You are here

Starting my Disengagement today..How?? & ...do I tell my DH??...

FedupAJ's picture
Forums: 

I have finally decided that I need to disengage. THANK YOU TO THIS SITE!!!!  It's been a battle trying to "teach" my DH how to raise his son.  I've now realized that it is not my responsiblity. I feel awful that my SS10 has a worthless BM and BF (my DH) & all other adults that baby him instead of help him. I fell in love with my DH thinking he was a great parent but later realized he is useless with his own kid. But I am done being the only person that tries to make this kid be a functioning person. 

But how do I do this?? What is the best way??  I find it so difficult to just sit back and watch the idiocracy. I used to be patient but now I am filled with rage by the stupidest things (Examples - SS: chewing with mouth open, speech impediment/lazy talk, lack of independence & not being able to do anything himself...DH: playing on phone constantly, watching sports constantly, not parenting but telling his son that he should know better...).  *dash1*

My DH is aware of my rage and pretty much says he is trying blah blah.  It's not enough. So - Do I tell him that I am done doing everything. And I mean everything.  I'm done cooking & cleaning up.  If my DH wants himself and his son to live on frozen pizzas every night because it's easy then that's what will happen. I'm pretty sure SS lives on that at BMs too. 

Any tips on how to cope with the rage??  Bomb

Siemprematahari's picture

I wouldn't announce it. I'd just stop doing it all and do EXACTLY what futurobrillante99 suggested. I would plan some activity that I love and basically tell him enjoy your one on one time with SS, kisses and see you in a bit. You do this a few times he'll see the fustration that you put up with and he'll have no choice but to deal and parent his son.

Your H doesn't see it now because you are there to "entertain" him while he's on his phone and playing games. This is a great opportunity to make him engage his son and spend good quality time with him because you are not there to do it. Trust me there will be some changes and you'll feel some resistance at first but stick to your guns and do not give in.

SteppedOut's picture

I'm not sure what the answer is... I was "expected" to play mommy2 to formerSS (only good stuff tho...no authority to enforce rules, etc of course) and "do" all the work, cooking, cleaning, help with homework (but couldn't make him redo it if I thought he did a piss poor job, nope, expected to fawn over it even tho it looked like a 6yr old did it and he was 12), etc. I did not want to do all the heavy lifting and made that clear BEFORE we all lived together. 

Once the ss started acting aggressive to not only me, but my baby also I left. Even if it was just me (had I not had a surprise baby) I would have ended up leaving. There is no way I would have been able to live with a feral child: watch him get away with not doing homework (eventually that could affect me in terms of skid not launching or being a financial drain even as an adult), leave disgusting messes all over the house - of course with no chores (I'm not a maid!), have poor hygiene (didn't use toilet paper) - again affected me because he would dig in food with nasty hands, was a close talker that didnt brush his teeth, so horid breath that you couldn't say anything about or he would cry! On and on and on. There is no way I could live like that, even if it would have been "ok" for me to disengage. 

So, I guess my point is...now that you know your husband is a bad father, can you live with that? Are you going to be ok making yourself scarce every time ss is there? What about vacations? What if there is a change in custody and ss is there full time? (My formerSO had full custody and never went to see BM.)

I know you love your hubs, but think carefully about this...can you live like this while your dh learns to parent, and what if he never does (to your ideals)? Can you live like this if your dh gets full custody? Can you live like this if you have your own child? Do you really want to live like this?

FedupAJ's picture

Exactly! It has come to that thought recently too.  I do love my DH. & I love how he is around every other child apart from his own. He's even great with my BD16. It's frustrating that he parents her better than his own. I feel like he's given up on his own son because it's easier...and that is not ok.  In the past few weeks I've kicked my DH and his SS out to his parent's house.  They live down the street. Actually packed up their clothes and SS toys. But I felt guilty and we talked and I let them back after a few days of peace. 

I also feel guilty that I'm the one that pushed my DH to get 50/50 of SS because I knew he would be better spending more time with us than his BM.  And now I regret it.  Because I believed my DH would step up and parent him better.  But that hasn't happened and it's making me dislike my SS and DH when he is there. Sucks because I KNOW that my DH is better than he is being. Ugh. 

But to answer your questions...I will not live like this forever.  I need to set a personal cut off time.  I do want to try this disengaging and hope that it can help my DH realize what he will lose.  We'll see....

SteppedOut's picture

Has he gotten better since you gave them the boot, but allowed them back?

How does your daughter react to him parenting her, clearly she is old enough to notice he does not with his own? Was she there when you kicked them out and then allowed them to return?

When you disengage and leave, take your daughter with you so the reaponsibility for this child does not end up on her! 

FedupAJ's picture

My BD was there.  She respects my DH mostly.  He's been the only real father figure she's had in her life. Sadly she's had to grow up fast due to strange issues with her own BF situation. I'm tough on her but we also have a close relationship since was  just us until she was 11. She now sees why I was a strict parent..but really it was just actual parenting.  She gets frustrated at her SB and doesn't really want to anything with him anymore due to his lack of common sense. So I don't make her watch him or anything. 

When I disengage I will for sure make sure she is involved in knowing what is happening.  She pretty much has her own "teenage" life happening right now. Just got her license and has a job and will be starting a new job soon.  So she is barely home as it is with work and friends. 

And No.  DH did not get better since I kicked them out. There was attempt but in my opinion not enough.  I did let him know that and he knows how I feel.  He needs to make a real effort and not just when he thinks I am paying attention.  Because well...us women are always paying attention. Lol. 

Survivingstephell's picture

You caved too soon.  He doesn't believe you because your actions didn't match your words.  Now you are going to have to go hard core hands off for anything to make DH's life easy parenting SS.  

If it was me, I would lay out the new rules, clean house, not cooking for the two of them, etc.... Consequences are: anything left out at the end of the day gets bagged up and put in the garage, possbily trashed or donated, SS's room is his responsiblity to keep bug and smell free, if you have to take care of it, then he will pay for maid service and everything will be trashed,  etc,  what ever idea you can come up wth that fit your situation.  

"Go ask your dad" is your standard answer.  You have no solutions to solve DH's problems.  You are utterly incompetent to solve them.  Curing learned helplessness in a male parent is a tough road but stay strong.  They both have to learn that you mean business and will not back down ever again.  Next time you kick them out, that's it.  Maybe a visit to a lawyer or some time spent researching divorce laws in your state will give you some ammo to work with.  Knowledge is power.  Its good to know where you stand.  

StepUltimate's picture

Doesn't have to be perfect, doesn't need to be announced. 

You got this! It gets easier- starting is the hardest part. Disengaging will also give you more clarity & better perspective. 

Areyou's picture

No do not announce it. It is not a topic for discussion.The first thing I did was always leave the room whenever DH and skids started debating something. Keep some books in your room and go read. Second thing I did was I stopped cooking dinner for skids. DH had to reassume all responsibility for cooking for his kids. Third thing was I stopped spending my money on skids. Fourth thing was I started taking only DD on outings like movies and eating out. These things occurred within two days.

Exjuliemccoy's picture

Disengagement is different for everyone, but I feel it has the best chance of success if you don't announce, threaten, or explain before doing it. It's a way of emotionally detaching yourself from all things skid related. You gradually fade back, allowing what will be. Sure, we all hope our partners will step up and pick up the slack, but that doesn't always happen. Disengagement isn't really about changing others as much as it's about changing ourselves; our reactions, level of emotional investment, and degree of involvement. It's a daily practice whereby we release attachment to other people's  dysfunction. If all goes well, the shift inside of us causes small positive shifts in those around us, but if not, we're still on a better path for ourselves.

I've actually done it twice: first from all things skid, and later from the in-laws. 

The first was a textbook example of how not to disengage. After almost two decades of doormatting and accepting poor treatment from OSD, I hit the emotional wall. I was spent and full of resentment, and like in that movie scene blew my top and announced "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!!!!"  Did this motivate change? Absolutely not. All it did was bring focus on me instead of OSD's behavior. I was the one rocking the boat; I was the one causing upheaval; I was the problem. That impacted my credibility, and eventually made me the target of relational aggression. By the time I knew I had to disengage from DH's siblings, I had been around STalk for a while and did a gradual Gray Rock/fade back. I encouraged DH to see them, but I was always "busy". I  referred all communication to DH, and stopped being the point person for our household. I gave his siblings what they claimed to want: less me, more him - and they didn't like it. Nevertheless, the big difference was that this time, I wasn't the one making waves.  And I'd effected a gradual shift in the paradigm, so DH had to deal with his sibs' complaints, games, and drama while I was positioned as his sympathetic partner. (See: Karpman's Drama Triangle)

The best thing about disengaging is that it allowed me to gain distance from the dysfunction and ​​​​​​stop thinking emotionally.  I was able to get real with myself, gain clarity, acknowledge my part in the problem, and accept that it's not my role to fix what has been broken for generations (as if I could). When we are able to think dispassionately, we are better able to assess things and make good decisions for ourselves. But it all starts with the decision to step back and try something different.

FedupAJ's picture

That is a great explanation.  Thank you for sharing. 

Disengagement isn't really about changing others as much as it's about changing ourselves; our reactions, level of emotional investment, and degree of involvement.

For me - what you said there was what I needed to hear to carry on.  Thank you!

sandye21's picture

I disengaged from SD twice.  The first time, like you, it was on an emotional level.  DH talked me into allowing her back into our home.  She was worse than before.  When she blew up at me the second time.  I joined this site, went to a therapist, created boundaries and calmly but firmly, stuck to them.  DH has the right to visit SD just about any time he wants.  I have the right to stay away from her and be respected in my home.  I have no contact with SD.  No loss.

I also disengaged from my dysfunctional family.  Most of the 'miscommunication' is created by my Mother who uses the Karpman's Drama Triangle to manipulate her children and give her power.  But because she IS my Mother, I disengaged from her in a different way than  SD.  I'm still in contact with her but use the Gray Rock method you wrote about, and it has worked great.  I completely stopped playing the triangle game.  If I'm the 'enemy for the month' it's fine, 'Oh well!'  Here's a link:  https://lovefraud.com/the-gray-rock-method-of-dealing-with-psychopaths/

ESMOD's picture

First rule of disengagement.. don't talk about disengagement..lol.  Seriously, there is almost zero way that your spouse won't take an announcement of disengagement the wrong way.  "you just hate my kid.. that is an extension of me"

So, disengagement is getting to the point where you don't emotionally get wound up with it all.  You also stop going out of your way to do things for or with the child.  Now, that doesn't mean that he doesn't get fed if you are cooking for the rest of the family.. or that you won't do things like watch him so your DH can go to work in a pinch. (shouldn't be regular business though).  Basically, if you do things for or with the kid it's because it's part of a larger "doing for the family or partner situation).

Honestly, if I had a husband who was playing phone/video games vs watching his kid... I would divorce him.  But I have a visceral reaction to grown men playing with toys instead of working and taking care of their responsibilities.  I have a niece who's husband competitively drives gokarts.. and plays video games constantly.. I think he is a big man-baby.  I  had an EX that played with RC cars.. again.. big man baby and I have no respect for that kind of person so I couldn't stay married to someone I had no respect for.

Not saying that playing some Angry birds..or even a video game every now and then means that a person is worthless.. but if this is how you spend the majority of your time away from work.. or instead of work.. I think that means the person is a loser...lol.

FedupAJ's picture

Totally get what you mean about the games. Sadly (or maybe not) this site is opening my eyes and making me realize I do not need to deal with this stuff if I dont want to. I wouldnt class me as a weak person. I have been through much worse. But that makes me realize I dont want to live like this. So I am at the point of deciding what I want to put up with. And latley...  it isnt much.

SteppedOut's picture

So you have been through worse...that doesn't mean you should put up with something not as bad. Everyone reaches that point in life that their bull shit bucket is full. Sorry, no room for that shit!

sammigirl's picture

NO WORDS!  Just action on your disengagement.  

Everyone's situation is different, when it comes to disengagement.  I went into my disengagement and put DH in the middle; of course SD is grown.  Until I took full responsibility for my disengagement, it didn't work.  I now leave DH totally out of the picture, he was never helpful anyway.  

In your case, put the responsibility on your DH to spend quality time with his son.  Take it one situation at a time.  Your tone in your voice is the key to success.  I found that a low tone and calm gets my DH's attention.  Fighting and anger turns him away. 

Good luck and stay here for support!

But why is the rum gone's picture

I wish I had an answer for you on how to deal with the rage (I walk away, I started yoga - when the kid isn't at my house because there is no peace and quiet when he's there, and I'm working on learning some breathing exercises), but your SS sounds a lot like mine. "I am done being the only person that tries to make this kid be a functioning person" is a sentence I could have written. It's frustrating. I'm also in the process of disengaging. Your posts/the replies on your posts have been really helpful - I'm struggling with disengaging and whether or not I should try to have another conversation with my husband about it, and some of the replies in this thread particularly have me thinking it's not even worth it to talk about it and to just continue what I'm doing. This site is legit a savior for me. I think I'd have lost my shit several times over if I couldn't come here to vent. The only thing that could be better is if there was an ST app. 

Tinx28's picture

I have just done the same thing I sat my partner down and said we have 2 options either I try to disengage and see how it goes or you will have to move out because I have reached my limit at first he was mad and took it as an attack on his son so I went out and left him with his own thoughts and a link to what disengagement was . . After a few hours he came round to it and asked how it was going to work I said I would be polite and friendly to SS but I would no longer tell him off or do everything for him ,I told him I needed to step back and allow him to be the parent and take control  .

We are now a few weeks in since this and I can't tell you enough just how much weight has been lifted from me and it's so much nicer not having all that stress because at the end of the day it wasn't going to make any difference to SS what I did I'm not his parent and he's not my problem ,and since then my partner has realised just how bad his child is and has been very stressed out and now knows how I felt so hopefully he can now help his child and be a proper dad and authority figure  . I hope this helps a little x

Rags's picture

If you are going to do it... just do it.  Go Cold Turkey and disengage.  Don't let yourself be drawn back in.

Don't let any mess build up. Just buy a huge box of massive garbage bags, bag their shit up and put it on the curb. If they rescue it befor garbage day... great. If not... good riddance.  Keep doing it.  Game systems, dirty clothes, clean clothes they do not put away, etc, etc, etc....

Lather, rinse, repeat.  Eventually they will catch a clue.

Harry's picture

If you disengage, you really don’t like the SK.  Problem is with young SK is how long can you disengage?  One year, five years 10 years ?  Somebody still has to teach SK to clean up after themselves. SK has to eat,  ect.  Do you really want to live the next ten years like that, Not going on vacation, Not building a relationship, because SO is off with SK half the time.  Not going to family events.    If disengagement does nothing is a year. It’s time to move out.  Because as a teaching tool is not working.  If you work. Them your money is going to SK some how, way, somehow.  Not giveing any money to SK  but paying the bills because SO has no money after spending it on SK, your money is going to SK 

sandye21's picture

This sounds like the first argument the OP will hear from her /his partner just after she/he disengages.  Continue to be a doormat and you will save an emotionally abusive, one-sided relationship. 

The length of disengagement depends on how the partner responds and reacts to the challenge of making the marriage top priority. Teaching the skid to clean up after themselves, feeding the skids, etc., depends on the partners acceptance of the responsibility of being a parent to their kids.

Your money does not have to go to the skids at all if you separate finances, contribute equally to household expenses, and insist the partner is contributing to a retirement fund.  Vacations, visitations, and family events can be worked out in a mature and sensible manner as long as all people involved know that the marriage is top priority.  If your partner can not accept this they are not worthy of your time or affection.

Believe in yourself and expect mutual respect from everyone.  Be strong and stand by your boundaries.

The Evil Stepmother's picture

You sound a lot like me as we're in the same situations.  My DH doesn't like to be the "bad guy" and parent SD9 because he only sees her every other weekend and he feels bad because of that but my opinion is, is you still have to parent and discipline kids when it's needed...unfortunately SD has issues and needs discipline every time she comes to the house.  However, I am done.  I've filled out and signed the checks for his child support for 7 years (I do the bills in our house) and I've seen about the extras she's needed...I've communicated with BM, I've relayed messages or emails or notes we get from the teachers, schools and after school care, etc., I cook, make sure she has clean clothes, gotten her shower and brushed her teeth when she's there.  I have a daughter too who is 8 yrs old and they are with us on the same weekends so I feel like because my daughter is there and they're close in age and both girls, he feels that I'm just going to see about it all.  He does help around the house with whatever needs to be done...chores, laundry, etc. However, SD is also a bully to my daughter...this has been ongoing for years (I've posted about this in another thread under Blended family issues) anyhow, I'm tired of doing it all and just today, for my own sanity and more importantly my daughter's, I've arranged it where my daughter goes to her Dad's house on the weekends we get SD starting next weekend and I'm ALREADY relieved...when SD comes for the 1st time, DH doesn't know it yet but he is going to be taking over the weekend stuff when SD comes...I think it'll be good for all of us all the way around!  It's time he spends time with her which is why she is coming and it's time he gets to share in the taking care of her when she comes and not just myself because my daughter is there anyway.  AND-it's time I no longer stress over that situation...by letting go and giving him all the responsibility will hopefully allow me to become less resentful of her because of her actions and then hopefully start to regain some kind of relationship with her again that is a good wholesome relationship.  

And for your question-girl!!  BE honest with your DH, let him know how you feel and let him know you're disengaging...tell him you just need to let go so you can keep your sanity and keep from becoming resentful.  He can't get mad at you for being honest.  Keep us posted!