You are here

At My Wits End

SociallyWorking's picture
Forums: 

For the past few months, I’ve looked through the forums on this site and have finally found some comfort in what I’ve been feeling over the last four years. Things have taken several turns so please bare with me as I’m sure this will be a long post and I will be a little all over the place as I have nowhere to vent and none of my friends and/or family are parents let alone stepparents. I’ve looked into disengaging and have decided to follow through with my SD10. My DW and I have been together for the last 4 years, married (secretly) for 1 and married (publicly) for 2 weeks. I am a SM to two (SD10 & SS6) with no children of my own. My SS and I have a great relationship and he respects me as his “bonus mom” which is wonderful but not truly surprising as I’ve been around since he was 2y/o. On the other hand, My SD and I have had a tumultuous relationship from the very start (she was 6 then). 

Note: My DW and her ex ended their relationship on not-so-great terms especially with her next partner being a woman. According to my wife and from what I’ve seen in the beginning of their attempt at co-parenting, her ex was dependent on her in all aspects of life. Just one of many aspects I had to stay silent about as people pleasing is a big flaw of mine. She routinely expressed that she raised the children alone even while they were together, and nothing changed during the co-parenting process. She tried to maintain a relationship between BD and the kids on behalf of their well-being, but things got to the point that he became violent towards my DW in front of the children which led to a restraining order for us all. Before and after this event, he routinely threatened me and showed up unannounced to our home, etc. so it was necessary. So now DW has 100% custody of SK.  

With that being said, I never came into the relationship trying to be anyone’s parent. I tried to be friendly and respectful of them and their space especially since this was a very new situation for us all. Plus, my DW was adamant with the whole “if my children don’t like you then this relationship won’t work.” Again, totally fine, I would prefer for her to prioritize her children and their comfort. Even with that, she had the idea of the perfect blended family which I too wanted for all of us. Unfortunately, with this stance, I had to bite my tongue on a lot of things. From the beginning, SD10 (again, 6 at the time) would kick me, mess up my home, jump on my furniture, speak around me like “when is she leaving, how long do we have to be here” etc. Once we decided to move in together, I still tried to maintain space and respect as I moved into their already existing apartment. At this point, the disrespect continued and the lack of consideration for my space and boundaries ensued. SD10 would take my phone while I was sleeping to be on it in her room, both kids would be in the bed with us in the early hours of the morning…every morning (which was uncomfortable to me regardless of age/gender), I would still have to deal with the talking around me along with HCBD continuing his disrespect and dependency on my DW. 

We did not spend long in the apartment as I desperately needed neutral ground. We now live in a home with the four of us and I have become more comfortable imposing some ground rules and maintaining my boundaries. Nothing out of the usual. I expect respect for the adults and the space that we occupy (cleaning up after ourselves, cleaning up our rooms, etc). As SD10 has gotten older and the relationship with BD has been put to a halt, DW and I have received her ass to kiss day in and day out. Keep in mind, we have had the conversation that she is more than welcome to see him under supervised visitation once he goes to court and requests it (he has not done so thus far).  From stealing from stores, stealing snacks/food from the kitchen, walking away when being spoken to, huffing, and puffing and stomping around the house, lying about the smallest things, and even hiding our items from us. it has been truly challenging to handle. Her manipulation has gotten to the point that even SD’s therapist wanted to discharge her because she overrides the sessions and speaks about all of the positive things she has done and how great she has been. My wife and I have come together on several occasions to figure out how to combat it but because she grew up in an abusive household, she knows nothing more that corporal punishment (which we both don’t prefer) or giving up. We have tried alternative consequences - taking her things away, running laps, extra chores, but I seem to be the only one maintaining consistency, so I end up being the bad guy. It has gotten to a point that I am becoming overwhelmed with anxiety and stress as I spend most of the time with the SKs – pick up, drop off, flexing my schedule for their off days, Saturdays with them as my wife works, there is no space whatsoever. With this comes with SD going the extra mile with her attitude with me especially since she knows better than to do so to that extent with my DW. I’ve now disengaged completely from SD but not SS which my wife supported initially. Unfortunately, it seems as though she was not anticipating the extent to which I would remove myself. I’ve tried to do so gradually but even the smallest corrections with SD would result in her slamming doors/cabinets, throwing herself into the wall and walking away when I’m speaking. All with no interjection from DW. To avoid resentment, I’ve decided that unless it concerns SD’s health or safety, I want no interaction. I would prefer that they work on whatever issues they seem to have in their relationship before we try again to make any progress in our own. Unfortunately, there has been no consequences for our actions & no accountability since I’ve remained quiet. Especially with DW trying to keep the peace and bite her own tongue. I simply exist in the space which of course is frustrating as this is the home I take care of. 

This all came to a head recently as I wanted to watch a movie with SS but DW also wanted to watch as well, so I thought while SD was watching tv in another room, we would go ahead and watch the movie. Nope. DW asks her to turn off the tv and come into the living room with us to watch the movie despite us having the disengaging conversation. So I set up the movie for them and told my wife that I’ll watch it with them another time but go ahead and enjoy then I went to my room. This immediately upset her and she came into the room and expressed as such as she did not understand why something as “simple” as a movie could not be shared together. Which began an argument because I had no issue stepping away but I expected support or consideration if we knew my stance on the matter. I believe there is a difference between her being upset at the situation rather than being upset with me directly. It truly triggered me because we can be upset with me but cannot express any disdain towards SD’s behavior when she is being disrespectful to me in front of her. I guess I just don’t know what to do or if I just need reassurance on the matter but any advice or experiences are welcome. I love my wife and my SS so I’m not to a point of leaving but I’m frustrated with the lack of progress and support. Thank you in advance for all responses and suggestions. 

Kes's picture

I get that your SKIDs have grown up so far in an abusive household, but really, this kind of behaviour is screaming out for firm rules and boundaries and not your DW "keeping the peace and biting her tongue". I suspect your DW is feeling guilty for putting her kids through that, and thinks that to give them an easy ride now, is somehow making up for it - but this is a fallacy.  Her saying early on that if her kids didn't like you then the relationship wasn't going to work - is putting all of the power in the hands of two children, when it should be in her hands and yours. A lot of kids "don't like" step parents, but it is the bio parents job to ensure that they are still respectful at all times.  

I was disengaged from my two SDs for many years, but we only had them every other weekend, and to live full time in a household where you are fully disengaged, is very hard.  Being disengaged doesn't mean you can't speak up when kids are disrespectful or do things to harm you personally.  But honestly, this girl is 10 - which means at least another 8-10 years of shit you have to put up with.  And frankly, kids like her grow up to be dislikeable adults whom nobody wants to live with, employ, or have anything to do with, so she is likely to be still living with her mother when she is well into adulthood.  Do you think you can put up with this? If not, and sorry to be blunt, but maybe time to rethink your plans. 

Thank you for your welcome and response. I suppose I'm trying to gauge the extent to disengage and yes, it is very challenging with them living with us full-time. The disrespect is limited if I don't communicate which unfortunately makes me feel powerless. It truly comes from corrections and being held accountable for her actions. Things as simple as being told to clean up brings about an attitude which is difficult for me to not be reactive to. 

Winterglow's picture

Your DW has raised SD to be the queen of the castle ... no wonder she's a brat. At age 10 she needs rules, schedules and boundaries. Without those she will continue to grow more feral (yes, feral) by the day. Kids don't need coddling, they need challenges.

You said that all discipline methods have been explored and haven't worked. Well, of course they haven't, your DW isn't consistent. Discipline is all about consistency. If a kid thinks that she can get a punishment lifted and not have to go through with it, she will do so. This is what you are observing with your SD. Dsicpline and punishment don't faze her because mommy darling won't enforce them or carry them through. 

Sooooo ... it's time for a long hard chat with your wife to explain that it's time for new rules. Discuss the discipline/punishment issues and come to an agreement that both of you have the authority to discipline and that only the one who set the punishment gets to lift it. Punishment should fit the "crime" and should be effective immediately. The question is - does she see you as a life partner or as a bed warmer? It had better be the former.

Do not tolerate being kicked, cursed at, stolen from any more. Why should you have less authority than a teacher just because you're married to her mother? And put a lock on your bedroom door. Neither of the kids shold be sleeping with you. Can't you see how this could leave you open to all sorts of accusations (the father would make a meal of this if he ever found out...) and where that could lead? Nope. No more kids in your bed. Ever. 

Failure to get this kid roped back into normality now will simply see her getting worse and worse. She won't be able to keep any friends and her schooling could go down the drain completely because she doesn't believe she needs it because in her little mind, she is already perfect. How will she ever find gainful employment? 

I hope your wife is open to listening and discussing with you because you are important in this situation and could be her best ally ... if she'd let you.

Thank you for your response. This was very helpful. I should note that them sleeping in our bed ended quite early in our relationship as I was never comfortable with that in addition to the possible accusations part! I do believe she is open to a converstion, its the consistency part. I definitely agree with that.

Ispofacto's picture

“if my children don’t like you then this relationship won’t work.”

Puts the onus on you to make them like you and doesn't hold them accountable for accepting their circumstances.  There is no way they should have been given this power.  A child given a taste for this kind of power will not give it up.

Personality is set by age 7.  She will most likely be a brat her whole life.

dragonfly878's picture

It truly triggered me because we can be upset with me but cannot express any disdain towards SD’s behavior when she is being disrespectful to me in front of her.

^ THIS. THIS is exactly what I deal with, too. It's easier for her to be mad at you than to parent her daughter. I would re-direct that anger every single time. Are you mad at me? OR are you mad because I'm having a reaction to an inappropriate situation caused by SD...

I'm sorry you have to deal with this as well. Believe me, I definitely pointed out that this should be a simple task but is now complicated due to the choices of your child. Choices that she allows to occur.

dragonfly878's picture

That's it! Don't get mad at my normal reaction to this abnormal, grossly inappropriate situation that you allow. 

Exjuliemccoy's picture

The two most common reasons cited for divorce are differences in parenting and differences in financial philosophy.

Your W is a shite permissive parent, and she's creating a monster who will not be able to succeed as an adult. She needs parenting classes or Super Nanny to put a boot up her butt or some kind of wake up call.

If you can't get her to change tactics and get on the same page as you, your relationship is doomed AND your SD will suffer. Maybe offer to take classes together, go to counseling etc? And it helps to frame things as always being about the child's best interests: You're WORRIED about SD, you're CONCERNED about SD, you want GOOD THINGS for SD etc.