges their children (is it a boy thing?) to this extent but you certainly make it sound like a nightmare place to be.

However, he no longer lives there and when in Rome and all that... I think family counselling might be an option as there seems some disparity in the way your wife may be with her son, but what about the child you have together? Why do you only spend 5% of your time with him/her?

I think you really need to look clearly at the issues here and try to negotiaite some clear ways through- and lots of young boys spend hours on the game consoles, he certainly isn't unusual in that respect.

marblefawn's picture

I think you're probably doing the right thing to step back. It won't make the kid any nicer, but it might help save your sanity. And it will give you time to focus on your own child.

These cultural divides are something. I remember seeing a mom repeatedly smacking a kid in the head in Morocco -- something I never seem to see enough of in the US! I noticed they don't hold their kids' hands in crowded souks with donkeys and giant camels rolling through. And you noticed the gender difference -- Arab culture especially has such different expectations from girls and boys, but I guess that's true everywhere to some degree.

My husband's first wife was not American and some issues really made him crazy -- like the kid refusing to eat dinner and then his wife cooking her and entirely different meal so she'd eat. And then when SD was a preteen, his wife started dressing her rather immodestly, which continues today. I've been so embarrassed to be out with SD, but I'm modest even by American standards.

Maybe it's impossible to take the culture out of the kid and his mom. And maybe it's not even right to try(?) But your kid was born here and it sounds as if that's where you can be the really good parent you want to be. And with luck, your SS might lauch an early sports career that takes him elsewhere sooner than later. I hear some boarding schools have really good sports programs Smile

still learning's picture

You're going to have to decide which battles are worth fighting.

IMHO: The kid should stay in sports and be encourged to do activities during his off season. This will keep him busy and worn down to an extent and hopefully get his college paid for. 

xbox, oh well, if he stays up all night and plays on it without disturbing the rest of the house go for it.

Food, make your plate let your wife do whatever for him.

Trips, if he doesn't want to go he's old enough to stay home alone.  If he does go and ruin a trip he stays home the next one.

Disrespect, once he starts disrespecting you he's immediately referred to his mother to deal with.

Realize that all this drama and dysfunction was in place long before you arrived on scene. It sounds like you wanted to come in, save the day and fix it all. Obviously that ain't gonna happen.  

elkclan's picture

I have been living away from my home culture most of my adult life. It's not a HUGE jump given that I'm American and now live in England, but it's definitely different and being in a relationship with someone from a different culture is also an extra layer of complication. One thing that happens is that we tend to blame the culture rather than the practice or the person. So, for example, I have my quirks like everyone, and many, many times this has been put down to me being American when it's actually just me being weird. Other times things have gone the other way - I've made a cultural faux pas and it's been put down to me being rude or insensitive rather than just a cultural difference. For example, in the US a lot of people talk about baby names well before a baby is born. In the UK, it's considered bad luck to do this and people will not talk about names until after the baby is born - although no one says it's 'bad luck' because they don't want to seem superstitious. I was asking a colleague once about what she planned to name her twins and another colleague really dressed me down for my insensitivity. I certainly didn't mean anything bad by it! I wished her the absolute best. Obviously, I haven't done such a thing again (even though I want to!!!).  These cultural differences also contributed me lettting my ex get away with some very bad behaviour that he said was the British way of doing things, but actually was just him being an asshole. 

We can both wrong people and let them get away with things by assuming or failing to recognise cultural issues. 

I'm all for your understanding of these issues - but at the same time when you make a new family you have to agree new standards - each home is its own country in a way.  This kid is just 11 - the same age as my bio son and similar to the ages of my stepsons. There's no way he should be playing on an Xbox all night - maybe you let this happen once or twice a year as a special treat - but on a regular basis - it's damaging. But this is something you have to agree with your wife. My partner and I had different standards on these things and he has made clear what his standards are (tougher than mine) and has asked me to back them up across all 3 boys. I'm happy to comply. If he'd demanded I make these changes or gotten angry with me without telling me what his expectations were, I would not have been so happy. While your SS is not your child, you have a right to express unhappiness with childrearing standards in your home - esp as you have a child in that home. 

You don't mention the gender of your bio child. I would be really, really concerned if this child is a girl and there's a cultural issue of girls being 'less than'. 

And finally, you seem aware of this - but it's hard making a new family and it's really hard making a new family in an alien culture - as your wife and SS are having to do. It's isolating and can be emotionally devastating. I am over 20 years in my new country, I have lived and worked here and had a kid here and two British partners (as well as dating others), I have played sport and been involved in the local life. I've gone native in many ways, so it's not as hard a thing for me anymore - but it is a sad thing - not being a part of my extended family's life or my home culture. 

TX2step's picture

Where is Rags when you need him? You should speak to a gentleman named Rags he has raised a good step son. Not without it's challenges. Never raised any boys myself. Good luck.

Rags's picture

What  country do you live in now?  If it is the US... then do it the way you do it here.  Heck, regardless of where  you live do it the way you would do it here.  This kid is starting his path to viable adulthood at an extreme deficite.  When he reaches for food off of any plate but his own ... smack him on the back of the hand with the handle of a eating utensil.  No doubt you have already spoken to him about this. He is of the age where he gets told once... then age appropriate consequences are applied.

If you do not set and enforce reasonable standards of behavior then your marriage and family are likely doomed to be sacrificed on the alter of SParental martyrdom.  And that is not fair to your own young child.

So, set the rules, enforce the rules, apply escalating age appropriate consequences and if your DW doesn't like how you parent and discipline then she can step up and get it done before you have to.  If she refuses to step up then she can bite her tongue and have your back.   In this case... doing nothing should never be an option unless the Skid is well behaved.

As equity life partners you and your bride are also equity parents to any children in your home regardless of kid biology.  Being in the same book on parenting is key ...  however ... if you are not in the same book then the one with the most stringent parental standards trumps the other IMHO.

It is critical that you get this firmly established ASAP so that your own child will not be unduely adversly impacted by the ill behaved elder half sib and the less than effective parenting of  themother.

Just my opinion of course.

BTW... my brothers and I were raised in a country and culture about as completely different from our own as you can get.  Standards of parenting should apply regardless of where a kid is raised. Sure, different cultures parent differently but .... you are the dad... you parent as you choose.  Your bride can get on board... or she can abdicate the parenting to you.  At least that is how I would appoach it in your situation.

Good luck.